The "Magic Word" That Can Trigger a Drugmaker's Stock to Soar
The FDA has passed out breakthrough tags like hotcakes and we are only in week two of 2018. Novartis, in particular, has had the best luck so far. Little more than 10 months after its approval to treat some postmenopausal breast cancer patients, Novartis’ Kisqali (ribociclib) snagged the tag to treat a new segment of premenopausal breast cancer patients. Their second win was for its drug Promacta (Eltrombopag) in combination with standard immunosuppressive therapy for the treatment of patients with severe aplastic anemia (SAA). With six tags under its belt, more companies are looking to see whether their drug will be honored next.
Here's a roundup of these stories and other top clinical news from the past month.
- Novartis' New Year Continues With Second FDA Breakthrough Tag of the Week
- FDA Hails Novartis' Kisqali a Breakthrough
- FDA Bestows Breakthrough Tag on Shire's Maribavir
- AbbVie's Upadacitinib Granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation From the FDA for Atopic Dermatitis
- FDA Slaps Breakthrough Tag on Eisai, Merck's Combo Renal Cell Carcinoma Drug
Read More From Karl Thiel:
Can 2018 Possibly Rival 2017’s Biotechs Record Venture Capital Splurge?