SANTEN Launches TAPTIQOM Preservative-Free Fixed Combination Eye Drops In The UK
ST ALBANS, United Kingdom--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Santen UK Limited (St Albans, UK) today announced the launch of TAPTIQOM® preservative-free fixed combination eye drops (tafluprost 15 micrograms/ml + timolol maleate 5mg/ml eye drops solution in single-dose container) on 13 July 2015 in the UK.
TAPTIQOM® is a preservative-free eye drop solution (in single dose containers) of a fixed dose combination of the prostaglandin analogue tafluprost (15 micrograms/ml) and the beta-blocker timolol (5 mg/ml). TAPTIQOM® is indicated for the reduction of intraocular pressure in adult patients with open angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension who are insufficiently responsive to topical monotherapy with beta-blockers or prostaglandin analogues and require a combination therapy, and who would benefit from preservative-free eye drops.1
The European Glaucoma Society 2014 guidelines state that when selecting glaucoma therapy, consideration should be given not only to IOP lowering but also to tolerability, adherence and cost.2 The guidelines also highlight that the chronic use of medications containing preservatives may cause or exacerbate ocular surface disease.2
As a result, for patients who are insufficiently responsive to topical monotherapy with prostaglandin analogues or beta-blockers and require combination therapy, TAPTIQOM® now offers the next step for preservative-free power because it delivers powerful IOP-lowering efficacy and has good ocular tolerability which supports patient adherence to therapy:
- TAPTIQOM® delivers powerful IOP-lowering reductions of up to 40% vs baseline:3 TAPTIQOM® delivered IOP-lowering reductions of between 28% and 40% dependent on baseline at 3 months in two Phase-III studies (n=484).3 In addition, a recent review demonstrated that TAPTIQOM® delivers IOP reductions similar to other prostaglandin analogue + beta-blocker fixed combinations vs baseline at month 3.3
- TAPTIQOM® is well tolerated, with a low level of hyperaemia (7%):1 The frequency of conjunctival / ocular hyperaemia reported as a TAPTIQOM® treatment-related adverse event in clinical studies was low (7% of patients).1 TAPTIQOM® treatment-related hyperaemia was mild in most cases and was associated with discontinuation of therapy in 1.2% of patients.1
- TAPTIQOM® is administered as one preservative-free drop once-daily.1
- TAPTIQOM® is competitively priced at £14.50 for 30 days’ supply (NHS list price), enabling patients to benefit from preservative-free power.
Craig Wallace, Santen General Manager UK & Ireland said, "A large percentage of patients with glaucoma have concomitant ocular surface disease and many glaucoma medications may cause or exacerbate this condition. In particular, hyperaemia is a common side effect of anti-glaucoma therapy and is a major reason for patients discontinuing treatment with prostaglandin analogues. The launch of preservative-free TAPTIQOM® in the UK is important, as ophthalmology healthcare professionals and their glaucoma patients now have access to an effective glaucoma medication that has a low rate of hyperaemia and is competitively priced. TAPTIQOM® supports key patient goals of IOP-lowering efficacy, good tolerability profile and adherence to therapy and therefore enables patients to benefit from their preservative-free medication day after day.”
He added, “The launch of TAPTIQOM® in the UK builds on Santen’s commitment to provide ophthalmologists with innovative products for unmet medical needs to improve patients’ quality of life. TAPTIQOM® complements Santen’s existing range of preservative-free ophthalmic medications, a result of the imminent Marketing Authorisation transfer of MSD’s glaucoma franchise to Santen, including SAFLUTAN® preservative-free, TRUSOPT® preservative-free, COSOPT® preservative-free and TIMOPTOL® preservative-free.”
1. Taptiqom SmPC, available at http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/groups/spcpil/documents/spcpil/con1418969000862.pdf, accessed 09.07.15.
2. European Glaucoma Society. Terminology and Guidelines for Glaucoma 4th Edition. 2014.
3. Holló G et al. Adv Ther 2014; 31: 932-944.
As a specialty company dedicated to the ophthalmic and anti-rheumatic fields, Santen carries out the research, development, sales, and marketing of pharmaceuticals. The company has its bases in about 20 countries and delivers products in more than 70 countries. In Japan, Santen holds the No. 1 share in the prescription ophthalmic pharmaceutical market. As a leading company in the field of ophthalmology, Santen aims to contribute to society by supplying valuable products and services to satisfy unmet medical needs.
Santen Forward-Looking Statements
Information provided in this press release contains so-called “Forward-Looking Statements”. The realizations of these forecasts are subject to risk and uncertainty from various sources. Therefore, please note that the actual results may differ significantly from the forecasts. Business performance and financial condition are subject to the effects of change in regulations made by the governments of Japan and other nations concerning medical insurance, drug pricing and other systems, and to fluctuations in market variables such as interest rates and foreign exchange rates.
Nicolas Merigeau / Louis Victor Delouvrier
Tel: +33 1 44 71 98 53
Corporate Communication Director - Santen Europe
Tel: +33 1 42 17 49 50
Santen UK Limited:
General Manager UK & Ireland
Tel: +44 1727 884523