Teva Announces the U.S. Launch of the First Generic Version of THIOLA® (tiopronin) tablets
“Teva is pleased to provide patients with first-to-market access to a generic version of THIOLA® (tiopronin) tablets for the prevention of kidney stones, and who are unresponsive to treatment with high fluid intake, alkali, and diet modification,” said Christine Baeder, SVP, Chief Operating Officer US Generics, Teva USA.
With nearly 550 generic medicines available, Teva has the largest portfolio of FDA-approved generic products on the market and holds the leading position in first-to-file opportunities, with approximately 100 pending first-to-files in the U.S. Currently, 1 in 11 generic prescriptions dispensed in the U.S. is filled with a Teva generic product.
About Tiopronin Tablets
Tiopronin tablets is a prescription medicine used in combination with high fluid intake, alkali (low acid), and dietary changes to help prevent the formation of one type (cystine) of kidney stone in certain adult and pediatric patients 9 years of age or older who do not respond to these measures alone.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
Who should not take tiopronin tablets?
Tiopronin tablets should not be taken if you are allergic to tiopronin or any of the ingredients in tiopronin tablets.
What should I tell my doctor before taking tiopronin tablets?
Before taking tiopronin tablets, tell your doctor about:
- all healthcare conditions you may have and any medications you take including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
- if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed.
What are the possible side effects of tiopronin tablets?
Tiopronin tablets can cause proteinuria (high amounts of protein in urine), including serious kidney problems, and hypersensitivity reactions (including fever, rash, joint pain and enlarged or swollen lymph nodes).
The most common side effects of tiopronin tablets include nausea, diarrhea or soft stools, sores in the mouth, rash, fatigue, fever, muscle or joint pain, high amounts of protein in urine, and vomiting.
These are not all the possible side effects of tiopronin tablets. For more information, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
For more information, please see accompanying Prescribing Information. A copy may be requested from Teva U.S. Medical Information at 888-TEVA-USA (888-838-2872), email@example.com, or Teva’s Public Relations or Investor Relations contacts.
Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd. (NYSE and TASE: TEVA) has been developing and producing medicines to improve people’s lives for more than a century. We are a global leader in generic and specialty medicines with a portfolio consisting of over 3,500 products in nearly every therapeutic area. Around 200 million people around the world take a Teva medicine every day, and are served by one of the largest and most complex supply chains in the pharmaceutical industry. Along with our established presence in generics, we have significant innovative research and operations supporting our growing portfolio of specialty and biopharmaceutical products. Learn more at www.tevapharm.com.
Cautionary Note Regarding Forward-Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 regarding the launch of our 100 mg strength generic version of THIOLA® (tiopronin) tablets in the United States, which are based on management’s current beliefs and expectations and are subject to substantial risks and uncertainties, both known and unknown, that could cause our future results, performance or achievements to differ significantly from that expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Important factors that could cause or contribute to such differences include risks relating to:
- the commercial success of our 100 mg strength generic version of THIOLA® (tiopronin) tablets;
- our ability to successfully compete in the marketplace, including: that we are substantially dependent on our generic products; consolidation of our customer base and commercial alliances among our customers; delays in launches of new generic products; the increase in the number of competitors targeting generic opportunities and seeking U.S. market exclusivity for generic versions of significant products; our ability to develop and commercialize biopharmaceutical products; competition for our specialty products, including AUSTEDO®, AJOVY® and COPAXONE®; our ability to achieve expected results from investments in our product pipeline; our ability to develop and commercialize additional pharmaceutical products; and the effectiveness of our patents and other measures to protect our intellectual property rights;
- our substantial indebtedness, which may limit our ability to incur additional indebtedness, engage in additional transactions or make new investments, may result in a further downgrade of our credit ratings; and our inability to raise debt or borrow funds in amounts or on terms that are favorable to us;
- our business and operations in general, including: uncertainty regarding the magnitude, duration, and geographic reach of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on our business, financial condition, operations, cash flows, and liquidity and on the economy in general; our ability to successfully execute and maintain the activities and efforts related to the measures we have taken or may take in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and associated costs therewith; effectiveness of our optimization efforts; our ability to attract, hire and retain highly skilled personnel; manufacturing or quality control problems; interruptions in our supply chain; disruptions of information technology systems; breaches of our data security; variations in intellectual property laws; challenges associated with conducting business globally, including political or economic instability, major hostilities or terrorism; costs and delays resulting from the extensive pharmaceutical regulation to which we are subject or delays in governmental processing time due to travel and work restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic; the effects of reforms in healthcare regulation and reductions in pharmaceutical pricing, reimbursement and coverage; significant sales to a limited number of customers; our ability to successfully bid for suitable acquisition targets or licensing opportunities, or to consummate and integrate acquisitions; and our prospects and opportunities for growth if we sell assets;
- compliance, regulatory and litigation matters, including: failure to comply with complex legal and regulatory environments; increased legal and regulatory action in connection with public concern over the abuse of opioid medications and our ability to reach a final resolution of the remaining opioid-related litigation; scrutiny from competition and pricing authorities around the world, including our ability to successfully defend against the U.S. Department of Justice criminal charges of Sherman Act violations; potential liability for patent infringement; product liability claims; failure to comply with complex Medicare and Medicaid reporting and payment obligations; compliance with anti-corruption sanctions and trade control laws; and environmental risks;
- other financial and economic risks, including: our exposure to currency fluctuations and restrictions as well as credit risks; potential impairments of our intangible assets; potential significant increases in tax liabilities; and the effect on our overall effective tax rate of the termination or expiration of governmental programs or tax benefits, or of a change in our business;
and other factors discussed in this press release and in our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2020, including in the sections captioned "Risk Factors” and “Forward Looking Statements.” Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date on which they are made, and we assume no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements or other information contained herein, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. You are cautioned not to put undue reliance on these forward-looking statements.
1 THIOLA EC® is a registered trademark of Mission Pharmacal Company.
Kevin C. Mannix (215) 591-8912
Yael Ashman 972 (3) 914-8262
Kelley Dougherty (973) 658-0237
Yonatan Beker 972 (54) 888 5898
Source: Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited