Cambridge Display Technology Announces Sale Of Eclipse(TM) Display Test System To Merck OLED Materials GmbH
Published: Jun 06, 2006
CAMBRIDGE, England, June 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Cambridge Display Technology (CDT) announces the sale of a sophisticated Eclipse(TM) display test system to Merck OLED Materials GmbH, based in Frankfurt, Germany. The equipment will be used to enhance productivity in the development and evaluation of materials for organic light emitting diode displays.
The Eclipse system to be supplied to Merck consists of 192 digital source-measure channels and associated hardware and software, some of which has been customized for Merck's particular requirements. In particular, the system has been adapted for use at high temperatures and glove box operation.
Eclipse test equipment is specially designed for testing a broad range of emissive display devices and allows their rapid and reliable characterization, including measurement of lifetime under constant current, voltage or luminance conditions. In addition to its role in enhancing materials development programs, the equipment is invaluable for device architecture optimization, reliability testing and drive scheme development.
For CDT, Dr. David Fyfe, CEO said: "We are delighted that Merck has chosen to purchase another CDT test system, and expect that this will lead to even greater productivity in the development and supply of OLED materials."
For Merck, Dr. Horst Vestweber, Project Manager said: "We believe strongly in the future for OLEDs as a major display technology, and this enhancement to our capability will enable us to make the fastest progress in our development programs."
Cambridge Display Technology is a pioneer in the development of light emitting polymers (P-OLEDs) and their use in a wide range of electronic display products used for information management, communications and entertainment. P-OLEDs are part of the family of organic light emitting diodes, or OLEDs, which are thin, lightweight and power efficient devices that emit light when an electric current flows. P-OLEDs offer an enhanced visual experience and superior performance characteristics compared with other flat panel display technologies such as liquid crystal displays, and have the key advantage that they can be applied in solution using printing processes. Founded in 1992, the company is headquartered in Cambridge, UK and listed on the US NASDAQ National Market under the symbol 'OLED'. In 2005, CDT and Sumitomo Chemical established a joint venture called Sumation(TM), which develops, manufactures and sells P-OLED materials to the display industry.
More information on CDT can be found at: http://www.cdtltd.co.uk
About Merck OLED Materials
Merck OLED Materials GmbH is a 100% affiliate of Merck KGaA. Darmstadt, Germany. Based in Frankfurt, the company designs, manufactures and markets high performance advanced materials for displays and other electronics applications. The company is a leading manufacturer of materials for organic light emitting diodes.
Merck KGaA is a global pharmaceutical and chemical company with sales of EUR 5.9 billion in 2005, a history that began in 1668, and a future shaped by 29,624 employees in 54 countries. Its success is characterized by innovations from entrepreneurial employees. Merck's operating activities come under the umbrella of Merck KGaA, in which the Merck family holds a 73% interest and free shareholders own the remaining 27%. The former U.S. subsidiary, Merck & Co., has been completely independent of the Merck Group since 1917.Cambridge Display Technology
CONTACT: Editorial Contacts: Terry Nicklin, Marketing Director of CDT,+44-1954-713600, email@example.com
Web site: http://www.cdtltd.co.uk/