Results of Patient-Reported Outcomes Study, Presented at The Annual Meeting of The American College of Gastroenterology (ACG), Provide Confirmatory Real-World Evidence of Improved Bowel Regularity, Rapid Symptom Improvement
Published: Oct 09, 2018
- 84% of respondents in the CIFPRO (Chewable Inulin Fiber Patient Reported Outcomes™) study reported they were extremely satisfied or satisfied with Fiber Choice® chewable prebiotic fiber supplement
- More than two-thirds (70.8%) of respondents rated their bowel regularity as very much improved or improved while taking Fiber Choice
- Some 87.6% of respondents indicated that they would be likely or very likely to recommend Fiber Choice to others, and taste was rated as good to excellent by 93.5% of respondents
- Fiber Choice contains a well-studied prebiotic fiber that promotes regularity and supports the growth of beneficial microorganisms for general digestive health
PHILADELPHIA, Oct. 9, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- IM HealthScience® (IMH), innovators of medical foods and dietary supplements, today announced final, positive results of a patient-reported outcomes study entitled CIFPRO, (Chewable Inulin Fiber Patient Reported Outcomes™), a real-world study of patients who took Fiber Choice® Chewable prebiotic fiber supplement.
The results were presented by Brian E. Lacy M.D., Ph.D., of Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Florida, during ACG 2018, the American College of Gastroenterology's Annual Scientific Meeting and Postgraduate Course. CIFPRO provided confirmatory real-world evidence – in combination with results from a previous randomized clinical trial - demonstrating improved bowel regularity, rapid symptom improvement, and patient satisfaction with Fiber Choice fiber supplement. ACG is the preeminent professional organization that works on delivering evidence-based health care to gastroenterology patients through scientific investigation, education, prevention and treatment.
Inulin, the prebiotic soluble fiber found in Fiber Choice, is a well-studied, soluble, prebiotic fiber found in many fruits and vegetables. In clinical trials, inulin has been shown to promote bowel regularity. Additionally, inulin supports the growth of the body's own beneficial bacteria, including Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium, in the colon, Inulin, as a prebiotic fiber, also supports overall digestive health as well as glycemic control, lowered cholesterol, improved cardiovascular health, weight control and better calcium absorption.
Dr. Lacy's oral presentation took place on Tuesday, October 9, at 1:00 pm (Location: Pennsylvania Convention Center). Dr. Lacy is a globally recognized clinical research leader and a Senior Associate Consultant at Mayo Clinic Jacksonville, Jacksonville, Florida.
Data from the patient-reported CIFPRO study showed that 84.9% of respondents said they were extremely satisfied or satisfied with Fiber Choice.
- Most respondents (80.6%) suffered from irregularity every day or a few days per week.
- A total of 70.8% of respondents rated their bowel regularity as being very much improved or improved while taking Fiber Choice.
- Another 24.9% of respondents rated their regularity somewhat improved.
- Some 87.6% of respondents indicated that they would be likely or very likely to recommend Fiber Choice to others, and its taste was rated as good to excellent by 93.5% of respondents.
- Some 69.2% of respondents took Fiber Choice daily, with 81.1% taking one to four tablets daily, 6.5% taking 5-6 tablets, and 12.4% not taking the tablets daily. Each tablet contained 1.5-2.0 grams of inulin.
"The effectiveness of Fiber Choice in this study, coupled with results of a 2017 randomized clinical trial,1 supports prebiotic inulin fiber as a safe and effective therapy to improve bowel regularity," said Michael Epstein, M.D., FACG, AGAF, one of the study authors and a leading gastroenterologist and Chief Medical Advisor of IM HealthScience. "This important finding indicates that inulin joins mucilaginous fibers, such as psyllium, in improving regularity while also delivering prebiotic benefits."
Less than 3 percent of Americans get the recommended minimum amount of fiber, and 97 percent need to increase their fiber intake.2 Although the recommended daily fiber intake is 25 to 38 grams, most Americans only get about half that amount.3 This "fiber gap" reflects a diet with relatively few high-fiber foods, such as fruits, vegetables, nuts, legumes and whole grains, and is large enough for the U.S. government to deem it a public health concern for most of the U.S. population. To help bridge this gap, gastroenterologists recommend fiber supplements, including Fiber Choice chewable tablets and gummies. For doctors, it's a simple, convenient and tasty way to help their patients get the fiber needed for overall good digestive health.
Fiber Choice can be found in the digestive aisle at Walmart, CVS, Target, Rite Aid and many other drug and food retailers.
The Fiber Choice line of chewable prebiotic fiber supplements and gummies has achieved the top share of gastroenterologist recommendations 4 more than four times greater than for the nearest branded competitor.4
About CIFPRO™ Study
The CIFPRO™ study was a real-world study of 185 patients taking Fiber Choice. The study included 185 self-reported responses to a nine-question online survey from November 2017 to July 2018 from individuals who received a physician-dispensed sample of the supplement.
About Fiber Choice®
The Fiber Choice® brand of chewable tablets and gummies is made of inulin [pronounced: in-yoo-lin], a natural fiber found in many fruits and vegetables. Inulin works by keeping food moving through the digestive system and by helping to build healthy, good bacteria in the colon. This action has a beneficial and favorable effect in softening stools and improving bowel function.
Research shows that the digestive system does more than digest food; it plays a central role in the immune system. The healthy bacteria that live in the digestive tract promote immune system function, so prebiotic fiber helps nourish the body. Inulin has secondary benefits, too, of possibly lowering cholesterol, balancing blood chemistry and regulating appetite, which can help reduce calorie intake and play a supporting role in weight management.
The usual adult dosage for Fiber Choice Chewable Tablets is two tablets up to three times a day, and for Fiber Choice Fiber Gummies, it is two gummies up to three times a day.
About the American College of Gastroenterology
Founded in 1932, the American College of Gastroenterology (ACG) is an organization with an international membership of more than 14,000 individuals from 85 countries. The College's vision is to be the preeminent professional organization that champions the evolving needs of clinicians in the delivery of high-quality, evidence-based and compassionate health care to gastroenterology patients. The mission of the College is to advance world-class care for patients with gastrointestinal disorders through excellence, innovation and advocacy in the areas of scientific investigation, education, prevention and treatment. Follow ACG on Twitter @AmCollegeGastro and on the web at www.gi.org.
About IM HealthScience®
IM HealthScience® (IMH) is the innovator of IBgard and FDgard for the dietary management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Functional Dyspepsia (FD), respectively. In 2017, IMH added Fiber Choice®, a line of prebiotic fibers, to its product line via an acquisition. The sister subsidiary of IMH, Physician's Seal®, provides REMfresh®, a well-known continuous release and absorption melatonin (CRA-melatonin™) supplement for sleep.
IMH is a privately held company based in Boca Raton, Florida. It was founded in 2010 by a team of highly experienced pharmaceutical research and development and management executives. The company is dedicated to developing products to address overall health and wellness, including conditions with a high unmet medical need, such as digestive health. The IM HealthScience advantage comes from developing products based on its patented, targeted-delivery technologies called Site Specific Targeting (SST®). For more information, visit www.imhealthscience.com to learn about the company, or www.IBgard.com, www.FDgard.com, www.FiberChoice.com, and www.Remfresh.com.
Visit IM HealthScience at booth 917 to learn more about Fiber Choice.
Presented at ACG 2018 Poster Session on TUESDAY, October 9, 2018, 1-2:15pm
- (Supplement 193, Poster P1880) Improved Regularity With a Chewable Inulin Fiber (CIF): Results from a Patient Reported Outcomes (PRO) Study
- Brian E. Lacy, PhD, MD, Michael Epstein, MD, AGAF, FACG, Syed Shah, PhD, Patrick Corsino, PhD.
- Micka A, Siepelmeyer A, Holz A, Theis S, Schön C. Effect of consumption of chicory inulin on bowel function in healthy subjects with constipation: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2017;68(1):82-89. doi:10.1080/09637486.2016.1212819.
- Greger, Michael, MD F. Where Do You Get Your Fiber? [Blog post]. https://nutritionfacts.org/2015/09/29/where-do-you-get-your-fiber/. Published 2015.
- King DE, Mainous AG, Lambourne CA. Trends in Dietary Fiber Intake in the United States, 1999-2008. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2012;112(5):642-648. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2012.01.019.
- IQVIA ProVoice replicated surveys in April 2018 and May 2018 that validated the claim, at a 95 percent confidence level, that "Fiber Choice Is the #1 Gastroenterologist-Recommended Chewable Prebiotic Fiber Supplement."
This information is for educational purposes only and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice of a physician or other health care professional. You should not use this information for diagnosing a health problem or disease. If you have a medical condition, please consult your physician before taking any supplement. The company will strive to keep information current and consistent but may not be able to do so at any specific time. Generally, the most current information can be found on www.fiberchoice.com. Individual results may vary.
View original content:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/results-of-patient-reported-outcomes-study-presented-at-the-annual-meeting-of-the-american-college-of-gastroenterology-acg-provide-confirmatory-real-world-evidence-of-improved-bowel-regularity-rapid-symptom-improvement-and-p-300727363.html
SOURCE IM HealthScience