Immunotherapy Drugs Market Size, CAGR, Trends | Industry Report 2022-2030
The global immunotherapy drugs market size was estimated at USD 110.74 billion in 2021 and it is expected to surpass around USD 200.62 billion by 2030, poised to grow at a CAGR of 6.83% from 2022 to 2030
- The cancer segment accounted for the largest revenue share of more than 91.21% in 2021.
- The autoimmune diseases segment is anticipated to register the fastest growth rate during the forecast period.
- The monoclonal antibodies segment accounted for the largest share of more than 76.52% in 2021.
- The vaccines segment is expected to register the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.
- North America dominated the global industry in 2021 and accounted for the largest share of more than 44.96% of the overall revenue.
- Japan is expected to witness a significant CAGR during the forecast period.
Immediate Delivery Available | Get the sample copy of report@ https://www.visionresearchreports.com/report/sample/39474
The key factors contributing to the lucrative growth of the industry include increased awareness about chronic diseases including cancer, autoimmune diseases, inflammatory diseases, and infectious diseases, coupled with supportive government policies for drug approval. The rising adoption of targeted therapies for chronic disease treatment is expected to increase inclination toward immunotherapy drugs, thereby driving the industry during the forecast period.
For instance, in May 2022, AstraZeneca and Daiichi Sankyo’s Enhertu (trastuzumab) received U.S. approval for treating HER2-positive breast cancer. Other targeted immunotherapy drugs include Kadcyla (trastuzumab emtansine) and Tecentriq (atezolizumab). In June 2022, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd. received EU approval for Tecentriq as an adjuvant treatment for NSCLC. In addition, developing healthcare infrastructure in low- and middle-income countries coupled with increased research & development by key players is anticipated to contribute to the industry growth. For instance, in December 2021, Novartis AG collaborated with BeiGene, Ltd. for ociperlimab (BGB-A1217), therefore expanding its R&D activities in immune-oncology.
In August 2021, Pfizer, Inc. shared positive results from phase 2b/3 clinical trial of ritlecitinib for treating alopecia areata. Moreover, the rise in the incidence of cancer cases worldwide is expected to drive the demand for immunotherapy drugs. As per Globocan reports, an estimated 19.3 million new oncology cases were diagnosed in 2020. Moreover, according to the European Society of Medical Oncology, cancer incidence in Europe is anticipated to rise by 21% between 2020 and 2040. Thus, approvals of various immunotherapy drugs for cancer treatment are predicted to increase industry growth.
Scope of The Report
Market Size in 2021
USD 110.74 billion
Revenue Forecast by 2030
USD 200.62 billion
Growth rate from 2022 to 2030
CAGR of 6.83%
2022 to 2030
Drug type, indication, region
Amgen, Inc.; Novartis AG; AbbVie, Inc.; Pfizer, Inc.; F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.; Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.; AstraZeneca; GSK; Sanofi; Bayer AG
- Increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, such as cancer, worldwide is expected to augment growth of the global immunotherapy drugs market during the forecast period. Immunotherapy is a type of cancer treatment that helps your immune system fight cancer. Immunotherapy drugs help prevent, control, and eliminate cancer (help fight cancer). For instance, according to the American Cancer Society, in 2022, an estimated 1.9 million new cancer cases will be diagnosed in the United States and 609,360 people will die from the disease. Thus, with the increasing prevalence of cancer, the demand for immunotherapy drugs is also increasing.
- Increasing demand for immunotherapy drugs is expected to boost the growth of the global immunotherapy drugs market over the forecast period. There is an increasing demand for safe and effective immunotherapy drugs worldwide due to increasing prevalence of chronic diseases and increasing awareness among people about cancer treatment. In March 2022, Bristol Myers Squibb announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved the first drug in a new class of cancer immunotherapies as an initial treatment for advanced melanoma, the deadliest form of skin cancer. The FDA approved relatlimab for use in combination with Bristol's immunotherapy Opdivo as an initial treatment for advanced melanoma.
- High cost of immunotherapy treatment (cancer treatment) is expected to hamper the growth of the global immunotherapy drugs market. For instance, immunotherapies in particular often cost more than $100,000 per patient. Doctors now use immunotherapies in combination, which means those costs can quickly double or triple. Pharma companies justify high immunotherapy cost by highlighting the value of these immunotherapy drugs and the continual investment of their profits into R&D to discover new cancer drugs.
- Side-effects of immunotherapy drugs are expected to hinder growth of the immunotherapy drugs market. People might be on immunotherapy for a long time, and side effects can occur at any point during and after treatment. A study of over a thousand cancer patients treated with immunotherapy drugs has found these patients are at higher risk of heart problems, including death from a heart attack or stroke. Moreover, immunotherapy can take a toll on your body and be both physically and mentally exhausting.
- High adoption of immunotherapy drugs over conventional treatments is expected to provide significant growth opportunities for players active in the global immunotherapy drugs market. For instance, immunotherapy has revolutionized cancer therapies that have begun to shift the curve of cancer patients by increasing their lifespan. Cancer immunotherapy can work on many different types of cancer, and thus, there is an increase in demand for immunotherapy drugs. In April 2021, the U.S. FDA approved Opdivo (nivolumab), in combination with certain types of chemotherapy, for the initial treatment of patients with advanced or metastatic gastric cancer, esophageal adenocarcinoma, and gastroesophageal junction cancer.
- Increasing demand for monoclonal antibodies and biosimilars is expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities for players in the global immunotherapy drugs market. A biosimilar is a version of a known and proven biologic drug. There are many biologic drugs (immunotherapy drugs) now being used to treat cancer, and some biosimilars have been approved to treat cancer. For instance, in May 2022, Biocon Biologics and Viatris (Mylan) launched bevacizumab under the brand name Abevmy in Canada. It is a biosimilar to Roche’s Avastin and has been approved by Health Canada across four oncology indications.
Immediate Delivery Available | Buy this Premium Research Report@ https://www.visionresearchreports.com/report/cart/39474
Key Market Trends
Cancer is Expected to Hold Significant Market Share in the Therapy Area Segment Over the Forecast Period
Cancer is an abnormal growth of the cells in the body. There are more than 100 different types of cancer. According to the GLOBOCAN data, in 2020, there were around 2,261,419 (11.7%) new breast cancer cases, 2,206,771 (11.4%) new lung cancer cases and 1,931,590 (10%) new colorectum cancer cases. Breast cancer represents 1 in 4 cancers diagnosed among women globally. Colorectal, lung, cervical, and thyroid cancers are also common among women. This cancer incidence is expected to rise in the coming years, helping the market grow owing to the demand for effective treatments such as immunotherapy drugs.
There are several types of immunotherapies used for the treatment of cancer. Some immunotherapies include immune checkpoint inhibitors, T-cells cell transfer, cancer vaccines, and immune system modulators. These therapies are used for many types of cancer and their advanced stages. Some of the popular immunotherapy drugs include Rituxan, Yervoy, Adcetris, and Zevalin.
The market players are launching new products for cancer treatment, which is expected to boost the market growth. For instance, in February 2021 Dr.Reddy's laboratories launched the cancer treatment drug Capecitabine tablets in the United States market.
The growth of immunotherapies in developed markets is high, due to increased R&D, with better government policies for supporting clinical trials through findings and campaigns to raise awareness regarding several kinds of cancer. For instance, in November 2021 Novartis pharmaceuticals completed phase 2 trials in breast cancer in the United States, United Kingdom, Argentina, Australia, Belgium, and other countries. Such trails can lead to the introduction of new products in the market and thus propels the growth of the market segment.
Thus, the factors mentioned above are expected to show significant growth over the forecast period.
On the basis of drug types, the industry has been further categorized into cancer, autoimmune diseases, infectious diseases, and others. The cancer segment accounted for the largest revenue share of more than 91.21% in 2021 owing to the increased prevalence of cancer, coupled with a rise in the launch of cancer immunotherapies. As per Globocan 2020, breast cancer and lung cancer are the two most predominant cancers with a prevalence of approximately 11.7% and 11.4%. Moreover, in April 2021, the FDA approved Opdivo (nivolumab) in combination with chemotherapy for patients with gastric cancer.
On the other hand, the autoimmune diseases segment is anticipated to register the fastest growth rate during the forecast period. The growth of this segment can be attributed to the increasing cases of autoimmune diseases across the globe and regional approvals of immunotherapy drugs. As per NCBI research, the estimated global prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis is around 0.46% of the global population. Moreover, GSK’s Benlysta (belimumab) received China’s National Medical Products Administration approval for the treatment of active lupus nephritis in February 2022.
Drug Type Insights
On the basis of drug types, the industry has been further divided into monoclonal antibodies, immunomodulators, and vaccines. The monoclonal antibodies segment accounted for the largest share of more than 76.52% in 2021 owing to increased R&D in therapeutic monoclonal antibodies coupled with supportive government initiatives. For instance, in May 2022, the U.S. FDA accepted the supplemental Biologics License Application for priority review of Dupixent (dupilumab) indicated for treating prurigo nodularis. The vaccines segment is expected to register the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.
The growth of this segment is attributed to strategic collaborations among key players and an increase in clinical trials for vaccine development. For instance, in January 2022, Pfizer Inc. and BioNTech SE entered a strategic collaboration to develop an mRNA-based vaccine to prevent shingles. Under this agreement, BioNTech’s mRNA platform technology and Pfizer’s antigen technology will be utilized. In addition, in March 2022, the National Institute of Health launched a Phase 1 trial of three investigational HIV mRNA-based vaccines.
North America dominated the global industry in 2021 and accounted for the largest share of more than 44.96% of the overall revenue. The launch and regulatory approval of new immunotherapy drugs and favorable reimbursement policies are projected to aid in the region’s growth. For instance, Keytruda, Merck’s anti-PD-1 therapy, was approved by the FDA in October 2021, in combination with chemotherapy for cervical cancer treatment. Moreover, in August 2021, Opdivo (nivolumab) manufactured by Bristol Myers Squibb Co. received FDA approval for the treatment of urothelial carcinoma.
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services provides reimbursement for hospital inpatient treatment with chimeric antigen receptor T-cell therapy. Japan is expected to witness a significant CAGR during the forecast period. The increasing prevalence of cancer in Japan, rising geriatric population, increasing investments in medical research, and well-developed healthcare infrastructure, are some of the major factors boosting the region’s growth. According to the GLOBOCAN report, in 2020, around 27,10,728 people were suffering from cancer in Japan, with about 10,28,658 newly diagnosed cancer cases. Thus, the demand for advanced immunotherapies is expected to be high in this region.
- Amgen, Inc.
- Novartis AG
- AbbVie, Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Johnson & Johnson Services, Inc.
- Bayer AG
- By Drug Type Outlook
- Monoclonal Antibodies
- By Indication Outlook
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Infectious Diseases
- By Regional Outlook
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America
- MEATop of Form
Click Here to View Full Report Table of Contents
Immediate Delivery Available | Buy this Premium Research Report@ https://www.visionresearchreports.com/report/cart/39474
You can place an order or ask any questions, please feel free to contact at firstname.lastname@example.org | +1 9197 992 333