The Toxin Innovation Group at AbbVie seeks a highly skilled and motivated bioinformatics scientist (Senior Scientist I, bioinformatics) focused on novel neurotoxin discovery research. The Senior Scientist will play an integral role in our research team, contributing to the generation, analysis and interpretation of genomic data to advance our understanding of various microbial neurotoxins and their biotherapeutic applications.
The ideal candidate will have a strong and established background in operating NGS platforms and utilizing various bioinformatics tools to process high-throughput sequencing data, which includes but is not limited to whole genome sequencing, RNA-seq, CHIP-seq, etc. He/She/They will have experience with employing advanced bioinformatics methods to identify and analyze genes, regulatory elements, and other functional elements within genomes. They will also have expertise applying data mining techniques to uncover hidden patterns and relationships within genomic data. The candidate will have a working knowledge of improving and developing new bioinformatics methods for data analysis, visualization, and interpretation of various types of omics data to solve biological problems.
The candidate will be able to maintain the laboratory environment and data storage workflows in compliance with regulatory and company expectations. Experience managing multiple projects under restricted timelines is a plus.
• Design, optimize, and execute library preparation protocols for a variety of Next-Generation Sequencing (NGS) platforms (e.g., Illumina, Oxford Nanopore Technologies) including DNA, RNA and other sample types. Operate and maintain NGS instruments, including sequencers and other associated equipment. Perform regular quality control checks to ensure accurate and reliable sequencing results.
• Employ advanced bioinformatics tools and algorithms to process NGS data and generate meaningful biological insights to understand microbial genomes, ensuring quality control and accurate data presentation.
• Identify and annotate genes, proteins, and non-coding regions within microbial genomes, focusing on potential functional elements and regulatory elements.
• Conduct comparative genomics analysis and phylogenetic analysis to assess the conservation and diversity of novel biological functions across microbial species and strains.
• Integrate genomic data with other omics data, such as transcriptomic and proteomics, to gain a comprehensive understanding of microbial systems.
• Continuously develop and optimize bioinformatics algorithms and pipelines to efficiently mine and analyze large-scale omics datasets.
• Collaborate effectively with interdisciplinary teams to integrate genomic findings into broader research projects.
Job Qualifications (minimum requirements):
• Proven hands-on experience with NGS library preparation and operation of NGS instruments. Experience with Illumina sequencing is required and familiarity with Oxford Nanopore sequencing is highly desirable.
• Strong expertise in bioinformatics tools, databases and software for genomic data analysis, functional annotation, comparative genomics, and algorithm development. Proficiency in relevant programming languages (e.g., Python, R, Perl) and a Linux environment.
• Strong skills with functional annotation and new functional property identification of microbial genomes.
• In depth knowledge of high-throughput omics technologies such as metagenomics, gene expression transcriptomics, proteomics, metabolomics etc.
• Preferred knowledge of new techniques and methodologies in the field of microbiology, molecular biology and microbial ecology.
• Familiarity with statistical methods, data visualization and database management techniques for omics data.
• Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively.
• A collaborative mindset and the ability to work effectively within interdisciplinary research teams.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to convey complex scientific concepts to both technical and non-technical audiences.
• A track record of scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals related to computational biology and genomics is advantageous.
Education & Experience:
· PhD in Bioinformatics, Computer Science, Biostatistics, Genomics or equivalent field with 0-4 years of related work experience; Master’s Degree Science with 8+ years of related work;
· Postdoctoral or industrial experience is preferred in biotech or pharma discovery research
The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.