Your work will change lives. Including your own.
The Impact You Will Make
Recursion is the leader in tech-bio, harnessing our ability to produce and compute large amounts of data in an effort to industrialize drug discovery. As a summer Chemistry Intern, you will contribute to a team of chemists, biologists, automation engineers and data scientists who are collectively working on our mission of decoding biology to radically improve lives. By leveraging your experience in these fields you will:
- Engage in and lead a project that harnesses analytical chemistry, biochemistry, and data science to continue our build of industrialized drug discovery workflows
- Bring insights into new technologies and methodologies that can be incorporated into our operating system, with primary consideration given to mass spectrometry
- Gain invaluable experience in a cutting edge drug discovery environment
You’ll play a critical role in identifying drug candidates and characterizing a compound’s drug-like properties by executing a panel of assays. On a daily basis, you will draw upon basic molecular biology and analytical chemistry techniques and interact with a variety of laboratory instrumentation. You can expect to work in a fast-paced and exciting environment. On normal workdays, this will include preparing instrumentation for daily use, preparing reagents, performing routine maintenance on equipment, checking for experimental readiness, overseeing experimental execution, performing routine data analysis and QC checks, and completing laboratory documentation.
- Influence - Help operate a world class automated lab workcell, generating data that feeds into our industrialized workflows
- Deliver - Execute on requested experiments that generate data to help us understand molecules
- Achieve - Work with internal and external partners to deliver high-quality in vitro results with speed and focus to enable decision making on a rapidly growing portfolio of pre-clinical programs
- Collaborate - Work in a cross-functional matrix organization with fellow biologists, chemists, data scientists, and data engineers with a passion for drug discovery
The Team You Will Join
Reporting to the Senior Director, Chemistry, you’ll be joining the Preclinical Sciences team within the Medicines group. This team works across the breadth of the drug discovery and development pipeline at Recursion, delivering data packages that drive decisions on compound optimization. This high performing team works together to continually improve our workflows to drive towards greater efficiency.
Location and Schedule
This position is based at our headquarters in downtown Salt Lake City. The qualified candidate will be expected to work full time, typically Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM.
The Experience You Will Need
- Bachelors in the Life Sciences
- Ability to follow Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Able to work as part of a team to produce repeatable quality results
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability to troubleshoot and identify problems that may adversely affect test performance and/or reporting of test results
- Experience operating high performance liquid handling equipment or liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry systems (preferred)
How You Will be Supported
- Extensive training will be provided to enable you to work safely in the lab environment.
- You will join an interdisciplinary team that has a major impact internally and externally
- Internal support by a variety of operational centers across Recursion will increase your skill set and knowledge around lab automation, liquid chromatography, mass spectrometry, assay execution, and data processing.
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area.Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.