About the role
Sana Biotechnology is growing, and we are hiring new team members who believe in the potential of engineered cells as medicines, who want to challenge status quo, and who lead with the desire to work on novel ideas. The Senior Research Associate will be responsible for developing as well as executing novel protocols for neural and glial differentiation in Sana’s Cambridge CNS labs. This individual will execute the day-to-day cell culture operations of Sana’s CNS Therapy lab as well as diverse bench work required for genomic data generation and analysis of pre-clinical samples. In addition to cell culture duties, the principal research associate will be responsible for conducting routine processes for immunocytochemistry, analyses, and image acquisition. You will report to the Principal Scientist in the CNS Cell Therapy group.
What you’ll do
- Generation of neural and glial lineages from pluripotent stem cells
- Expansion and cryopreservation of pluripotent stem cells
- Develop and apply multiplex immunocytochemistry (ICC) in support of preclinical studies.
- Performance and supervision of routine imaging and image documentation of cells
- RNA and DNA isolation and preparation for genomic analyses.
- Assuring the quality and integrity of all data collection and documentation
- Performance and supervision of flow cytometry and cell sorting
- Daily management of the cell culture lab as needed
- Assuring compliance with all relevant lab safety and biosafety regulations
What we’re looking for
- BA/MA or MS in neuroscience, cell biology, or biotechnology
- Significant experience in molecular biology and genomic techniques
- Expertise in pluripotent stem cell biology and stem cell culture techniques
- 2 - 4+ years of post-graduate academic or industry experience in neural and glial cell biology
- Significant experience with immunochemistry, digital image analysis, and confocal microscopy
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and independent problem-solving skills
- Proficiency with standard cytometry and imaging software (e.g., FACSDiva, FlowJo, ImageJ, etc.)
- Must be an effective communicator both verbally and in writing
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience in glial cell biology
- Experience in 3D stem cell suspension protocols
- Experience in cellular genomic protocols
- Neuroscience background
What you should know
- Scheduled weekend and holiday coverage required for culture maintenance and analysis, in rotation with supervised technical staff, to ensure successful project performance with sampling at defined time points
- The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $90,000 and $100,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off (various paid time off benefits, such as holidays, vacation, sick time, and parental leave), short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually. For more details on our benefits, visit Sana’s Benefits Portal.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.