Associate General Counsel, IP CAR-T Therapeutic Area Lead
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California. This role will serve as the main point of contact for patent prosecution matters relating to CAR-T cell therapy and Kite Pharma. This individual will manage a team of patent attorneys who are responsible for the development of the Kite CAR-T patent portfolio and patent strategy relating to CAR-T. Partnership and coordination relating to business and research activities are key components to this position. This individual is expected to work collaboratively across functions to advance the pipeline and support existing products while exemplifying Gilead's Core Values and Leadership Commitments.Specific Responsibilities and SkillsThe successful candidate will work on a range of intellectual property issues in a growth-oriented pharmaceutical company. The successful candidate will demonstrate Gilead's Core Values and Leadership Commitments through their leadership of the CAR-T therapeutic area, as well as their independent work. They should be able to identify legal and other issues potentially impacting the Kite business. The ability to work in a highly collaborative and dynamic teamwork environment, providing clear, concise, and actionable advice to Research and Business is essential. This individual is expected to work independently, demonstrate initiative, sound judgment and a service-oriented focus. They are also expected to have expertise in specific areas of the law and contribute effectively to Legal and cross functional projects. They will be a part of the patent product attorney group and will report to the leader of that team. Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead the Kite patent team.
- Oversee and develop patent portfolios to protect the product pipeline.
- Develop patent prosecution strategies by providing advice regarding identification of patentable inventions and timing of patent filings.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications (US and foreign patent offices).
- Conduct patentability and freedom-to-operate analyses.
- Counsel Research and Business colleagues regarding patent strategy, risks, and issues.
- Review and assist in the drafting of nondisclosure, research, license, and other agreements involving the use, transfer, or ownership of intellectual property.
- Review proposed publications regarding Kite's research programs for potential IP issues.
- Support IP due diligence efforts for corporate development activities, including licensing and acquisitions, on an as-needed basis.
- Manage outside counsel on patent prosecution matters.
- Address IP issues of regulatory matters relating to exclusivity.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, Molecular Biology or related sciences; advanced degree is a plus.
- Admission to practice before the USPTO.
- Juris Doctorate from an accredited law school and admission before a State bar.
- Fully admitted to practice applicable laws in the jurisdiction of residence and responsibility.
- Managerial experience preferred.
- Advanced experience in drafting patent applications, amendments and instructions to outside counsel and foreign associates
- Highly developed verbal and written communication skills to deliver clear and concise communications.
- 12+ years of industry or law firm experience, which includes 6+ years in Biotechnology or Pharmaceutical patent prosecution experience.
- 3+ years of experience as corporate in-house counsel specializing in patent law.
The salary range for this position is: $266,815.00 - $345,290.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.