Are you looking for a patient-focused company that will inspire you and support your career? If so, be empowered to take charge of your future at Takeda. Join us as a Senior Director, Search and Evaluation, Data and Digital Innovation, R&D, in our Cambridge, MA office.
At Takeda, we are transforming the pharmaceutical industry through our R&D-driven market leadership and being a values-led company. To do this, we empower our people to realize their potential through life-changing work. Certified as a Global Top Employer, we offer stimulating careers, encourage innovation, and strive for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our global teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Here, you will be a vital contributor to our inspiring, bold mission
We are seeking a leader who is passionate about identifying data and digital innovation to improve the quality and efficiency of R&D drug discovery and development for patients, to join Takeda’s Search and Evaluation (S&E) group as Senior Director, S&E, Data and Digital Innovation.
This role would cover emerging innovations in data products, advanced analytical technologies, product software/hardware platform or digital health technologies. Takeda has significantly invested in Data, Digital and &Technology (DD&T), and we are committed to improving the patient experience and transforming our approach to scientific discovery and development. We aim to expand our DD&T capabilities through external innovation.
- The Senior Director, S&E, Data and Digital Innovation role will reside within Takeda’s R&D Center for External Innovation organization (CEI) and support the company’s business objectives for enabling our R&D Data, Digital and Technology strategy, working closely with the Data Sciences Institute (DSI).
- This person directly contributes to the development of the DD&T R&D strategy and thereby to the success of the portfolio. The S&E Lead is responsible for proactively scouting external innovation opportunities within scope consistent with our strategy and geared to augment Takeda’s DD&T portfolio and capabilities.
- By assembling teams of internal SMEs, the S&E Lead will conduct or oversee technical due diligence activities to ensure an understanding of the potential risks and mitigations of investment opportunities.
- By effectively synthesizing the risks and merits of potential investment opportunities, this person will enable cross-R&D decision-making to ensure that Takeda’s DD&T platform capabilities allow us to mitigate future challenges and maximize effectiveness.
- Conduct search and evaluation of in-licensing or partnership opportunities emanating from academia, VC, medical technology and technology companies
- Triage opportunities on behalf of, and in partnership with the CEI strategic investment organization (Takeda Ventures) or Business Development (BD) group, and/or Global Business Development (GBD), Commercial, Therapeutic Area and Research Leadership teams, and the Data Science Institute (DSI).
- Lead Due Diligence process to drive a detailed technical evaluation of potential opportunities with the business subject matter experts, develop value proposition and metrics and deliver recommendations to key governance bodies in conjunction with the CEI or Global BD Lead
- Point of contact with the external partner regarding technical-related matters
- Work collaboratively with the BD Lead within CEI or GBD prior to and during negotiation of any non-binding term sheet (NBTS) or definitive agreement
- Collaborate with BD Lead for the preparation and presentation of business case and other materials for senior management briefings with support from R&D functions
- Work with key internal partners and cross-functional teams to ensure effective communication, efficient decision-making, to support completion of transactions in a timely manner
- Directly contributes to the development of the R&D DD&T strategies and leads the development of the external innovation strategy, to be enabled through BD collaborations and licensing, and strategic investments.
- Represent Takeda’s R&D DD&T strategic priorities to the external life sciences community
- Maintain a broad network of internal and external partners and maintain a high level of external visibility
- Represent Takeda’s scientific excellence and capabilities through a deep understanding of the portfolio to ensure Takeda is considered partner of choice
- Demonstrate expertise in industry trends in Data and Digital Technology
EDUCATION, BEHAVIOURAL COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Advance degree and experience in DD&T and healthcare industry with a minimum of 10 years in the Data and Digital field and 5 years in the healthcare industry
- Strong understanding of DD&T innovations serving drug discovery, development commercialization process and functions
- Demonstrable S&E experience in a broad range of DD&T areas within scope
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with senior executive teams
- Proven innovation driven leadership abilities in a biopharma environment with knowledge of pre-clinical and clinical R&D
- A strong background of building successful internal/external partnership and collaborative relationships in a biopharma organization, demonstrating cultural sensitivity and awareness
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence experienced professionals
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly matrixed work environment
- Comfortable with ambiguity
Leadership and Behavioural Competencies
- Be a thought partner to Takeda’s R&D leaders to determine where DD&T may effectively enable business critical activities.
- Efficiently synthesize and compare/contrast numerous external opportunities and efficiently identify those that are consistent with Takeda’s business goals and champion such opportunities within the organization.
- Act successfully as an ambassador to potential external collaborators to ensure Takeda is perceived as a “Partner of Choice” while clearly communicating Takeda’s areas of strategic interest and the company’s evaluation and governance processes.
- Drive due diligence team performance and support final team recommendations. To do so, he/she must understand Takeda’s wider business priorities and actively seek collaboration across the organization’s complex matrix structure.
- Demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills and provide the strategic and scientific rationale for proposed research or development partnerships and investment proposals succinctly and effectively to senior management.
Location and Salary Information:
This position is currently classified as “hybrid” in accordance with Takeda’s Hybrid and Remote Work policy.
Base Salary Range: $198,100 to $283,000, based on candidate professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for Short Term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days & Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program and Paid Volunteer Time Off.
WHAT TAKEDA CAN OFFER YOU:
- 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Company match of charitable contributions
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs
Empowering Our People to Shine
Learn more at takedajobs.com.
No Phone Calls or Recruiters Please.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.Locations
USA - MA - CambridgeWorker Type