We go where others won’t, taking on some of the biggest public health challenges to protect and enhance millions of lives, and create a better, more secure world. Here, you will join passionate professionals who advance their scientific, technical and professional skills to develop products designed-to protect and enhance life.
I. JOB SUMMARY
Remote Work Eligible - Emergent is looking for an Assistant General Counsel – Labor and Employment - supporting all aspects of the organization with respect to employment and labor law. The successful candidate is an experienced partner to HR and business managers and will provide employment law advice and counseling regarding US and international employees. This position requires close collaboration and partnership with internal stakeholders in HR, the business units, compliance and the other attorneys in the legal department, with a significant focus on enabling and supporting the HR function.
II. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Advise HR professionals and business managers regarding employment-related matters under US federal, state, and local laws (g., compliance with Title VII, ADAAA, FLSA, FMLA and state/local sick leave laws, FCRA, multistate drug testing issues; enforcement of restrictive covenants, etc.) and, with outside counsel, international laws and regulations.
• Advise HR professionals on emerging legislative and regulatory changes affecting employment and labor obligations
• Review and revise internal policies and procedures to ensure multi-jurisdictional regulatory compliance
• Partner with HR and Compliance to develop and deliver proactive training to business leaders on a wide variety of employment law matters
• Provide legal representation and/or oversee outside counsel regarding agency administrative charges, audits, and investigations (e.g., EEOC, DOL, OSHA and state/local agencies)
• Respond to attorney letters, complaints and claims involving employment and labor related concerns
• Supervise outside counsel with respect to employment (and, in some instances, non-employment) litigation matters
• Advise HR and assist negotiating employment-related documents including separation agreements and restrictive covenants
• Partner with investigations counsel and/or HR or ethics and compliance to ensure internal investigations are completed in an empathetic, fair, neutral, through and timely manner
• Participate in M&A due diligence in support of the HR teams, providing perspectives and guidance.
• Support HR professionals on compensation, benefits, ERISA and immigration matters
The above statements are intended to describe the nature of work performed by those in this job and are not an exhaustive list of all duties. Nothing in this job description restricts managements right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time which reflects management’s assignment of essential functions.
III. MINIMUM EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS
• JD from an ABA accredited school and an active license and membership in good standing with at least one U.S. State
• Minimum 7 years of experience in a dedicated employment law practice with at least 3 years in a national law firm and at least 2 years in-house experience as an HR professional or employment lawyer. Subject-matter expertise in multi-jurisdictional employment issues and disputes is preferred
• Familiarity with employee benefits and compensation is a plus
• Ability to think on your feet in order to independently identify employment law risks and formulate strategies regarding same.
• Position requires significant experience providing advice and counseling to HR business clients at various levels of the organization and deliver business focused solutions
• Ability to think strategically and evaluate potential risks to the Company, including economic, legal and reputational
• Ability to self-motivate, to work with minimal supervision, and assume significant responsibility in keeping with the level of experience in employment law
• Excellent organizational and analytical skills. This position requires fast-paced multi-tasking and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple issues involving business partners in various locations
• Willingness to learn and contribute to substantive areas outside of labor and employment law, especially with respect to routine contentious matters and litigation.
• Candidate should possess empathy, excellent professional judgment, and a good sense of humor
• Observes situational and group dynamics and selects best-fit approach, and seamlessly adapts style to fit the specific needs of others.
• Promotes a team environment that values, encourages, and supports differences and ensures that different experiences, styles, backgrounds, and perspectives are leveraged appropriately.
Per CDC guidelines, Emergent strongly recommends that all employees working on site are vaccinated to help ensure their safety, as well as the safety of fellow employees. This includes the use of good judgment when determining when the CDC guidelines advise that you stay home when ill.
There are physical/mental demands and work environment characteristics that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. This information is available upon request from the candidate.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform all essential functions.
Emergent BioSolutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and values the diversity of our workforce. Emergent does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, marital status, physical or mental disability, military service or veteran status, genetic information or any other characteristics protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Emergent BioSolutions does not accept non-solicited resumes or candidate submittals from search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list. Unsolicited resumes or candidate information submitted to Emergent BioSolutions by search/recruiting agencies not already on Emergent BioSolutions’ approved agency list shall become the property of Emergent BioSolutions and if the candidate is subsequently hired by Emergent BioSolutions, Emergent BioSolutions shall not owe any fee to the submitting agency.