Research Associate I
Job ID: req3631
Employee Type: exempt full-time
Division: Applied & Development Research Program
Facility: Frederick: Ft Detrick
Location: PO Box B, Frederick, MD 21702 USA
The Frederick National Laboratory is a Federally Funded Research and Development Center (FFRDC) sponsored by the National Cancer Institute (NCI) and operated by Leidos Biomedical Research, Inc. The lab addresses some of the most urgent and intractable problems in the biomedical sciences in cancer and AIDS, drug development and first-in-human clinical trials, applications of nanotechnology in medicine, and rapid response to emerging threats of infectious diseases.
Accountability, Compassion, Collaboration, Dedication, Integrity and Versatility; it's the FNL way.
The AIDS Monitoring Laboratory (AML) located within the Clinical Services Program, is a state-of-the-art clinical research laboratory, which specializes in basic immunology and flow cytometry. The primary mission of the AML is to perform sequential studies of immune function in patients with Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) disease or other emerging or re-emerging infectious diseases associated with immunologic dysfunction.
- Processing blood and body fluids from patients with HIV disease or other emerging/ re-emerging infectious diseases
- Immunophenotypic analysis of patient blood specimens
- Operation of a BD Fortessa flow cytometer
- Performing basic data analysis
- Performing QC and maintenance of lab equipment and supplies
- Performing cell sorting on a Sony LE-MA900
- Documenting procedures and results
- All work will be performed under Biosafety Level-2* conditions.
- Work may involve standing, walking, rapid mental/muscular coordination, good vision, working alone or closely with others
- The use of personal protective equipment and strict adherence to safety protocols will be required
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below:
- Possession of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university according to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or four (4) years relevant experience in lieu of degree. Foreign degrees must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency
- In addition to the education requirement, a minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience
- The ability to work independently as well a part of a laboratory team
- The ability to lift up to 25 pounds
- Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration:
- Prefer knowledge of flow cytometry but not required
- Prefer cell sorting experience
- Prefer good working knowledge of Windows based computer operating systems
- This position is subject to working with or have potential for exposure to infectious material, requiring medical clearance and immunizations
- This position is subject to working with or have the potential for exposure to laser emissions, requiring medical clearance
Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) | Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran (M/F/D/V) | Drug Free Workplace (DFW)