GRAIL is a healthcare company whose mission is to detect cancer early, when it can be cured. GRAIL is focused on alleviating the global burden of cancer by developing pioneering technology to detect and identify multiple deadly cancer types early. The company is using the power of next-generation sequencing, population-scale clinical studies, and state-of-the-art computer science and data science to enhance the scientific understanding of cancer biology, and to develop its multi-cancer early detection blood test. GRAIL is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA with locations in Washington, D.C., North Carolina, and the United Kingdom. GRAIL, LLC is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ:ILMN). For more information, please visit www.grail.com
As the Assistant General Counsel, Intellectual Property, you will support all aspects of GRAIL’s global Intellectual Property portfolio strategy, with a focus on patent preparation and prosecution in the life sciences and bioinformatics spaces. This role is based in Menlo Park, CA requiring an on site presence of two days or more a week. This role requires periodic travel, including travel to our affiliate GRAIL location in Raleigh, NC.You will:
Your background should include:
- Report directly to the Head of Intellectual Property and lead a team of IP professionals/attorneys to develop and implement strategic IP plans and initiatives Assist in the implementation of IP programs and strategies in line with GRAIL’s business priorities and goals, with a focus on strategic US and ex-US patent filings and prosecution.
- Collaborate with research and product development teams to identify and capture high value innovation, and identify the best forms of IP protection for such innovation
- Manage internal and external resources for the preparation, filing, prosecution, strategy and management of U.S. and international patent and trademark portfolios
- Partner with R&D and commercial business units as an IP generalist, including monitoring and analyzing competitive intellectual property and product offerings, coordinating patent landscape searches and analyses, and supporting corporate IP awareness through IP training
- 10+ years experience practicing international patent prosecution, with prior in-house experience preferred
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree, admittance to California bar and in good standing, and registration to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Demonstrated success managing direct reports
- Technical background and advanced degree in life sciences (e.g., biochemistry or molecular biology, ideally, with at least some bioinformatics and/or data science experience)
- Demonstrated experience and track record of success building and maintaining a global intellectual property and patent portfolio
- Experience in preparing and prosecuting domestic and international patent applications, and providing patentability, validity, and infringement assessments
- Experience with global patent prosecution, patent appeals, post-grant proceedings, and European opposition proceedings
- Ability to set priorities and work under pressure to meet deadlines required and to flexibly change priorities as needed
- Strong ability communicate complex patent and technical issues to management
- Strong organizational skills, keen attention to detail, and ability to prioritize projects
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
The expected, full-time, annual base pay scale for this position is $238K-$300K. Actual base pay will consider skills, experience, and location.
Based on the role, colleagues may be eligible to participate in an annual bonus plan tied to company and individual performance, or an incentive plan. We also offer a long-term incentive plan to align company and colleague success over time.
In addition, GRAIL offers a progressive benefit package, including flexible time-off, a 401k with a company match, and alongside our medical, dental, vision plans, carefully selected mindfulness offerings.
GRAIL is an Equal Employment Office and Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We will reasonably accommodate all individuals with disabilities so that they can participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us
to request accommodation. GRAIL maintains a drug-free workplace.