Visterra is seeking a highly talented, self-motivated and innovative Postdoctoral Research Fellow to join our Technology Platform team. The fellow will lead the conceptualization and implementation of advanced machine learning approaches to large single cell, spatial and multi-omic datasets. The role will involve developing creative approaches to leverage machine learning methods, including foundation models, and extracting new insights and predictions about diseases and therapeutics from multi-omic data. The fellow will collaborate with biologists at Visterra to apply the approaches to the discovery of novel therapeutics, chart deeper understanding of diseases, and identification of novel targets.
Candidates should possess a strong background in computational biology and bioinformatics approaches with emphasis on single cell genomics (scRNA-seq) or related big data genomics/omics analyses. Candidates should also have experience with deep learning approaches. The position requires the candidate to be highly motivated, demonstrate a strong desire to learn, be a critical thinker, and be highly collaborative. Visterra offers the fellow an excellent opportunity to advance knowledge and capabilities in an interdisciplinary team of scientists and help make a difference for patients suffering from debilitating diseases.
This is a temporary, full-time position located at Visterra’s offices in Waltham, MA, with an expected length of 18 months with the potential of converting to a regular full-time position. At Visterra we are making a positive impact on people’s lives through better medicine with a team that champions innovation, teamwork, and perseverance.
About Visterra’s Technology Platform
This team is an interdisciplinary group of wet-lab biologists and computational biologists that apply single cell genomics, spatial transcriptomics, and other multi-omic approaches to a variety of important aspects of the therapeutic discovery and development process, including new target identification, disease characterization, mechanism of action, and clinical biomarkers.
- Develop and implement advanced machine learning, deep learning and other new methods to enable novel insights from large-scale multi-omic single cell and spatial datasets.
- Collaborate with internal and external computational and experimental scientists, as well as clinicians to derive insights from multi-omic single cell and spatial genomics datasets to support the development of novel therapeutics.
- Independently analyze scientific results, troubleshoot methods, and conceive creative solutions and workflows to address challenges.
- Distill complex data analyses and effectively communicate key findings both informally and in meetings with colleagues and management.
- Participate in research team meetings, and proactively suggest new ways to impact programs from discovery through the clinic.
- Maintain expertise in the field by staying current with relevant literature, proactively evaluating new technologies, and implementing in-house where appropriate.
- Opportunities to present at conferences and publish in scientific journals.
- Travel: Possible travel to local and national conferences
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in computational biology, bioinformatics, or a related discipline (0 years of post-graduate experience required).
- Demonstrated expertise with computational approaches to analyze large, multi-dimensional datasets, preferably in single cell genomics (scRNA-seq).
- Strong experience in machine learning and deep learning for predictive and generative modeling.
- Proficient in computational single cell genomics tools/algorithms, such as Seurat, Scanpy, and related methods.
- Highly proficient with R and/or Python for analysis of large and multi-dimensional biological datasets.
- Comfortable working in high-performance computing and/or cloud environments.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams, displaying excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong knowledge, learning and problem solving skills.
- Exceptional communication skills (written and verbal), with a proven ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, precise, and actionable manner to diverse teams having different levels of technical knowledge.
- Enthusiastic about developing computational technologies for biological research to support creating new therapeutics for the improvement of patients’ lives.
We are a team of 110 talented and driven people working passionately and collaboratively to develop a robust pipeline of innovative antibody-based therapies for patients with unmet needs. Our proprietary technology platform powered by our state-of-the-art laboratory enables the design and engineering of precision antibody-based product candidates that specifically bind to, and modulate, key disease targets for the treatment of patients with kidney diseases and other hard-to-treat diseases. Visterra is a subsidiary of Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. of Japan.
As a member of the Otsuka family of companies, we have the advantage of being a dynamic, nimble, innovative organization where you can make direct, meaningful impacts while benefiting from the support, stability, and long-term perspective of a 100-year-old global company.
Visterra provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.