Working with Us
Challenging. Meaningful. Life-changing. Those arent words that are usually associated with a job. But working at Bristol Myers Squibb is anything but usual. Here, uniquely interesting work happens every day, in every department. From optimizing a production line to the latest breakthroughs in cell therapy, this is work that transforms the lives of patients, and the careers of those who do it. Youll get the chance to grow and thrive through opportunities uncommon in scale and scope, alongside high-achieving teams rich in diversity. Take your career farther than you thought possible.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives. Read more: careers.bms.com/working-with-us.
Position: Specialist, IT Site Services, Lab Computing
Location: Seattle, WA
At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision transforming patients lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology, and cardiovascular disease and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference. ￼
BMS Lab Computing Services (LCS) is an enterprise IT service responsible for the management and support of the computers associated with scientific instrumentation in laboratories. The critical nature of these systems requires the appropriate support to ensure a highly stable, secure, and reliable computing environment.
This role will provide support for the lab computing (benchtop) environment at our Seattle, WA locations.
Adherence to Standard Operating Procedures, timely execution of work, collaboration with scientists, IT colleagues, and vendors are essential to ensure maximum productivity for the bench scientist as well as to ensure the integrity of both the laboratory data collected and the systems used to collect the data.
Desired Candidate Characteristics:
- Have a strong commitment to a career in technology with a passion for healthcare
- Ability to understand the needs of R&D and commitment to deliver the best user experience
- Able to collaborate across multiple teams
- Agility to learn new tools and processes
- Excellent communication skills
- Innovative and inquisitive nature to ask questions, offer bold ideas and challenge the status quo
- Participate in and serve as technical lead for projects in support of laboratory computing for the San Diego sites, collaborating with IT Staff and clients at all BMS locations
- Identify, research and prototype new technologies to streamline, facilitate & integrate laboratory operations in a reliable and secure manner, and to maximize the productivity of scientists.
- Develop an understanding of the organization and various business units LCS supports. Form strong relationships with scientists from different business areas, IT peers, and external partners working with BMS in support of the laboratory computing environment.
- Collaborate with scientists, vendors, and IT colleagues on new systems implementation, integration, and administration. Coordinate refreshes of benchtop systems ready for hardware or OS refresh
- Participate in the installation, documentation, and testing of upgraded instruments. Deploy or update data management tools for backup and archive.
- Work with LCS Systems Management team to understand the benchtop imaging process, core benchtop suite of applications and systems management tools to be utilized on all systems. (ie. Altiris Client Management Suite, Active Directory, Acronis). Verify all standard security tools and configurations are applied consistently.
- Act as an escalation point to troubleshoot and assist in technical support of both instrument software installed on benchtops and connectivity between benchtop and instrument. This includes issue resolution for incidents escalated past tier two support and monitoring all incidents and requests at assigned sites in the service desk tracking tool.
Qualifications & Experience
- Analytical and problem-solving skills using logical reasoning
- Demand management skills - ability to manage multiple requests for work, engage with IT groups and the business to resource and prioritize.
- Effectively balance tactical and strategic work
- Experience supporting a scientific laboratory environment
- Preferred candidates have experience in these areas:
- Installing, configuring, and supporting systems and applications in lab environments.
- Administration, configuration, and troubleshooting of PC hardware and software in a Microsoft Windows /Active Directory environment.
- Working knowledge of TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, and LAN/WAN networks
- Windows 7 and Windows 10 operating systems knowledge
- Familiarity with Service Now
- An understanding of laboratory science in the pharmaceutical industry
- Identifies opportunities to improve and grow, balancing performance feedback and career development
- Applies a continuous improvement mindset in enhancing efficiency, quality and effectiveness or their work outputs.
- Displays understanding of performance metrics driving the team's goals and questions the external environment and its' implication on the goals and strategies.
- Able to review multiple factors of data and can effectively organize information to compare and assess short and long-term implications. Can create a well-developed recommendation and sound actions.
Why You Should Apply
Around the world, we are passionate about making an impact on the lives of patients with serious diseases. Empowered to apply our individual talents and diverse perspectives in an inclusive culture, our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion, and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Bristol Myers Squibb recognizes the importance of balance and flexibility in our work environment. We offer a wide variety of competitive benefits, services and programs that provide our employees with the resources to pursue their goals, both at work and in their personal lives.
Our company is committed to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request an accommodation prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, or any part of the recruitment process direct your inquiries to email@example.com. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
If you come across a role that intrigues you but doesnt perfectly line up with your resume, we encourage you to apply anyway. You could be one step away from work that will transform your life and career.
Uniquely Interesting Work, Life-changing Careers
With a single vision as inspiring as Transforming patients lives through science , every BMS employee plays an integral role in work that goes far beyond ordinary. Each of us is empowered to apply our individual talents and unique perspectives in an inclusive culture, promoting diversity in clinical trials, while our shared values of passion, innovation, urgency, accountability, inclusion and integrity bring out the highest potential of each of our colleagues.
Physical presence at the BMS worksite or physical presence in the field is a necessary job function of this role, which the Company deems critical to collaboration, innovation, productivity, employee well-being and engagement, and it enhances the Company culture.
BMS is dedicated to ensuring that people with disabilities can excel through a transparent recruitment process, reasonable workplace accommodations/adjustments and ongoing support in their roles. Applicants can request a reasonable workplace accommodation/adjustment prior to accepting a job offer. If you require reasonable accommodations/adjustments in completing this application, or in any part of the recruitment process, direct your inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit careers.bms.com/eeo-accessibility to access our complete Equal Employment Opportunity statement.
BMS cares about your well-being and the well-being of our staff, customers, patients, and communities. As a result, the Company strongly recommends that all employees be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and keep up to date with Covid-19 boosters.
BMS will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, pursuant to applicable laws in your area.
Any data processed in connection with role applications will be treated in accordance with applicable data privacy policies and regulations.