The Immunology group in the Local Delivery and Translational Sciences is seeking a Senior Scientist I, Immunology. As a member of multidisciplinary teams, this individual will apply his or her immunology and immunogenicity expertise to support AbbVie’s toxin portfolio. This role serves as an expert in the development, validation, transfer, and troubleshooting of immunoassays and cell-based assays (including immunogenicity prediction tools and immunogenicity assays).
The ideal candidate is proactive, inquisitive and a self-starter who is eager to learn and thrives in fast paced environment. Hands-on laboratory experience in support of biologics drug development and within a matrixed team environment is preferred.
- Develop and execute robust ligand binding and cell-based assays to support in vivo and in vitro studies. These assays will focus on immunogenicity and immunosafety prediction and assessment.
- Work closely with immunoassays, cell culture, ex-vivo assays to contribute to activities related to the immune response to therapeutics.
- Work on experimental design, troubleshooting, assay optimization and data analysis as needed.
- Author SOPs and tech transfer/qualification/validation of documentation and support tech transfer to external CROs.
- Design and conduct experiments internally and at external bioanalytical labs and interpret results to evaluate and characterize drug-induced immunomodulation of novel therapeutics.
- Provide scientific oversight to contracted regulated clinical and nonclinical bioanalyses.
- Develop close and effective partnerships with other nonclinical and clinical pharmacology scientists, safety scientists, research scientists, clinicians and project teams to foster a collaborative work environment.
- Complete projects and prepare reports appropriate for corporate and regulatory agencies within agreed timelines.
- Assist and/or train others when appropriate.
- Evaluate new assay technologies and other applications for improved performance and efficiency of laboratory activities.
- Prepare analytical sections relating to immunogenicity in clinical protocols, investigator brochures, product labels, and regulatory submission documents.
- Prepare presentations and act as Immunology laboratory Science Representative internally and externally.
- Maintain awareness of current developments in the field through comprehensive reading of the literature and attendance at appropriate scientific meetings.
Education and Experience:
- Discipline of biological sciences (i.e., Immunology, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Cell Biology or a related field); Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 10 years of experience, Master’s Degree or equivalent education and typically 8 years of experience, PhD and no experience necessary.
- Extensive hands-on experience with flow cytometry, image cytometer, immunophenotyping and cell-based assay development is required.
- Experience in immune-fluorescence labeling, antibody conjugation, ligand binding assay and microscopy.
- Knowledge in basic cell biology, molecular biology and immunology.
- This position requires the individual to work with and in areas requiring select agents and Toxins access (i.e. Biosafety level 2 laboratories) Access to and use of select agents is regulated by federal policies. Therefore, the candidate must conduct all work activities in compliance with AbbVie internal and applicable regulatory requirements. AbbVie internal requirements include compliance with ethics, environmental health and safety, financial, human resources, and general business policies, requirements and objectives.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Experience with guidelines that are used in GLP/GCP compliant environment.
- Hands-on laboratory experiences with multiplex immunoassay (Luminex or MSD) and flow cytometry software are preferred.
- Experience acting as a team representative and presenting data and results.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to effectively communicate complex research findings and recommendations and seek to excel in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Understand and adhere to corporate standards regarding code of conduct, safety, appropriate handling of materials, controlled drug and radioactive compounds, GxP compliance, and animal care where applicable.
- Ability for critical thinking and strong analytical skills to evaluate complex information for the identification of key scientific findings related to projects.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple projects and activities while meeting tight deadlines.
- Understand relevant scientific literature and apply theoretical framework to solving problems within scientific discipline in a timely manner.
- Independent, innovative, and creative thinker.
- Ability to multi-task as needed in a dynamic environment.
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law:
· The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future.
· We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
· This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.