Associate Director, Global Decision Sciences & Insights-Integrated Insights HIV Pipeline
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionAssociate Director, Global Decision Sciences & Insights - Integrated Insights HIV PipelineThis position is a Foster City, CA based position
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.
The Associate Director, Integrated Insights HIV Pipeline in Gilead's Global Decision Sciences & Insights (GDSI) group participates actively in Commercial efforts by providing an objective and detailed understanding of current and future markets, product performance, customers, and competitors. This individual must possess a broad skill set (e.g. functional expertise, therapeutic knowledge, communication skills, etc.) to ensure efficient execution of GDSI objectives with a diverse set of key stakeholders - including Global Strategic Marketing (GSM), Clinical Development, Corporate Development, Commercial Strategy, functional Commercial Operations counterparts, Project & Portfolio Management and global Commercial leadership.
This role will have global responsibility for generating foundational market understanding within the Gilead's various Therapy Area's through the execution of market research and forecasting/analytics in key commercial markets (i.e. US, EU4+UK, Japan, and China). This position will support the commercialization efforts for pipeline assets, inform the lifecycle management process and collaborate with GSM Therapeutic Area Leads to guide product and disease area strategy.Essential Duties & Functions: Market research
Analytics & Forecasting
- Market Research Related to Pipeline Planning, Global Marketing and Business Development
- Define Global market research priorities in collaboration with GSM Indication and/or Therapeutic Area Leads to proactively address key business decisions
- Create foundational market understanding through the development of treatment flow maps, market segmentation, attribute/benefit testing, positioning and campaign development, etc.
- Conduct primary research: develop qualitative and quantitative market research studies with physicians, patients, and payers
- Manage vendors to determine appropriate research methodology, ensure project alignment to business objectives and guide execution and reporting
- Examine research findings to understand data, key market insights and implications for Gilead
- Conducting secondary research: analyze secondary data sources (e.g. Rx, claims, EMR, epidemiology data) to produce descriptive and diagnostic summaries, and insights/implications
- Evaluating potential new secondary data sources, to rationalize against array of data sources currently used by Gilead
- Examples of work can include but are not limited to opportunity assessments, brand driver analyses, patient-level data analyses, performance assessments, treatment flow mapping, segmentation, product attribute/benefit testing, positioning/messaging, patient journey mapping, HCP journey mapping, etc.
Insights Synthesis and Communications
- Analyze secondary data sources (e.g., prescription data, epidemiology studies) to generate insights and identify implications
- Forecasting/Analytics Related to Pipeline Planning, Global Marketing and Business Development
- Develop long-term (i.e. 10-year) strategic forecasts for pipeline and marketed products that incorporate disease epidemiology, evolving treatment paradigms, competitive products and global pricing and access dynamics
- Collaborate with internal experts in Market Research, Literature Resources, Competitive Intelligence, R&D, and Marketing/Sales leads to generate robust forecast assumptions
- Conduct forecast scenario analysis to support decision-making by Commercial, R&D, Corporate Development, Finance, and Corporate executive leadership
- Scope, design, and manage the execution of quantitative market research (e.g., discrete-choice conjoint) to inform revenue forecasting
- Co-develop and partner with Advanced Analytics in development and application of predictive sciences/modeling to To deeply understand stakeholder insights related to patient journeys, physician treatment processes, institutional and provider decision making, etc. and brand interventional strategies for both US and ex-US
- Deep expertise in working on IQVIA and Symphony Claims, Komodo claims, Optum, Definitive health, Health Verity, EMR data, Lab Data and patient chart audits
- Solid understanding of ex-US data limitations and creativity to perform analytics with limited data and triangulate insights across data sources”
- Fluency in understanding and applying mathematical, statistical, and machine learning methodologies to understand causal drivers, measure impact, and estimate propensity or commercial use cases
- Creates advanced visualization for interpretation and communication of granular insights Foster a culture of measurement and impact and incorporate feedback into model to continuously improve precision
- Examples of decisions that may be informed by analytics include progression of internal assets through the R&D pipeline, partnerships or acquisitions of specific assets or whole companies, strategic portfolio mix, product pricing at launch and at the time of generic competition
- Communicate results of market research and forecasting/analytics to a variety of internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization:
- Develop clear and effective communication materials (e.g. reports, presentations) targeted to key audiences
- Present and lead discussion of results and insights in a collaborative, efficient manner
- Work with Global Strategic Marketing Indication and/or Therapeutic Area Leads to understand implications of market research and forecasting/analytics insights for Gilead's business, and develop plans to address these implications
- Lead ad hoc strategy projects and initiatives (e.g. evaluating new indications and markets) for internal assets and external opportunities
- Work with group leadership to improve the efficiency, consistency, rigor, and credibility of GDSI/GCSO
- Bachelor's Degree and Ten Years' Experience
- Masters' Degree and Eight Years' Experience
- PhD and Two Years' Experience
People Leader Accountabilities
- Excellent analytical, market research and interpretive skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to lead, resolve conflict and drive consensus among individuals from a variety of disciplines. Ability to represent the Integrated Insights function on cross-functional teams, including accountability for Integrated Insights contributions and provision of information and recommendations
- Strong communication skills with an ability to efficiently and productively communicate both orally and in writing are required. Demonstrated persuasive written and verbal communication skills and effective in a variety of presentation settings. Comfortable influencing senior management
- Strong command of a variety of analytical and market research techniques, Experience utilizing rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions. Utilizes creativity and ingenuity to develop solutions to complex problems, formulates strategies and approaches that may fall outside historical norms
- Sought out as an analytical expert and, more importantly, as a strategic adviser. Grasps key issues quickly, understands the "big picture" and links market insights to larger issues
- In-depth experience designing and conducting quantitative and qualitative primary and secondary market research. The ability to meaningfully portray and effectively communicate complex quantitative data in an easy-to-understand format is required. Must have in-depth knowledge and experience in a complex franchise-specific market. Proven experience with global Sales and Marketing organizations and experience with pharmaceutical data sources e.g., IQVIA/IMS, SHA and chart audits are required
- Good project management skills and the ability to meet tight deadlines in an environment of competing and changing priorities. Must have strong task management skills to include planning, prioritization, objective setting, and meeting management and plan execution. In-depth ability to use Microsoft Office and other planning software required
- Can deal with ambiguity and act without having the total picture, is able to effectively pose questions in order to tease out information required for decision-making. Can handle risk and uncertainty
- Strong commitment to quality. Consistently and thoroughly reviews work for accuracy before sharing with a wider audience. Delivers final products that are well vetted and reliable
- 7+ years of relevant pharmaceutical industry experience, including 5+ years of market research and/or strategic analysis and planning experience
- Experience in one or more Gilead therapy areas is preferred, but not required
- Significant experience conducting quantitative and qualitative primary and secondary market research is required. Expertise in a broad range of qualitative and quantitative market research techniques, including appropriate application of data collection and analytic approaches
- Experience developing and using Excel-based models and conducting quantitative analysis is required
- Previous experience in launching products, and exposure to pharmaceutical product development and brand marketing are preferred
- BA/BS degree in finance, life sciences or medicine is required, and an MBA or advanced degree is desirable
- Experience in life sciences, healthcare, pharmaceutical and biotech industry strongly preferred
- Some travel required
- Create Inclusion - knowing the business value of diverse teams, modelling inclusion, and embedding the value of diversity in the way they manage their teams.
- Develop Talent - understand the skills, experience, aspirations and potential of their employees and coach them on current performance and future potential. They ensure employees are receiving the feedback and insight needed to grow, develop, and realize their purpose.
- Empower Teams - connect the team to the organization by aligning goals, purpose, organizational objectives and holding to account. They provide the support needed to remove barriers and connect their team to the broader ecosystem.
The salary range for this position is: $185,895.00 - $240,570.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.