Just – Evotec Biologics’ Media Development and Supply group is seeking an enthusiastic and hardworking leader who is passionate about expanding worldwide access to biotherapeutics through the advancement of continuous bioprocessing technology and mammalian cell culture processes. This person will lead a fast-paced, collaborative team that performs two critical functions: 1) optimization of media formulations at bench-scale for the advancement of low-cost biotherapeutics manufacturing technology, and 2) supply of large-scale batches of media and buffers for process development. The position requires strong management and leadership skills as well as a deep understanding of mammalian cell culture and the production of therapeutic proteins. A proven track record of technical skills in this area, as well as experience leading groups of scientists is required. Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively over teleconference and web-based meetings are necessary. The ideal candidate is curious, creative, engaged, and constantly looking for ways to advance and intensify scientific processes, streamline workflows, and improve technology.
- Lead media optimization efforts that achieve titer, cell viability, and product quality targets throughout long-duration upstream processes
- Supervise and mentor a team of 5 scientific and support staff, contribute to resource modeling for media development and media supply functions
- Serve as a technical resource and represent the Media function on early- and late-stage cross-functional development teams
- Transfer novel media formulations to Manufacturing, support large-scale GMP media preparation protocols and deviations
- Author CMC regulatory sections as required
- Drive advancement of the Just – Evotec upstream platform and incorporation of novel technologies to characterize and model cell cultures
- BS in Cell Biology, Engineering, Biochemistry, or related field and 15+ years industry experience or PhD with 10+ years industry experience
- Experience leading diverse scientific development teams
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) level understanding of cell biology, cell culture media development, and related analytical equipment. Perfusion technology experience is preferred.
- Experience with DOE and statistical analysis, experience analyzing data using tools such as JMP, R, or Python
- Experience with high throughput cell culture (e.g. deep-well plate assays, robotics systems such as Ambr)
- Enthusiastic problem-solver
- Strong written and verbal technical communication skills
- Self-motivated, able to make and follow through on goals
- Action-oriented, flexible, and eager to learn and grow skill sets
- Able to stay organized and relaxed in complex situations, keep track of multiple tasks and data
- Experience with Microsoft Office apps (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Experience with commercial process development, process characterization, and validation preferred
About Just – Evotec Biologics
Just – Evotec Biologics, wholly-owned by Evotec SE, is a unique platform company that integrates the design, engineering, development, and manufacture of biologics. With deep experience in the fields of protein, process and manufacturing sciences, the Just team came together to solve the scientific and technical hurdles that block access to life-changing protein therapeutics; from the design of therapeutic molecules to the design of the manufacturing plants used to produce them. Just's focus is to create access and value for a global market through scientific and technological innovation. Our state-of-the-art labs and cGMP clinical manufacturing plant are co-located in Seattle's South Lake Union neighborhood - the center of Seattle's medical, global health, and technology industries and a noted top emerging life science hub in the U.S. Our fast-growing team of 350+ employees is expanding Just's innovative platform and footprint – from our first J.POD® commercial manufacturing facility in Redmond, Washington, to our next expansion in Toulouse, France. For job opportunities, learn more at www.just.bio/careers
The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be $135,000 to $185,000; Base salary offered may vary depending on individual’s skills, experience and competitive market value. Additional total rewards include discretionary annual bonus, comprehensive benefits to include Medical, Dental and Vision and 401k company match, flexible paid time off and paid holiday, wellness and transportation benefits.
Evotec (US) Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, gender, age, disability, genetic information, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.