In AbbVie Business Technology Solutions, we are shaping the digital transformation accelerating the future of medicine—and doing it together, asking bold questions and taking on tough challenges through deep, honest collaboration. For anyone who wants to use technology and data to make a difference in people’s lives, contribute to the digital transformation of a leading biopharmaceutical company, and secure sustainable career growth within a diverse, global team: we’re ready for you.
AbbVie Information Research is seeking an experienced Senior Data Engineer to engineer and operationalize the AWS cloud infrastructure environment to support the high-performing, large scale technology capabilities of the AbbVie R&D Convergence Hub (ARCH).
Under the direction of the Convergence Platform Senior Architect, and delivering on the vision of executive leadership, you will design and lead building the ARCH platform architecture, currently anchored by Cloudera CDP. This role will have a far-reaching impact on the technology at the core of AbbVie's R&D Convergence initiative and will be key to delivering AbbVie R&D scientists the data and knowledge needed to maximize the impact of their work.
This is an opportunity to become part of the team building an integrated R&D data and analytics platform powering data-driven insights that ultimately lead to better, faster decisions and therapies for patients. You will help enable and grow our culture of data driven insights and decision making. You will help drive R&D productivity through shortening cycle times.
Most importantly, by helping to unlock information like deeper understanding of novel therapies, biomarkers that are predictive of response, novel endpoints, and many more concepts you will make cures possible and will make a remarkable impact in the lives of our people and patients.
Responsibilities: (this position is located onsite 3 days per week in Lake County, IL)
· Provide technical vision and hands-on expertise to execute platform solutions
· Understand all aspects of a cloud computing infrastructure, including scale, performance, and cost management
· Gather technical requirements, validate architecture, and create/review designs
· Coordinate efforts across the data engineering, data curation, and platform engineering teams to successful completion
· Guide engineering resources towards code standards and templates as part of data frameworks and patterns
· Demonstrate ownership of technical stacks for individual cloud applications
· Align with AbbVie systems lifecycle standards and processes
· Ability to manage time and deliver results across multiple workstreams at once
· Work with team members from around the globe (onsite, offshore)
· Work in an agile, fast-paced environment
· Bachelor's degree with 6 years of IT experience; Masters Degree with 5 years
· Hands-on technical proficiency in Python, Apache Spark, and SQL a must
· AWS development experience with core AWS services like EC2, Glue, Spark, S3, Redshift, Athena, etc.
· Experience with relational and non-relational databases from a data domain perspective
· Experience building data engineering pipelines using orchestration tools like Apache Airflow, Glue ETL, etc is preferred
· Experience with development of API architecture preferred
· Experience with Cloudera Data Platform (CDP) preferred
· Exposure to Metadata management, data quality, master data, and data lineage a plus
· Exposure to Cloudera CDP, preferably in an AWS cloud environment a plus
· Experience with Knowledge Graphs and Graph Databases a plus
Why Business Technology Solutions
For anyone who wants to use technology and data to make a difference in people’s lives, shape the digital transformation of a leading biopharmaceutical company, and secure sustainable career growth within a diverse, global team: we’re ready for you.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.