HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Do more with the knowledge youre working hard to acquire and the passion you already have. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Through this program, you will acquire the valuable hands-on skills and foundational experience to become the professional you are meant to be in your chosen field.
Undergrad Intern - Research Program (Summer 2024)Live
This could be your everyday
Lets do this. Lets change the world. This internship will be approximately 12 weeks of hands-on learning in the laboratory. In conjunction with the hands-on work, you will have the opportunity for professional development through lab/facilities tours, one-on-one mentoring, and various networking events.
Antibody-based therapeutics are already revolutionizing medicine, but currently require 10X the time and effort to develop compared to conventional small molecule drugs. Developing an antibody-based therapeutic requires extensive exploration, characterization and optimization of therapeutic format and properties. The mission of the Protein Engineering group at Amgen is to deliver panels of antibody-based molecules for evaluation as candidate therapeutics. To deliver such panels requires purification of tens of thousands of DNA constructs annually, at significant cost and effort. The goal of this internship is to develop a cheaper, more scalable process for purifying the DNA constructs that encode therapeutic molecules.
Under guidance from a Principal Scientist with extensive experience in technology innovation & development, the intern will explore methods for inexpensive purification of high quality plasmid DNA in automation-compatible formats. Rather than rely on commercial kits, we will utilize foundational principals of molecular biology to develop in-house methods. The intern will also collaborate with our Research & Automation Technology team to develop an automation platform for high throughput preparation (goal of 1500 preps per day using automation). Over the course of the project, the intern will gain exposure to our industry-leading high-throughput cloning & expression operations, including cutting edge robotics platforms.
We are seeking an individual with strong attention to detail, careful and precise work habits, a passion to learn and explore, and a team-oriented spirit.Win
Heres what it takes to Win
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The passionate and driven individual we seek exemplifies the following qualifications:Basic Qualifications
Amgen requires that all individuals applying for an undergrad internship or a co-op assignment at Amgen must meet the following criteria:
- 18 years or older
- Currently enrolled in a full-time Bachelors Degree program from an accredited college or university with a 3.0 minimum GPA or equivalent
- Completion of one year of study from an accredited college or university prior to the internship commencing
- Enrolled in a full-time Bachelors degree program following the potential internship or co-op assignment with an accredited college or university
- Must not be employed at the time the internship starts
- Student must be located in the United States for the duration of the internship OR co-op
- Junior standing with graduation in Summer 2025
- Degree concentration(s) in Molecular Biology, Chemistry, Biotechnology, OR related discipline
- Strong basic laboratory skills, careful observational and record keeping habits
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational & problem solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently with careful planning & attention to detail
- Demonstrated personal initiative, self-motivation, flexibility and adaptability
Some of the vast rewards of working here
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth in addition to their well-being:
The base pay range for this opportunity in the U.S. is $24.70 - $28.30.
- Build a network of colleagues that will endure and grow throughout your time with us and beyond.
- Bring your authentic self to the table and become the professional youre inspired to be through accepting a culture that values the diversity of thought and experience and will flex to your strengths and possibilities.
- Participate in executive and social networking events, as well as community volunteer projects.
for an internship/co-op that defies imagination
If you feel like you're part of something bigger, it's because you are. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Please search for Keyword R-174368
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request an accommodation.