HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of.
Principal Scientist - Cardiometabolic DisordersLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. We are building upon our solid Cardiovascular foundation and long-term dedication to patients by developing a whole new class of novel molecules and we need top talent to ensure these molecules become medicines and realize their potential for helping patients.
We are seeking a dedicated and highly motivated Principal Scientist to become a member of the Department of Cardiometabolic Disorders within Amgen Research located in Thousand Oaks, CA. In this vital and exciting role you will be an ideator and drug hunter and are expected to identify therapeutic targets in cardiometabolic disease that are tractable and offer the opportunity of delivering disease-modifying potential in patients. The proposal and advancement of a drug discovery program will be based on a sound and compelling scientific rationale that may include validation from human genetics and/or clinical studies. Critical thinking, ingenuity, technical proficiency, excellent communication skills, integrity and the ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment will be critical toward advancing programs in the cardiometabolic pipeline. You will initially work at the bench conducting in vivo and/or in vitro preclinical studies with a focus on PAH, vascular disease and/or heart failure. Over time, you will also demonstrate strong leadership skills and the ability to manage a team of scientists conducting drug discovery research.
As part of the team, the candidate may also support other new and existing drug discovery programs in the department to help advance the best assets in the Cardiometabolic Disorders portfolio.Key responsibilities include:
- Conceptualizing and proposing therapeutic targets for the treatment of cardiometabolic disease
- Designing and performing in vitro and cell-based experiments
- Independently performing data analysis and interpreting results
- Communicating scientific results through written and oral presentations
- Collaborating with teams from other functions in the company to advance our programs
- Documenting work through written protocols, electronic laboratory notebooks and study reports.
- Advising colleagues in areas of expertise
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The dynamic professional we seek is a leader with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
Doctorate degree and 3 years of scientific experience
Masters degree and 4 years of scientific experience
Bachelors degree and 6 years of scientific experiencePreferred Qualifications:
- PhD with postdoctoral experience in cardiometabolic disease (industry experience is strongly preferred)
- Strong target ideation capabilities and critical thinking to enable discovery of innovative medicines for patients
- Exceptional in vivo and/or in vitro pharmacology skills and capability to independently design, implement and analyze studies with proper controls and generate reproducible high-quality data
- Technical mastery of general molecular biology, biochemical, and cell-signaling techniques including immunoblotting, immunocytochemistry, RT-qPCR, immunoprecipitation, and ELISA
- Basic knowledge of statistical methods applied in a consistent and rigorous manner to all data sets generated
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills that enable effective team interactions and communication of key data to all key stakeholders
- A strong ability to collaborate cross-functionally in a multidisciplinary environment is critical
- Capability to deliver high quality manuscripts, posters and presentations for internal and external peer-reviewed publication and conference attendance.
- Understanding of human genetics and genomic data mining for target identification are a plus.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.