CFO MBA Leadership Program
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
The Gilead Sciences CFO MBA Leadership Program is for second year MBA candidates seeking entry into biotech by providing a rotational as well as placement opportunities within the CFO organization at Gilead Sciences. The CFO organization at Gilead is expansive and includes a variety of groups and departments: Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A), Tax, Treasury, Controllership, Operations, Internal Audit, Investor Relations, IT, Corporate Development. The CFO organization supports every area of the company by providing financial analytics, operational expertise (i.e. procurement, project management), fiscal planning, budget forecasting, strategy development and deal execution (i.e. joint venture, partnership, acquisition) as well as managing financial reporting and engagements with external audiences. Program participants will have the opportunity to gain valuable cross-functional experiences with exposure to senior leaders, challenging high impact initiatives, and diverse networking opportunities.
Upon hiring, participants will have the opportunity to rotate through two 12-month assignments over the course of two years or be placed in a two-year specialization path. The rotation assignments and specialization paths are designed to provide opportunities to learn about different financial, operational, and/or strategic areas of the company. After completion of the two years, program participants will continue to develop their careers by aligning to an open position in the Gilead CFO Organization.Duties:
Duties, roles and responsibilities will vary based on the interest and capability of the participant as well as business needs. The duties include but are not limited to:Financial Planning & Analysis
- Conducts advanced analyses for middle and upper management and makes recommendations such as reporting changes, corporate strategy, pricing strategy, and forecasts
- Participates in the development and coordination of the annual planning calendar, budget and forecasts
- Responsible for the delivery of accurate and timely monthly management reporting including monthly financials, revenue reporting, and functional expense reporting
- Corporate Project Management Office
- Manage critical business focused projects including creating dashboards and reports that communication progress, risk and achievements.
- Organize projects in terms of scopes of work, schedules, business plans and cost estimates.
- Create and publish dashboards and reports that communicate project progress, risk and achievements.
- Change Management
- Develop & operationalize a change management playbook that is applied across highly complex transformation efforts
- Create template & standards associated with communications to thoroughly incorporate user input at key points of transformation of process
- Strategy Business Operations - Operations Analytics
- Data Analytics: Develop critical analytics for Corporate Operations that provide leading indicators of risk & productivity for team.
- Knowledge Management System: In partnership with team members, create & maintain system that allows for effective storage, search & retrieval of knowledge on Corporate Operations projects/initiatives/strategies.
- Assist & provide guidance to functional leads on business case development for optimization efforts.
- Work on multi-disciplinary internal audit and special project teams under the direction of audit managers and senior associates to build your skills, relationships and experiences
- Participate in audits; learn audit methodologies, concepts and assist with controls testing
- Hands-on participation in any program aspect when required
- Write and shape investor communications such as press releases and executive scripts
- Manage earnings call process and coordinate deliverables with Finance, Legal, and Public Affairs
- Work closely with the Treasury group to support capital initiatives including meetings with fixed income investors and ratings agencies
Tax - CPA or Masters in Taxation Preferred
- Potential investment, drug licensing, partnerships, acquisition projects as well as coordination of technical diligence efforts for opportunities of interest
- Creation of business case presentations for senior leadership
- Direct and support corporate strategy projects focused on our strategic ambitions and priorities
Treasury - CFA preferred but not required
- Develop understanding of the company's business and transaction flows, and how it impacts and interacts with the IP and commercialization structures
- Work closely with cross-functional business partners, as well as external advisers, to develop and maintain an efficient and defensible tax structure that support Gilead's evolving business needs and initiatives, including supporting business development efforts
- Participate in planning and implementation of initiatives in response to U.S. tax reforms and evolving international tax landscape
- Balance sheet, cash flow and risk-based capital monitoring, forecasting and analysis for the consolidated entity and its subsidiaries
- Provide assessment of issues, perspective on results, and recommendations (e.g., regarding trends that might impact target setting or how a proposed acquisition might impact regulatory capital)
- Management reporting regarding balance sheet, cash flow and capital.
Product / Service:
- Conduct advanced analyses or bench-marking financial and reporting processes to support decision making
- Prepare financial reports for internal and/or external reporting purposes
- Understand how Gilead advances patient care through research and development
- Learn how Gilead provides physicians with resources to better care for their patients
- Gain exposure into how Gilead Commercial Operations reaches our patients
Candidate / Student Requirements and Preferred Qualifications:
- Gain an understanding of the Pharmaceutical/Biotech industry.
- Work in a corporate finance, planning, and strategy environment.
- Develop planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Increase knowledge of computer skills and technology.
- Practice team-based work competencies.
- Develop effective communication skills with executives, business contacts, and external clients.
- MBA graduate from a top tier program
- 4 - 5 years of prior experience - finance, accounting, banking, operations, healthcare and strategy experience a plus
- B.A or B.S degree in accounting, finance or a related filed (preferred - not required)
- CPA, CFA, PMP or other relevant professional certification is a plus
- Energetic, organized and detailed skilled with today's technology systems, applications and platforms
- Strong forecasting and financial modeling capability a plus
- Education and training in biological sciences is a plus
- Ability to dedicate 40 hours per week to the program
- Highly developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work thrive in a team-based environment
- Strong project management skills with attention to detail
- Independent worker and self-starter that enjoys problem solving
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills (e.g. presenting, meeting or workshop facilitation)
- Ability to manage various tasks, priorities and timelines and able to adapt quickly to changing circumstances
Gilead Core Values:
- Opportunity to start a career in the biotechnology industry and gain a full understanding of the day-to-day operations of a biotechnology organization
- Participants will gain knowledge through rotations and placement experiences necessary to determine the direction of their career at Gilead in the CFO organization
- You will have the opportunity to interact with senior leaders as you gain cross-functional experience by interfacing with multiple business units.
- You will develop skills vitally important in today's business environment including team-based interaction, influencing without authority and the capability to aid in the definition and direction of the firm's initiatives and long-term strategy
Gilead Leadership Commitments:
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
- I am BOLD in aspiration and agile in execution
- I CARE and make time for people
- I LISTEN, speak openly, and explain the “why”
- I TRUST others and myself to make sound decisions
- I OWN the impact of my words and actions
- This role is based in the Gilead Sciences headquarters (Foster City, California)
The salary range for this position is: $129,540.00 - $167,640.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.