Join a Legacy of Innovation 110 Years and Counting!
Daiichi Sankyo Group is dedicated to the creation and supply of innovative pharmaceutical therapies to improve standards of care and address diversified, unmet medical needs of people globally by leveraging our world-class science and technology. With more than 100 years of scientific expertise and a presence in more than 20 countries, Daiichi Sankyo and its 16,000 employees around the world draw upon a rich legacy of innovation and a robust pipeline of promising new medicines to help people. Under the Group’s 2025 Vision to become a “Global Pharma Innovator with Competitive Advantage in Oncology,” Daiichi Sankyo is primarily focused on providing novel therapies in oncology, as well as other research areas centered around rare diseases and immune disorders.
This position is primarily responsible for budgeting and forecasting, analysis, strategic planning, internal reporting, ad hoc reporting and analysis, and change management initiatives. Also responsible for expense or headcount control procedures and management reporting capabilities. Develops and maintains a working relationship with the internal project team(s) and team leader(s) or US based Global Function leaders as a Finance Business Partner. Provides guidance to them during the annual and quarterly forecast updates. On a monthly basis prepares actual versus budget spending reports and communicates to relevant Team or Function leaders. Proactively investigates the reasons for any deviations from forecasted spending to support business decisions. Proficient in economic modeling (DCF/ROI etc...) and has the ability to prepare financial analysis for ad-hoc requests. Provides support to the portfolio or operating budget and/or resource prioritization process and serve as global coordinator with activities with Japan (forecast updates, special projects, etc.). The person will be required to demonstrate strong interpersonal skills in order to build and manage effective working relationships throughout the organization and provide financial support to all departments.
- Project Planning and Forecasting – Manages and is accountable for the development and control of Clinical Project Budget in support of Phase I-III clinical studies. Partner with Project Management, Clinical Operations and other functional groups to ensure budgets are always maintained and accurate. Accountable to the Global Team Lead (GTL) and GPT (Global Project Team) for the control and reporting of approved budgets.
Functional Budget Planning – Manages and is accountable for the development and control of functional budget in support of global operations of RD unit. Partner with global function leaders to ensure budgets are always maintained and accurate. Accountable to Global function leaders in US for the control and reporting of approved budgets.
- Annual Forecasting (FYB) and Quarterly Latest Estimate (“LE”) –Develops and prepares detailed analysis of variances, risks opportunities, trending analysis along with KPI’s. Effectively uses and communicates key findings and presents recommendations to Senior Regional and Global Finance Leaders.
- Annual Portfolio Prioritization – Participate with global business partners to develop budgets and analytics for ongoing and new pipeline studies in support of the annual process of extracting the optimal value out of our portfolio.
Resource and Headcount Planning Initiatives – Coordinate communication of financial targets with global function leaders collaborate with HR business partners to develop headcount planning and analytics for resource planning in US and EU.
- Special Projects/Change Management – Accountable for the development and implementation of new processes, procedures and/or systems to improve organizational efficiencies and cost controls. Responsible for the development and management of other ad hoc special projects as they arise. Assists in developing solutions and decisions aligned with organizational strategies and objectives.
- People Leadership - May lead small team; Coach, motivate and develop staff to ensure high degree of service is maintained and staff remains focused on corporate goals, maintains high level of engagement.
- Mid Term Plan (MTP) – Manages and is accountable for developing and building strategic planning and forecasting models in support of the organization’s MTP process.
- Management Reporting –Utilizes results to drives timely management decisions. This position will work with the team leader to understand the needs of senior management, and create new analysis and/or reporting packages that meet those needs.
- Financial Systems and Controls – Assist the senior Finance staff with recommendations and implementation on new and existing systems utilized by the RD Finance Excellence group to improve the Global budgeting and forecasting process. Coordination with all functional areas impacted including Legal, Procurement, Project Management and Commercial or Corporate Finance, Operations. Liaison to Parent Company in Japan.
Qualifications: Successful candidates will be able to meet the qualifications below with or without a reasonable accommodation.
Education Qualifications (from an accredited college or university)
- Bachelor's Degree Finance/Accounting preferred areas of study, or other relevant discipline required
- 7 or More Years in a business environment required
- 7 or More Years Finance/Accounting Experience, preferably supporting R&D organizations preferred
Ability to travel up to 10%. Travel required for accounting conferences/trainings, Global Finance meetings and Project team support.
Daiichi Sankyo, Inc. is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.