Who We Are
It takes a village, and at BioMarin our corporate groups are the people behind our success. Groups such as IT, Finance, Legal, Global Compliance & Ethics, and our People Team provide foundational support of all areas of operation at BioMarin.
Reporting to the Vice President of DEI and Talent Development, the Executive Director and Head of DEI will be responsible for guiding and enabling the organization’s DEI journey. They will lead efforts to define and implement an enterprise-wide DEI vision and strategy that aligns with the organization’s priorities, purpose, and values to enable and sustain productive change. This individual will develop and implement a holistic approach to DEI, moving beyond short-term programs and initiatives toward systemic integration of DEI into people practices that support key business outcomes, so that our internal and external stakeholders increasingly experience sustainable benefits from our diverse, inclusive, and engaged workplace. Close alignment and partnership with all disciplines within the People team and our business leaders will remain vital for ensuring that our DEI approach gets systematically integrated with our talent management, organizational effectiveness, leadership and executive development, learning solutions and TA strategic initiatives. They will serve as a spokesperson on matters related to DEI and will work towards ensuring our employees experience a culture of inclusion that leverages diverse backgrounds and perspectives of all employees to build a high performing organization.
- Create and lead design and execution of company-wide initiatives and platforms to support diversity, inclusion, and workforce engagement.
- Provide thought leadership on diversity, inclusion, and engagement across the global organization in partnership with key stakeholders to establish DEI strategies, measurable DEI goals and objectives and build leadership accountability through DEI KPI s and metrics.
- Develop metrics to assess and enhance the effectiveness of DEI initiatives.
- Partner with Corporate Communications to regularly communicate and publicize internal and external diversity, inclusion and engagement initiatives, events, and progress. Be the face of DEI for BioMarin and look for opportunities to tell the organization’s overall story internally and externally.
- Serve as subject matter expert and liaison for business leaders and People Business Partners in developing context-specific strategies and operating plans for attracting/developing/engaging and retaining diverse talent.
- Analyze and present talent demographics, monitor and share key data trends to support development of both global and local DEI initiatives.
- Create awareness, energy, and enthusiasm in the organization for DEI and reinforce existing commitments to create an inclusive, engaging environment where all employees experience a growing sense of belonging.
- Identify and implement pragmatic approaches to cultivate and embed productive mindsets, behaviors and practices that enable key diversity, inclusion, and engagement outcomes.
- Stay up to date on legal regulations and guidelines that affect DEI efforts.
- Seamlessly integrate DEI through all core people practices accelerating meaningful advancement of equal opportunity, diversity and inclusion in our people programs and processes.
- Manage a small team of DEI practitioners.
- Lead the organization's employee resource group (ERG) program and serve as advisor to the ERG leaders and executive sponsors.
- Co-chair the company’s DEI Advisory Committee and ensure alignment with Regional Advisory Committees.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or business. Advanced degree a plus.
- DEI Certification a plus.
- At least 10 years leadership experience, with at least 5 years where the sole responsibility was developing and leading a D&I agenda, including the experience of creating differentiated D&I interventions that have valuably transformed the relationship of the organization with D&I.
- In-depth knowledge of and experience with core diversity and inclusion concepts and practices.
- Biotechnology background a plus
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Excellent presentation and written communication skills.
- Leads with a consultative and collaborative approach.
- Excellent at stakeholder management.
- Strong interpersonal and relationship building skills.
- Strategic and visionary thinker.
- Demonstrated experience leading large-scale change management initiatives.
- Strong established network of D&I experts.
- Understanding of Equal Employment Opportunity laws.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to leverage data to develop and execute strategies.
- Strong influencing skills.
- Strong bias towards action with the ability to balance the strategic and tactical elements of the role.
- Ability to build trust and credibility with internal and external stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to manage complex issues and navigate conflict.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.