Scientist I, Chemistry
San Diego, CA
Strive to Bring a Profound Difference to our Patients
At Avidity Biosciences, we are passionate about the impact of every employee in realizing our vision of improving people’s lives by delivering a new class of RNA therapeutics. Avidity is revolutionizing the field of RNA with its proprietary AOCs, which are designed to combine the specificity of monoclonal antibodies with the precision of oligonucleotide therapies to address targets and diseases previously unreachable with existing RNA therapies. If you are a committed, solution-oriented thinker, join us in making a difference and become part of our growing culture that is integrated, collaborative, agile and focused on the needs of patients.
Avidity Biosciences, Inc.'s mission is to profoundly improve people's lives by delivering a new class of RNA therapeutics - Antibody Oligonucleotide Conjugates (AOCs™). Utilizing its proprietary AOC platform, Avidity demonstrated the first-ever successful targeted delivery of RNA into muscle and is leading the field with clinical development programs for three rare muscle diseases: myotonic dystrophy type 1 (DM1), Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) and facioscapulohumeral muscular dystrophy (FSHD). Avidity is broadening the reach of AOCs with its advancing and expanding pipeline, including programs in cardiology and immunology through internal discovery efforts and key partnerships. Avidity is headquartered in San Diego, CA. For more information about our AOC platform, clinical development pipeline, and people, please visit www.aviditybiosciences.com and engage with us on LinkedIn and Twitter.
We are seeking a Scientist to join our chemistry team in San Diego to advance our small molecule and peptide synthesis capabilities. This is a hands-on position requiring the application of modern synthetic organic methodology/medicinal chemistry principles to design, synthesize, and evaluate the next generation of therapeutic molecules. The ideal candidate will have experience in peptide/organic chemistry or a related field and can demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of synthesis optimization and the development of synthetic routes for drug-like molecules. A successful candidate is expected to be a strong team player, who enjoys scientific discovery and can communicate and collaborate in an interdisciplinary and fast-paced environment.
What You Will Contribute
- Design, synthesis, purification, and analysis of small molecule compounds, oligonucleotides, and protein/peptide conjugates.
- Develop efficient synthetic routes for peptides and small molecules.
- Lead/contribute to discovery project teams, analysis of experimental data and provide medicinal chemistry / drug discovery knowledge.
- Apply modern organic synthesis techniques and current medicinal chemistry practices to solve problems relevant to peptide/small molecule therapeutics.
- Maintain a current knowledge of the scientific literature relating to organic synthesis, peptide therapeutics, medicinal chemistry, and project related fields.
- Clearly communicate research results in both written and oral formats
What We Seek
- PhD in chemistry (or related discipline) with 0 – 3 years industry experience or a MS with 5+ years relevant experience.
- Proficient in the synthesis, purification, and analysis of organic molecules.
- Vast hands-on peptide synthesis experience including peptide modification strategies (i.e. backbone modification, cyclization)
- Experience with peptide and automated synthesis chemistries is highly desirable.
- Extensive experience in analytical techniques and automated purification
- Proven ability to conduct self-directed research, and to work effectively in a dynamic environment with a diverse team of co-workers.
- Solid written and oral communication skills, enthusiasm, integrity, self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, and attention to detail are necessary.
What We will Provide to You:
- The base salary range for this role is $120,000 - $136,000. The final compensation will be commensurate with such factors as relevant experience, skillset, internal equity and market factors.
- Avidity offers competitive compensation and benefits which includes the opportunity for annual and spot bonuses, stock options and RSUs, as well as a 401(k) with an employer match. In addition, the comprehensive wellness program includes coverage for medical, dental, vision, and LTD, and four weeks of time off.
- A commitment to learning and development which includes a variety of programming internally developed by and for Avidity employees, opportunities for job-specific training offered by industry, and an education reimbursement program.
10578 Science Center Dr. Suite 125
San Diego, CA