The Senior Scientist is responsible for leading the development and transfer of pilot scale manufacturing processes of next generation medical aesthetics products. The senior scientist will be responsible for designing, planning, performing, documenting and interpreting scientific experiments, while working in a group of scientists and equipment engineers. The position will involve interdepartmental collaboration with both internal and external stakeholders requiring excellent communication and presentation skills. The processes/capabilities developed by the principal scientist should generate finished product that consistently meets the product critical quality attributes. This is a key role with a direct impact on AbbVie’s exciting and rapidly growing portfolio of medical aesthetic products, with a major focus on dermal fillers.
Key Duties / Responsibilities
Scientific Execution (75%)
- Scale up and develop manufacturing processes of novel medical devices with the goal of improving process robustness and transferability.
- Lead execution of upstream manufacturing processes such as solution preparation, synthesis, purification, sterile filtration and compounding.
- Draft guidance documentation such as work instructions, master batch records, and protocols.
- Analyse experimental data generated by the analytical team, to better understand and also improve process capability where needed.
- Collaborates with global cross functional R&D partners on joint experimental studies to achieve common project goals.
Scientific Communication (20%)
- Participates, and presents in project team meetings to propose project activities, review completed tasks, and technical progress as needed.
- Writes, reviews and issues batch records, build packages, reports, memoranda, and other documents for internal and external distribution.
- Generates ROI’s and works closely with corporate patent counsel in generating IP documentation.
- Remains as an internal technical consultant through the entire product development life cycle
External Scientific Interaction (5%)
- Transfer manufacturing processes to/from internal and/or external manufacturing sites.
- Searches, reviews, and evaluates current literatures and relevant technology landscape to help maintain and extend internal technical competence.
- Attends and participates in scientific meetings as company’s representative to gain knowledge about new products or technologies pertinent to corporate business interest.
- Communicates and recommends new biomaterial, product, and technology related ideas to supervisor and other research managers to maintain and enhance company’s position in the marketplace.
- MS (10+ years industry) or Ph.D. (4+ years industry) in Biomedical Engineering, Biomaterials Science, Materials Engineering, Bioengineering, Chemical Engineering, or related fields. Preferably with a Ph.D. degree.
- Work experience involving medical device and combination products is preferred.
Essential Skills & Abilities
The below listed skill sets are core competencies for all RDAA positions and the expectations for each are proportional to both the level of position and project roles that have been assigned.
- Plan resource, timelines and budget estimates for review with manager.
- Generate novel technical ideas and propose research and product development approaches to drive project deliverables within timeline and budget requirements.
- Present information and respond to questions from technical peers in both oral and written form.
- Collaborate with employees at various disciplines, departments and levels.
- Lead workflows in cross-functional teams.
- Take initiative and make decisions to help drive own workflows.
- Possess advanced technical competence and expertise in guidance and execution of aseptic manufacturing processes.
- Automate manufacturing processes using existing or newly proposed capabilities.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and problem-solving skills and good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Working knowledge of general laboratory techniques and procedures including EHS practice.
- Perform detail-oriented work.
- Prioritize and manage concurrent projects.
- Maintain accuracy, consistency and quality of documentation while adhering to company deadlines.
- Learn and function in a controlled GMP environment, as needed.
- Read, analyse, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical journals and procedures and governmental regulations.
- Write reports, business correspondence, documentation, and procedures.
- Interact and negotiate successfully with suppliers and vendors.
- Use word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications.
- Ability to learn new software programs.
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law:
The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees.
This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs.
This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.