Develops and manages the surgical program within the Department of Comparative Medicine, as well as performing surgery on current and developing new surgical models. This position will strategize support for Drug Discovery and Development projects and executes plans to advance the pipeline. Also, acts as technology expert that manages surgical animal models and associated equipment/tools required for study conduct when collaborating with fellow researchers.
- Develops surgical models and applies knowledge and experience in refining current methodologies
- Oversees surgical model conduct through proper set-up, study conduct and take-down
- Directs management of surgery schedules according to available resources
- Directs staff to ensure surgical arena is appropriately set-up for scheduled surgeries
- Maintains appropriate inventory for surgical models
- Provides and delegates hands-on training for surgical techniques
- Conducts proficiency training and assessments to R&D staff
- Ensures coordination of scheduling of resources for study conduct (veterinary technical staff and Research Services Group)
- Collaborates with stakeholders globally and serves as post-doc mentor as needed
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine from AVMA accredited or equivalent institution preferred
- Minimum 7 years laboratory animal experience and demonstrated surgical expertise or DVM-PhD with at least 5 years laboratory animal experience with demonstrated surgical expertise
- ACLAM or ACVS board certification highly desirable
- Must have a high aptitude for surgical model development (both new or established) with ability to train others toward successful outcomes
- Should be well-versed in anesthetic and analgesic methods
- Initiative, strong work ethic, integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Skilled in bio-methodology skills across all species
- Proficient in general surgical skills in all species (i.e. tissue handling, aseptic technique, instrument prep, etc.)
- Species diversity experience (including non-human primate)
- Working knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
- Problem recognition and solving skills are critical
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.