Terray is a biotechnology company with the technology, data, and mindset to radically change the way we discover and develop small molecule therapeutics. We explore molecules and targets broadly and deeply with a sophisticated integration of ultra-high throughput experimentation, generative AI, biology, medicinal chemistry, automation, and nanotechnology. Everything the company does is grounded in an iterative approach, producing massive amounts of precise, purpose-built data mapping interactions between small molecules and causes of disease that gets increasingly valuable with each cycle of design and experimentation. The company’s platform uniquely blends experimentation and computation to improve the cost, speed, and success rate of small molecule drug discovery and development.
Terray is currently seeking a motivated and creative medicinal chemist to join our growing medicinal chemistry group. As an integral member of the Preclinical Development team, the candidate will contribute to hit-to-lead and lead optimization efforts across multiple programs, leveraging our vast chemical datasets and proprietary wet-lab + computational platforms to power state-of-the-art small molecule design and synthesis. In this interdisciplinary role, the candidate will work closely with the data science and biology functions at Terray, as well as the machine learning, computational chemistry, DMPK and Pharmacology teams within Terray.
The core responsibilities of this position are:
- Lead the chemistry for up to two hit-to-lead and lead optimization programs
- Manage the synthesis and design of small molecules in lead optimization and work closely with the molecular design team to advance hit-to-lead programs to LO.
- Lead the multiparameter optimization of molecules towards candidate selection for internal and/or partnered programs
- Optimize the properties for molecules across multiple series for in-vivo exposure and PD/efficacy
- Partner with the computational and platform teams to design compounds for on- and off-platform syntheses
- Partner with the machine learning team to optimize internal models and leverage Terray’s unparalleled access to binding and ADME data
- Manage a team of CRO and internal chemists to design synthetic routes and trouble-shoot problematic syntheses, stage syntheses and trigger scale-ups for in-vivo studies
Experience and Qualifications
Part of Terray’s success is nurtured by a hands-on work environment where everyone is accountable, vested in a vision of excellence, and actively taking part in the success of the business. Terray supports a positive work environment where employees can feel engaged, recognized and empowered to be creative.
- Ph.D. or postdoc in organic chemistry, synthetic chemistry or related field
- 2 to 5 years of medicinal chemistry experience in an industrial setting
- Can demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in multi-step synthesis and/or reaction methodology through primary authored, peer-reviewed publications
- Demonstrates high proficiency in principles of medicinal chemistry, molecular design, ADME and DMPK
- Can demonstrate scientific initiative and creativity in multiparameter optimization towards the development of orally bioavailable lead molecules
- Demonstrated familiarity with in vitro safety pharmacology, in vitro toxicity assays and related in-vivo assays and studies
- Familiarity with chemoinformatics and computational chemistry is a plus
- Demonstrates high productivity in the lab while showcasing a high degree of autonomy
- Adheres to good safety practices
- Reliable and dependable scientist with strong presentation and communication skills
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills and can thrive in a highly cooperative, fast-paced environment
$132,000-$200,000 (annually) depending on seniority; participation in the Company's option plan; 3% 401K contribution; full benefits.