About the role:
At Takeda, we are a forward-looking, world-class R&D organization that unlocks innovation and delivers transformative therapies to patients. By focusing R&D efforts on four therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, we push the boundaries of what is possible in order to bring life-changing therapies to patients worldwide.
Join Takeda as a Research Scientist II where you will apply innovative synthetic organic, bioconjugation, and medicinal chemistry principles to design, synthesize, and characterize novel, functional molecules within a drug discovery setting that leverages a variety of therapeutic modalities. You will also develop skills and knowledge in a cutting-edge, modality agnostic drug discovery unit to create products to serve patients with gastrointestinal diseases. As part of the Gastrointestinal Drug Discovery Unit (GI DDU), you will report to the Director of Chemistry.
How you will contribute:
- Design, synthesize, and characterize bioactive target molecules to address issues of potency and drug-like properties.
- Develop innovative and efficient synthetic routes and conjugation protocols.
- Act as a key member of a multidisciplinary drug discovery project team, assist with development of project strategy, coordination of research activities, and analysis and communication of complex data.
- Contribute to ongoing innovation within medicinal chemistry through familiarity with recent methods in synthetic organic chemistry, with additional experience in conjugation technologies.
- Maintain a broad current understanding of the scientific and technological landscapes of organic synthesis, medicinal chemistry, and drug discovery, and the scientific literature related to a specific drug discovery project.
- Keep an accurate, comprehensive, concise notebook in accordance with company policy.
- Identify obstacles and solve a variety of problems independently and in collaboration with project teams.
- Prepare and present research to range of internal and external audiences, through presentations, posters, and contributions to authorship of patents and scientific manuscripts.
- PhD degree in a scientific discipline (or equivalent) with 2+ years relevant experience, or MS with 8+ years relevant experience, or BS with 10+ years relevant experience.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills and the ability to present rationale, key data, issues, and accomplishments to project teams.
- Strong collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively within a diverse team.
- A high level of creativity and productivity with respect to laboratory contribution, with strong problem-solving skills directed toward achievement of project milestones.
- Strong laboratory-based focus, experimental excellence, and well-developed communication and collaboration skills are required for this position.
- Diverse practical experience in synthetic organic chemistry.
- Experience with antibody, oligonucleotide and/or peptide bioconjugation is preferable.
- Demonstrated clear understanding of experimental design and reaction mechanism.
- Good understanding of basic biochemical and biological principles.
- High level of expertise in modern laboratory and analytical methods.
- Strong data analysis skills, able to generate novel hypotheses and make data driven decisions.
- Strong design skills, able to drive optimization of compound potency and drug-like properties via hypothesis-driven design drawing on knowledge of medicinal chemistry principles..
- Proficiency with basic chemistry and laboratory research software required.
- Experience with molecular modeling and/or structure-based design tools are a plus.
What Takeda can offer you:
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Ways of Working
- Tuition reimbursement
More about us:
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best in class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
Base Salary Range: $130,200.00 to $186,000.00, based on candidate professional experience level. Employees may also be eligible for Short-term and Long-Term Incentive benefits as well. Employees are eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days & Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program and Paid Volunteer Time Off. The final salary offered for this position may take into account a number of factors including, but not limited to, location, skills, education, and experience.
In accordance with the CO Equal Pay Act, Colorado Applicants Are Not Permitted to Apply.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.Locations
San Diego, CAWorker Type