About the Department
Imagine transforming the face of biomedical research, helping patients getting healthier with digital therapeutics, and advanced medical devices in a state-of-the-art research facility. That’s what we do at Novo Nordisk Research Center Seattle, Inc. (NNRCSI). Our scientists and engineers apply cutting-edge technologies to early R&D projects with the goal of bringing real change to People with Diabetes and Obesity. Such projects include applying data science when developing advanced medical devices and digital decision support solutions. At NNRCSI, your skills, dedication and ambition will help us change lives for the better. In exchange, we’ll offer you an opportunity to work with extraordinary talent, continuously learn and develop, and drive change to defeat diabetes and other serious chronic conditions.
The team is comprised of collaborative, diverse and passionate people who have a true sense of pride in their work and are committed to helping others grow and develop their careers. You’ll also have a platform to engage with key stakeholders on a global scale throughout the entire pipeline process. And while changing the future of diabetes and obesity treatment is no easy task, we also recognize the importance of an enjoyable workplace, which is why we’ve cultivated a culture of fun, ingenuity and innovation. And our competitive compensation package and support of a healthy work-life balance all add to a best-in-class employee experience. We are changing lives for a living. Are you ready to make a difference?
The Senior Associate Scientist will provide scientific and technical expertise and execute laboratory research strategies in support of multiple in vivo and in vitro projects focused on the identification and validation of new drug targets, advancing novel therapies to the clinic, and developing technologies to accelerate scientific research. This will be achieved by executing research experiments, analyzing and ensuring data integrity, and communicating results to project teams. The Senior Associate Scientist will represent the organization to the external scientific community through publication and presentation of research and through participation in external collaborations.
Reports to the head of the Immunobiology department.
Internal relationships include working closely with technical staff and other colleagues at the US, UK, Denmark, and China research sites. Frequent, active participation in global teams comprising members from across the organization. This position will have interaction with external partners from both academic and industry-based teams.
- Hands-on responsibility for highly complex activities requiring a high level of proficiency, understanding, and knowledge of techniques and practices related to immune mechanisms in disease, immune-based questions and projects; functions independently.
Demonstrates a breadth of knowledge and skills to support the development, optimization, and management of research protocols of high complexity to advance multiple drug discovery efforts across cardiometabolic and rare diseases.
- Analyzes complex data with high degree of sophistication, connecting disparate datasets to reach conclusions and set direction on experiments.
- Responsible for drafting study protocols, reports, and research proposals with limited assistance from supervisor beyond reviews.
- Effectively communicates ideas and experimental results to cross-functional project teams and actively participates in external collaborations.
- May represent the organization at external conferences and by contributing to publication of scientific papers and patents.
- Studies scientific literature to support research projects and provide recommendations to research agenda. Expands the capabilities of scientific research through the evaluation of scientific methodology and implementation of new technologies.
- May lead cross-functional experimental teams to achieve project goals, mentor junior staff, and provide training.
- Provides guidance regarding experimental strategies. Responsible for setting experiment timelines to meet project deliverables, including communicating study updates, and providing data generation, analyses, and reporting.
- Works with Department Heads and Scientists to ensure better practice sharing and implementation within the research environment.
- Demonstrated ability to identify better practices and create improvements in methods, techniques, approaches, etc.
- Achieves business goals, shares learnings, knowledge, skills, and promotes cross-functional teamwork.
- Develops superior cross-cultural understanding to effectively interact with relevant stakeholders in the global organization.
- Be an active contributor to creating and sustaining an inclusive culture of curiosity that embraces diversity
• Bachelor's Degree within subject matter expertise required.
• 10+ years of relevant experience required, or a Master’s degree with 6+ years of relevant experience, or a Doctoral degree in immunology or related field with little or no post-doctoral or other relevant experience can be considered.
• Demonstrates excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Demonstrates solid project management knowledge, as well as strong organizational and time-management skills.
• Required experience:
Expertise in field of immunology (human and rodent) – subject matter expertise in fibrogenesis, innate/adaptive regulatory mechanisms, immunometabolism, cytokine regulation, or myeloid biology considered
Experience developing and testing complex cell systems
Experience with flow cytometry panel design and analyses, flow and electrochemiluminescence-based cytokine measurements, cytotoxicity assay development, and live cell imaging methods
Extensive cell handling and expert tissue culture skills (human, rodent, non-human primate)
• Preferred experience:
Knowledge of cardiometabolic/cardiorenal diseases such as obesity, diabetes (T1D and T2D), NASH, and chronic kidney disease
Experience with computational biology and advanced sequencing methods
Experience in analysing complex functional data and troubleshooting using AI-based methods
Experience in biotech or pharma-based research
We commit to an inclusive recruitment process and equality of opportunity for all our job applicants.
At Novo Nordisk we recognize that it is no longer good enough to aspire to be the best company in the world. We need to aspire to be the best company for the world and we know that this is only possible with talented employees with diverse perspectives, backgrounds and cultures. We are therefore committed to creating an inclusive culture that celebrates the diversity of our employees, the patients we serve and communities we operate in. Together, we’re life changing.
Novo Nordisk is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by local, state or federal laws, rules or regulations.
If you are interested in applying to Novo Nordisk and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply, please call us at 1-855-411-5290. This contact is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.