TrialSpark is a technology-driven drug development company that runs end-to-end clinical trials, focused on bringing new treatments to patients faster and more efficiently.
The biggest bottleneck in bringing new treatments to patients is the clinical trial. On average, getting a drug through the trial process takes nearly a decade and frequently costs $1B+. To combat this industry problem, TrialSpark has built a technology platform that optimizes all aspects of a clinical trial, enabling more efficient trial design, faster trial completion, and higher trial data quality.
TrialSpark recently raised their Series C, and is putting the capital to work by in-licensing and co-developing drug programs through in-house development, joint ventures, and NewCos. Together with doctors, patients, and communities, TrialSpark is working to develop the treatments of tomorrow.
About the Position
As the Director, Program Management, you will be a hands-on leader with a passion for driving results across a highly cross-functional team.
You will be responsible for directing the strategic and operational planning within TrialSpark’s emerging drug development team(s). In this leadership role, you will partner with the Program Team Leader and cross-functional Program Development Team (PDT) by providing program management excellence to ensure the development of a unified strategic vision and drive the team to successfully execute on the agreed strategy.
You will be an expert in robust cross-functional planning and alignment, facilitate decision-making and drive the implementation, monitoring, and reporting for one or more programs.
You will provide content expertise on the timing, costs and resources required to deliver to the defined program strategy, anticipate potential obstacles in the program and facilitate risk: benefit discussions driving the team to a clear direction and path forward. In this role, the Director program management will act as an operational leader to help the team achieve established objectives, facilitate governance interactions, and organize the needed tactics to make the program and associated projects a success. The Director, PM may be responsible for one or more programs with significant complex cross-functional and/or cross-program initiatives within TrialSpark’s pipeline.
- Strategic and tactical partner to the Program Team Leader and line function representatives accountable to establish and deliver an aligned Global Strategic Development Plan across all relevant development functional groups into a cohesive and strategic development plan to deliver the agreed target product profile.
- Work closely with the Project Team Leader to facilitate the elaboration, approval and execution of the global program development strategy and facilitate decision-making process through to senior leadership team via the company’s governance process
- Coordinate and drive development process planning activities of the program team including milestone setting, strategic integrated development plans, long-range plans, budget inputs and go/no go criteria as appropriate.
- Ensure transparency and understanding of the approved plan horizontally and vertically throughout the organization. Prepare and manage governance interactions with the Program Team Leader and ensure timely input of program status/risks/issues throughout the organization.
- Maintain the overall development plans for assigned program(s).
- Maintain all project management tools with focus on Program and Portfolio Management Systems (including SmartSheet).
- Facilitate team meetings/agendas/minutes/action items including decision and action logs.
- Coordinate team goal setting and tracking to ensure adherence to plan and agreed end of year milestones.
- Partner with the VP, Program Management and other functional leaders to assess program and project management processes to ensure best practices are employed for the needs of TrialSpark.
- At least 7 years of experience within one or more functional role(s) in pharmaceutical R&D drug development, biotechnology drug development, or related industry.
- At least 5 years of cross-functional program/project management experience
- Experience in Dermatology, Neurology, Endocrinology, or Psychiatry therapeutic area preferred
- Proven track record of planning and managing complex programs in different phases of development including cross-functional deliverables.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective project management leadership in terms of setting project plans for the lifecycle of a program from discovery through launch
- Excellent leadership skills with a history of delivering in a dynamic environment
- Independent creative thinker and enabler requiring minimum oversight
- Solid understanding of the processes in drug development and appropriate regulatory guidelines
- Strong influencing and interpersonal skills including negotiation, managing meetings and group dynamics, ability to balance concerns of line management with objectives of cross-functional team
- Demonstrated understanding of program risk management and mitigation in order to simulate the likely obstacles to program progression
- Excellent communication skills (written and verbal communication skills in English)
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to deal with competing priorities; high level of problem-solving capability and business acumen, ability to balance competing priorities and quickly and objectively drive the team towards a path which maximizes value
- Strong technical proficiency in the use of project planning tools and systems (including Smartsheet), resource forecasting, and the use of reporting tools
- Smartsheet Certification-preferred or ability to achieve certification within 30 days of employment
- PMP certification preferred
- Competency in MS Office / Google Suite software applications (e.g. MS Word, MS Powerpoint, MS Excel, Google Docs, Google Sheets, etc.)
- Highly skilled in negotiation, facilitation, and managing matrix team dynamics
We offer competitive compensation because we want to hire the best people and reward them for their contributions to our mission. We pay all employees competitively relative to the New York City market, regardless of their location. In compliance with NYC’s pay transparency law and in pursuit of pay equity and fairness, we publish salary ranges for all open roles at TrialSpark. The target salary range for this role is $242,000 - $280,000.
On top of base salary, we also offer equity, generous perks, location flexibility, and comprehensive benefits – learn more about them and our compensation philosophy here.
If this range doesn’t match your expectations, please still apply because we may have something else for you.
You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.