Your work will change lives. Including your own.
We are leveraging new technology to create virtuous cycles of learning around datasets to build a next-generation biopharmaceutical company. It’s complex biology, decoded.
Recursion is a digital biology company industrializing drug discovery. We are working to solve some of the hardest, most meaningful problems facing human health today. Come join us in our mission to decode biology to radically improve lives, while doing the most impactful work of your life.
Recursion’s Returnship Program
Our Returnship program is sponsored by the Women at Recursion Employee Resource Group. The program is aimed at helping those who have taken a hiatus (2+ years) from the STEM industry have the opportunity to return to the workforce in a learning environment with support from teams and mentors. This allows our company to tap into an underutilized pool of talent in Utah, and leverage the experience and skills of previous work and life experiences, while also providing opportunity to learn and develop experience in new cutting-edge tools and technology. This sixteen-week program will enable you to have ownership of projects that can deeply impact the company’s mission to radically decode biology and serve patients, while having the guidance, support and mentorship as you re-enter the workforce. Each Returner will be assigned a mentor who will meet with them weekly, as well as weekly seminars on workplace culture, communication and technology.
Our returner program lasts 4 months, running from February 2024 through end of May 2024, with potential for transition into full-time employment depending on performance and position availability. This position is based in our Salt Lake City, UT headquarters, with some hybrid working flexibility available.
Data Science Returnship
As a data science returner, you will be collaborating with cross-functional teams of biologists, chemists, software engineers, and data scientists to help improve our understanding of the biology and chemistry present in our multi-omics data. We will give you real-world data to work with, and expect you to come up with creative approaches to solve the problems you’re presented with. You will work closely with both your returnship mentor and the rest of the data science team.
The Data You’ll Work With (depending on your project)
- Over 25 petabytes of imaging data and deep learning features from hundreds of thousands of biological and chemical perturbations performed on billions of cells.
- Transcriptomic data from hundreds of biological and chemical perturbations.
- These data are produced with fully automated experimental protocols and come pre-cleaned and easy to load into Python notebooks.
- More info and a small (for us) public release can be found here
The Recursion Community
While we offer cutting-edge tools, the secret sauce is our people. Our organization structure and culture isn’t driven by politics or ego, it is designed first and foremost to help you do your best work. We live and work by values that we see as the strategic differentiators that give us a competitive advantage, allowing for better and faster work that isn’t predicated on burnout and encourages us to make leaps where others take steps. This is a place where people in every role and every level make the bold bets that create large leaps forward on a regular basis!
The Experience You’ll Need
- Must have 3 years working experience in data science, computer programming, biostatistics or a similar field-or-Bachelor’s Degree or higher in statistics, biology, chemistry or a similar field
- Must have taken a 2+ year break from employment
- A strong desire to learn with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong foundation of statistics, probability, and machine learning
- Strong programming experience, preferably in Python
- Passion for the company mission and comfort with answering open-ended questions
- Ability to brainstorm and communicate with cross-functional teams
- Experience working with large, high-dimensional datasets (preferred)
- Knowledge of biology/life sciences (preferred)
The Values That We Hope You Share:
- We Care: We care about our drug candidates, our Recursionauts, their families, each other, our communities, the patients we aim to serve and their loved ones. We also care about our work.
- We Learn: Learning from the diverse perspectives of our fellow Recursionauts, and from failure, is an essential part of how we make progress.
- We Deliver: We are unapologetic that our expectations for delivery are extraordinarily high. There is urgency to our existence: we sprint at maximum engagement, making time and space to recover.
- Act Boldly with Integrity: No company changes the world or reinvents an industry without being bold. It must be balanced; not by timidity, but by doing the right thing even when no one is looking.
- We are One Recursion: We operate with a 'company first, team second' mentality. Our success comes from working as one interdisciplinary team.
Recursion spends time and energy connecting every aspect of work to these values. They aren’t static, but regularly discussed and questioned because we make decisions rooted in those values in our day-to-day work. You can read more about our values and how we live them every day here.
More About Recursion
Recursion is a clinical stage TechBio company leading the space by decoding biology to industrialize drug discovery. Enabling its mission is the Recursion OS, a platform built across diverse technologies that continuously expands one of the world’s largest proprietary biological and chemical datasets. Recursion leverages sophisticated machine-learning algorithms to distill from its dataset a collection of trillions of searchable relationships across biology and chemistry unconstrained by human bias. By commanding massive experimental scale — up to millions of wet lab experiments weekly — and massive computational scale — owning and operating one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world, Recursion is uniting technology, biology and chemistry to advance the future of medicine.
Recursion is headquartered in Salt Lake City, where it is a founding member of BioHive, the Utah life sciences industry collective. Recursion also has offices in Toronto, Montreal and the San Francisco Bay Area.Recursion is an Equal Opportunity Employer that values diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, local, or provincial human rights legislation.