We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven track record of scientific accomplishments to join our growing Precision Medicine Oncology organization at AbbVie. As a Director, he/she will have the opportunity to work in a fast-paced and highly collaborative environment to lead the development and execution of Precision Medicine strategies for Oncology programs in early/late-stage clinical development. The successful candidate will lead a cross-functional Precision Medicine Team responsible for development and execution of translational research and clinical biomarker strategies (predictive/pharmacodynamic/resistance biomarkers, molecular response endpoints, indication selection and combination strategies) in alignment with the overall asset strategy, and ensuring successful execution of drug-diagnostic co-development in collaboration with the Companion Diagnostics group within Precision Medicine. This role requires an exceptional translational scientist with outstanding communication and leadership skills to drive effective decisions with key cross-functional stakeholders and enable execution of the overall Precision Medicine strategy for the program.
- Lead the design, development, and execution of the overall Precision Medicine strategy for one or more AbbVie Oncology programs
- Design and implement hypothesis-driven strategies to deliver evidence of target engagement, mechanisms of action/resistance, patient selection/CDx strategies (in partnership with CDx Lead), and other clinically relevant biomarker endpoints to advance the AbbVie Oncology pipeline
- Enable cross functional collaboration on the Precision Medicine strategy, leading the design, execution, analysis, communication, and publication of translational research and correlative clinical biomarker studies
- Author and review Precision Medicine related sections in clinical study / regulatory documents (i.e. INDs, IBs, trial protocols/ops manuals, ICFs, IRB responses, HA Briefing Books, CSRs, etc)
- Ensure that overall budget, schedule, and performance standards are attained, and be accountable for the overall Precision Medicine strategy in oncology clinical studies, in compliance with AbbVie’s processes and regulatory requirements
- Provide oversight of external collaborations (academic/industry/consortia) that advance the overall Precision Medicine objectives for the program
- Prepare and present Precision Medicine deliverables to governance bodies, review forums, decision committees and project teams
- Represent Precision Medicine function at advisory boards and health authority interactions to advance translational research and clinical biomarker objectives for the program
- Drive scientific and/or technical innovation collaboratively with other members of Precision Medicine Oncology
- PhD, MD, or PhD/MD degree in a relevant scientific field (e.g. hematology/oncology, cancer biology, cancer genetics, molecular oncology, cell biology) with 10+ years of relevant experience in the pharmaceutical industry or equivalent
- Strong scientific background in tumor biology and/or immuno-oncology supported by publication record in these areas. Expertise in hematologic malignancies is highly desirable
- Demonstrated leadership in development and execution of translational research and clinical biomarker strategies (i.e. predictive/pharmacodynamic/resistance biomarkers, molecular response endpoints, indication selection and combination strategies) in oncology
- Experience leading cross-functional teams responsible for developing/implementing Precision Medicine strategies for oncology programs in a drug development setting
- Knowledge of clinical trial methodology, regulatory requirements governing clinical trials, companion diagnostics, protocol design, and/or experience in clinical development strategy preferred
- Strong passion to drive clinical innovation through Precision Medicine to improve outcomes for patients with cancer
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong organizational skills with attention to detail, and effective time management with an ability to distill complex issues and clearly articulate/present solutions
- Strong interpersonal and collaboration skills to work in a team-oriented, matrix environment, and the ability to interface with multiple cross-functional stakeholders
Level and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
** The position may be located in Lake County, IL or South San Francisco, CA **
Key AbbVie Competencies:
- Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance.
- Learns fast, grasps the "essence" and can change course quickly where indicated.
- Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo.
- Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement.
- Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality.
Applicable only to applicants applying to a position in any location with pay disclosure requirements under state or local law:
The compensation range described below is the range of possible base pay compensation that the Company believes in good faith it will pay for this role at the time of this posting based on the job grade for this position. Individual compensation paid within this range will depend on many factors including geographic location, and we may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range. This range may be modified in the future.
We offer a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off. (vacation, holidays, sick), medical/dental/vision insurance and 401(k) to eligible employees
This job is eligible to participate in our short-term incentive programs.
This job is eligible to participate in our long-term incentive programs.
Note: No amount of pay is considered to be wages or compensation until such amount is earned, vested, and determinable. The amount and availability of any bonus, commission, incentive, benefits, or any other form of compensation and benefits that are allocable to a particular employee remains in the Company's sole and absolute discretion unless and until paid and may be modified at the Company’s sole and absolute discretion, consistent with applicable law.
AbbVie is an equal opportunity employer including disability/vets. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a disabled veteran, recently separated veteran, Armed Forces service medal veteran or active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran or a person’s relationship or association with a protected veteran, including spouses and other family members, or any other protected group status. We will take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment qualified minorities, women, individuals with a disability, disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, Armed Forces service medal veterans or active-duty wartime or campaign badge veterans. The Affirmative Action Plan is available for viewing in the Human Resources office during regular business hours.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.