Ready to shape the future of science and global health? ATCC, a pioneer in biomaterials manufacturing, is seeking a Biologist for an onsite role based in Gaithersburg, MD.
We're seeking a Cell and R&D Biologist responsible for preparing and conducting experiments on the development of cell lines. Following general instruction, they conduct testing and studies to advance product development and research. They collect and report on data and findings. The Biologist monitors laboratory supplies, equipment, and cleanliness. They generally work on problems of moderate scope where analysis of situations or data require a review of a variety of factors. The Biologist applies organizational policies and procedures to resolve a variety of problems while applying professional knowledge.
- Execute product development related activities in the Cell Immortalization Team including culturing, immortalization, characterization, expansion and cryopreservation of a wide variety of primary cells. Responsibilities also include feasibility testing, development and troubleshooting.
- Assist in the development of robust SOPs for tech transfer of new and/or improved methods to Operations and support of projects through successful tech transfer.
- Execute activities efficiently and effectively to meet project timelines and performance requirements in alignment with team and corporate goals.
- Utilize a variety of biological techniques to contribute to tests and studies that advance product research and development objectives.
- Collect and analyze data, make detailed observations, and repot results. Test and document results neatly and accurately in notebooks, batch records and databases.
- Perform research and/or development in collaboration with others for projects.
- Contribute to summarizing, presenting, and drawing conclusions of research findings to help inform decisions
- Participate in the creation and development of new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Aid in preparation of research documentation, such as reports, summaries, publications, and presentations.
- Support laboratory operations by ordering, monitoring, and reporting on department supply levels, monitoring equipment functionality and cleaning laboratory equipment.
- Remain current on biology research methods, techniques, and developments.
- Solve a variety of problems of moderate scope applying organizational policy and procedure.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and 2-5 years' experience or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge and hands-on expertise in the handling of a variety of cell types including primary cells.
- Ideal candidate will have working experience in cell immortalization and functional characterization of primary cells.
- Prior exposure to techniques such as immunofluorescence, flow cytometry, protein and gene expression, and functional assays preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Works under moderate supervision.
- Attention to detail.
- Maintains accurate records.
- Sound knowledge of laboratory procedures and protocols.
- Demonstrates aseptic techniques appropriate to assigned discipline.
- Experienced with lab skills and safety procedures including proper handling of chemicals and/or biologicals.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to exercise judgment and make good decisions.
- Off hours and weekend works as required for cell culture work.
We Invest in You
- Health & Wellness:
- Comprehensive medical coverage and company paid Life Insurance, Disability Insurance & AD&D.
- Work life balance with Paid Holidays and PTO.
- Fitness and cell phone subsidies, and additional benefits such as Aflac, legal services, and pet insurance.
- Employee Assistance Program offering around-the-clock counseling.
- Financial security:
- 401(a) (6% employer contribution) and 403(b) (2% match) retirement plans.
- Corporate bonus program.
- Mission Focused:
- Non-profit organization supporting critical life science research
- We give scientists the tools they need to make discoveries that improve and save lives.
- Contribute to community involvement and social responsibility.
- Exceptional career advancement opportunities, recognition, and rewards.
Join ATCC, where we fuel your success, well-being, and development. We're a mission focused non-profit Equal Opportunity Employer, championing diversity and inclusivity. When you work at ATCC, you become a part of that mission, one we've committed to for almost 100 years. Shape the future of science with us.
ATCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.