About the role
The Computational Biologist will work closely with scientists and other computational biologists to analyze NGS genomics data and develop bioinformatics methods to solve exciting and challenging problems in cell/gene therapy and immunology. You will develop workflows to answer fundamental questions about clinical therapies. You will partner with the Analytical Genomics team to ensure assays are fit-for-purpose and work with the Computational Engineering team to ensure robustness and correctness of pipelines.
You will report to the Executive Director of Computational Biology. We prefer that you be a team player and fantastic at cross-functional communication. The ability to be flexible, share knowledge in genetics & genomics, and to work in a collaborative environment will be essential to success.
What you'll do
- Develop and optimize analysis workflows to analyze Illumina and long read sequencing data, including bulk/single cell RNA-seq, immune profiling, and whole genome sequencing (WGS/WES)
- Develop novel Bioinformatics methods as needed to answer platform and biological questions to meet company objectives, and demonstrate validity of methods through prototypes and benchmarking using appropriate controls
- Work with other computational biologists and computational engineers to deliver production-level pipelines
- Develop and implement study designs for nonclinical and clinical studies
- Proper documentation of code, workflows, and analyses including study reports for nonclinical and clinical studies
- Communicate to a broad audience with a range of technical, analytical, and biological expertise and present results on a regular basis at various group meetings
What we're looking for
- PhD in computational biology, genetics, bioinformatics, statistics, or related discipline with 5+ years of industry experience (or MSc with 8+ years industry experience)
- Strong scientific background including an understanding of molecular biology and genomics
- Familiarity with NGS platforms and hands-on experience with all steps for analyzing NGS data
- Familiarity with immune profiling methods (single-cell and bulk NGS) and underlying biology
- Demonstrated proficiency in Python, competency in R
- Competency with git, Docker/Singularity, and Linux
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and problem-solving abilities
- Be detail oriented, self-motivated and able to prioritize multiple projects concurrently
What will separate you from the crowd
- Experience with clinical sample analysis
- Experience with variant calling low frequency somatic mutations
- Experience with long read analysis is a plus
- Experience with cloud pipeline environments such as DNANexus or Seven Bridges
- Familiarity with workflow languages such as Nextflow or CWL
- A passion for correct and actionable conclusions
What you should know
- The base pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $160,000 and $200,000/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience
How we work together
- Lead from every seat – we seek to understand, act with honesty, and engage in the crucial conversations
- Thrive as a team – we hire amazing people, are intensely curious, and cultivate inclusion and personal connectivity
- Make it happen – we value vigorous debate, alignment around our decisions, and resilient execution
Get to know us
At Sana, we believe that a diverse workforce strengthens us as a company and helps us to achieve our mission to meaningfully change the outcome of many human diseases. This belief is a pillar of our business and is critical to our success. Our goal is that Sana is the place for talented people to bring their authentic selves to work, to have a great career and to deeply, positively impact patients.
Core to our values, we believe there is nothing more important than the health and wellness of you and your family. For benefit eligible employees, we cover 100% of the cost for employee health coverage and offer generous time-off (various paid time off benefits, such as holidays, vacation, sick time, and parental leave), short- and long-term disability, employer paid basic life insurance, additional voluntary life insurance protection, financial wellness programs including financial planning resources, a 401(k) Plan with an immediately vested employer match, Tuition Reimbursement and Student Loan Repayment, Employee Stock Purchase Plan, commuter subsidy and a variety of wellness offerings to support each person individually. For more details on our benefits, visit Sana’s Benefits Portal.
We are committed to providing a workplace free of discrimination and harassment based on race, color, religion, age, gender, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental or sensory disability (including the use of a trained guide dog or service animal by a person with a disability), genetic information, actual or perceived HIV or Hepatitis C infection, medical condition (cancer or a record or history of cancer and genetic characteristics), marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), disability, veteran status, political ideology, social class (including caste/caste identity), taking or requesting statutorily protected leave, status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
To perform this job successfully, you must be able to perform each job responsibility satisfactorily. The job description listed above is representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions described above.