Project Manager, Station 41 Accelerator
We are seeking a Project Manager to organize and drive key initiatives in Southern Research's new Accelerator. Southern Research (SR) is at a pivotal moment in its 82-year history. At the start of 2022, SR launched a new strategic plan focused on translational research in the life sciences. SR intends to invest over $150 million in this new strategy, including development of new facilities, platforms, and programs. We believe in the power of SR and our partners to unlock the immense potential of Alabama's biotech ecosystem to spur economic development, create jobs, and draw investment.
Communication with and education of all stakeholders will be a critical part of the effort. In this role, the Project Manager will report to the Director, will also work the connected Venture Studio, and will also work with executive leadership from SR as well as principal investigators and laboratory collaborators from the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB). In addition, the Project Manager for the Station 41 Accelerator will communicate with research teams from SR and UAB involved in specific applied and translational science projects related to drug discovery and development or in technologies that enable drug discovery and development.
We are looking for an energetic and nimble organizer and communicator who: (a) thinks critically; (b) relishes details; (c) effectively collaborates with leadership to achieve mission-critical outcomes; and (d) has demonstrated an interest in scientific research and in basic, applied and translational science.
- Works directly with the Director of the Station 41 Accelerator and other senior leaders to identify, shape, and prioritize objectives for the Accelerator.
- Drives the organization and communication involving “Requests for Proposals (RFPs)” across the SR and UAB ecosystems as well as additional institutions in the Deep South Network and local biotechnology companies – more than one RFP is planned per year until a critical mass of early stage, mid-stage, and later stage projects is achieved.
- Organizes and helps drive an end-to-end Critical Path and workplan for each Accelerator project.
- Focuses each project team on agreed milestones and “go versus no go” decision inflection points and drives key meetings for each project.
- Understands that each project may require a different scientific starting point and a different Critical Path and workflow.
- Serves as a primary point of contact for the Accelerator, including as a project manager and as a strategic leader.
- Implements a project management strategy to handle multiple projects at one time and over time.
- Provides collaborative input to other ongoing strategic projects in SR's other priority areas, including drug discovery, data & bioinformatics, and commercialization (e.g., Venture Studio and Incubator).
- Escalates and helps to resolve mission-critical challenges and developments.
- Helps envision the “end game” or exit scenario(s) upfront for our progressed projects and works backwards to ensure that the initiated projects have a fighting chance at success.
- Helps identify “best practices” early on for more focused efforts later term.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or related field
- 1+ years of experience in planning, leading, directing, and managing projects
- Familiarity with project management software
- Strong ability to communicate scientific and business strategy concepts, including through memos, reports, and slide decks
- Advanced educational degree (MS or Ph.D.) in engineering or related field
- Experience in early-stage drug discovery programs, including the target identification, target validation, hit-to-lead, and lead optimization processes
- Experience in a blend of basic, applied and translational science strategies, methods and approaches
ABOUT SOUTHERN RESEARCH
Southern Research (SR) represents a bold vision for an enduring industry-university partnership that advances research and discovery in life sciences and engineering. As we celebrate our 82nd year of operations, we are making transformational decisions to reinvigorate the institute by focusing our efforts to attract, retain, and develop top talent, and ultimately create jobs through translating ideas into innovation, and innovation into new ventures and economic opportunity.
ABOUT THE STATION 41 ACCELERATOR
The Southern Research Station 41 Accelerator was branded in 2022-2023 to take a refreshed approach to drug discovery and development with an eye to the “end game” first and foremost, backfilled by an appropriate and symbiotic mixture of basic, applied and translational science. Its previous name was the Alabama Drug Discovery Alliance. Its efforts will be connected to a Venture Studio concept and an Incubator concept. The applicant will also work closely with those two closely related initiatives. “Station” evokes Birmingham's history as a hub for the railroad industry and its traffic. “41” related to the year that SR began in 1941.