HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve worked hard to become the professional you are today and are now ready to take the next step in your career. How will you put your skills, experience and passion to work toward your goals? At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Come do your best work alongside other innovative, driven professionals in this meaningful role.
Associate Scientist Mammalian Protein ExpressionLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. Amgen is seeking a motivated and collaborative team member with protein expression experience to join the Discovery Protein Science group at our Amgen South San Francisco site. This group is responsible for designing and producing key enabling reagents to support early discovery programs and exploring groundbreaking novel protein modalities. The team member will primarily conduct recombinant protein expression using mammalian hosts and contribute to the development of automated high-throughput expression workflows while working in cross-functional teams.
- Express recombinant constructs using mammalian cell hosts (HEK293 & CHO) in deep-well plates and shaker flasks up to multiple liters.
- Analyze culture media by SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, and Octet to determine recombinant protein quantity and quality.
- Conduct protein expression optimization and troubleshooting.
- Operate and program robotic liquid handler (e.g. Tecan) for high-throughput protein expression.
- Summarize and report experimental results.
- Align with data entry and record-keeping requirements (e-notebook, LIMS).
- Contribute to technology development initiatives through your technical expertise.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The qualified professional we seek is a motivated contributor with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
- Masters Degree in a related subject area and 2 year of laboratory experience or
- Bachelors Degree in Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Cell Biology, Molecular Biology or a related subject area and 4 years of scientific laboratory experience
ThriveWhat you can expect of us
- Hands-on experience in recombinant protein production using mammalian expression systems in biotech/pharma industry settings.
- Experience in mammalian transient and stable pool protein expression workflow optimization
- Experience in automation including robotic liquid handler (e.g. Tecan), Kingfisher and LabChip.
- Ability to solve complex technical problems and work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.