HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
If you feel like youre part of something bigger, its because you are. At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies. We are global collaborators who achieve togetherresearching, manufacturing, and delivering ever-better products that reach over 10 million patients worldwide. Its time for a career you can be proud of.
Senior Manager Automation Engineering (Manufacturing Systems and Utilities)Live
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this role The Senior Manager is responsible for providing technical and administrative leadership to a group of Automation Engineers accountable for administrating and maintaining automation systems for Building 7 (B7) EPO Drug Substance manufacturing within MCS Operation at Amgen Thousand Oaks (TO). Responsibilities include meeting key performance metrics, leading and technically developing reports, and ensuring all targets and turning points are completed on time. The Sr. Manager also ensures that the automation team applies the Corporate Automation Business Processes and drivers to deliver the automation services to the organization.
As part of the Facilities & Engineering (F&E) group within the Manufacturing Clinical Supply (MCS) organization, the Senior Manager will work with the Director of Engineering (Automation) at Amgen Thousand Oaks. This role is expected to provide leadership as follows:
- Lead a team of Automation Engineers and serve as the main point of contact for automation function for B7 EPO manufacturing.
- Define, drive, and deliver the automation and process control strategy within EPO Drug substance manufacturing in Building 7.
- Serve as an experienced advisor to senior level management and ensure the automation development strategy aligns with Amgen Process Development strategy.
- Strategic and tactical management and leadership in providing 24x7 day-to-day operational support and capital project support, mentoring, staff development, team productivity, and efficient use of available resources.
- Develop support structures with internal/multi-functional teams for capital projects, plant support, and Amgen network-level initiatives' execution.
- Providing input into department objectives and establishing strategic direction within the Drug Substance Network for the F&E automation team.
- Maintain and improve capabilities and automation systems reliability in partnership with F&E and plant leadership, and other technical staff in the network, focusing on predict and prevent systems failures and recurrence avoidance.
- Develop the scope and life cycle upgrade plan in partnership with OEM, Manufacturing, DTI, and MCS GLAM DTI Lead.
- Work with diverse groups (Manufacturing, Quality, PD, Automation, IS, EHSS, Global Engineering) and drive new business processes to ensure continuous and sustained improvements. Translate business needs into engineering technology solutions. Lead analysis of alternatives and recommendations for technical/business proposals.
- Identify areas of potential improvement, conduct analysis, recommend solutions, sponsor improvement projects, and implement.
- Ensure site readiness and compliance for internal audits, external agency audits, and partner audits. Ensure the safety of all personnel during plant operations and engineering activities.
- Develop expense budget forecast and adhere to department budgets and spend for operational and capital expenses, holding 100% accountability.
- Be knowledgeable about compliance and regulatory aspects for operation and maintenance, equipment validation, and support regulatory inspections and audits.
- Responsible for Staff Management as it relates to on-site and remote work through Automation on-call support planning, execution and report out of the summary.
- Develop and issue a Monthly Automation newsletter including plant automation-related Highlights and lowlights.
- Ensure Amgen Enterprise cyber resiliency compliance is maintained at 100%.
- Accountable for reviewing every unit operation, cleaning & sterilization system to ensure that the operational functionalities are configured correctly in the automation systems as per the user requirements for robustness.
- Develop and maintain Preventive maintenance schedule for all automation assets in B7.
- Manage Spare parts Inventory assessment, Maximo asset allocation, and associated spare parts inventory management for all B7 EPO manufacturing systems, including plant central utilities.
- Ensure the right processes/systems are in place to capture 100% quality compliance for the right-first-time (RFT) delivery of automation solutions.
- Ensure that reporting functionality is incorporated for all EPO unit operations for production Batch records, cleaning, and sterilization systems, including Audit trail and version control.
- Responsible for ensuring that service contracts with all OEMs for EPO systems are established for service and support needs, including service banked hours for specialized support needs.
- Ensure that all the B7 automation staff are adequately trained and follow all GMP standards and procedures by managing the team's internal and external training needs.
- Ensure the automation staff are fully aware and confident to work on all automation systems, process equipment, and B7 facility to provide 24x7 reliable plant automation support.
- Responsible for ensuring that the automation team actively participates in daily/weekly WCT meetings Manufacturing area & plant WCTs, Automation WCT, Automation leadership WCT, etc. to address day-to-day topics and discuss issues with multi-functional teams to resolve.
- Responsible for ensuring the automation team provides the required support to implement expense, department capital, construction, and GLAM-DTI projects.
- Provide active leadership such that proactive feedback is solicited from the B7 automation staff and actions are taken to maintain proper work-life balance.
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The engineering management professional we seek will possess these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Engineering experience
Masters degree and 6 years of Engineering experience
Bachelors degree and 8 years of Engineering experience
associate degree and 10 years of Engineering experience
High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Engineering experience.
2 years of managerial experience directly managing people and/or leadership experience leading teams, projects, programs or directing the allocation of resourcesPreferred Qualifications:
- 10+ years of relevant work experience in Life Science with a major focus on Process control and automation systems.
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
The annual base salary range for this opportunity in the U.S. is $164,043 to $197,295.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.