Undergraduate Intern IT Security Engineer
United States - North Carolina - Raleigh
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.Undergraduate Intern -IT Security Engineer
As a Gilead intern you will contribute to high-impact meaningful projects that will not only further advance our company's mission but will allow you to gain real world experience at one of the most innovative organizations in the world. You will also have opportunities to participate in special events including professional development and leadership presentations, social/network building activities and local community volunteer programs.Key Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
The intern security engineer is a junior level role that will participate in security efforts and project across security, risk and compliance domains. The person in the role will be exposed to multiple domains and needs to be ready to quickly learn and get comfortable with new technical solutions and business processes. A strong sense of curiosity and willingness to dive in to get up to speed and help however possible is a key trait to be successful in this role.
- Work with Security, Risk and Compliance (SRC) stakeholders to determine / define needs and requirements for security capabilities to address business needs and mitigate risk
- Assist with the installation and configuration of technologies being evaluated and document scoring against defined, proof of concept requirements
- Perform research on new technologies and capabilities that may be relevant to SRC requirements.
- Document research findings using the Company's standard templates and present results and recommendations to the SRC leadership team.
- Create documentation including test cases and findings reports for POCs
- Create and maintain documentation as part of the hiring company's (the “Company”) project lifecycle
- Assist in formalizing and updating security policies, procedures and technical standards
- Demonstrate a curiosity in multiple security domains
- Showcase your work with a final poster board presentation near the conclusion of your internship
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0
- Authorized to work in the United States without Sponsorship now or in the future
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Bachelor's/Masters/MBA/PhD program at an accredited US based university or college
- Must be a Junior in undergrad or a Graduate or Doctoral Student
- Must be enrolled full-time in the Fall Semester at an accredited university/college after the completion of the internship
- Must be able to complete a 10-12 consecutive week internship between May and August
- Must be able to relocate if necessary and work at the designated site for the duration of the internship
- Minimum 2 years of IT experience and / or equivalent experience from university course work
- Ready to work in a fast paced, team environment and take direction and advice from more senior staff
- Must have a general understanding of some of the following security domains: Audit and Monitoring, Risk Response & Recovery, Cryptography, Data Communications, Computer Operations Security, Telecommunications & Network Security, Security Architecture & Models, Endpoint security and cloud security
Gilead Core Values:
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to identify issues and seek solutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity in the workplace
- Efficient, organized, and able to handle short timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Should have technical skills at a level sufficient to contribute to SRC's ongoing projects to which the role is assigned
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to adapt information delivery based on the target audience
- Ability to work in a fast paced, highly visible, changing environment
- Ability to build working relationships with partners, peers, and senior management
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Highly organized, results-oriented and attentive to details
- Self-motivated, proactive, independent and responsive
- Good presentation skills
- Able to perform other duties as assigned
- Ability to document technical solutions with excellent organization and grammar
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers
The expected hourly range for this position is $19.00 - $55.00.
Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including education level and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary.
Benefits include paid company holidays, sick time, and housing stipends for eligible employees.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.