Director, Corporate Development - Search & Evaluation (Cell Therapy)
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Job DescriptionGilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead's therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions, cancer, and inflammation, headquartered in Foster City, California.Director, Corporate Development- Search and Evaluation - Cell TherapyThe Search and Evaluation group in Corporate Development identifies, engages, and evaluates external preclinical and clinical-stage opportunities aligned with Gilead's R&D strategy in Oncology, Inflammation, and Virology. The key roles of the position are to lead evaluation of external opportunities, guide the deep scientific cross-functional diligence of select opportunities, and oversee and guide the presentation of diligence findings associated with transaction proposals presented to Gilead's Senior leadership. This role is based out of Foster City; however, we may consider other Gilead locations or remote.This position will focus on the identification and evaluation of external Cell Therapy opportunities. The role requires significant scientific expertise in Cell Therapy and a firm understanding of and significant experience in drug discovery and development in Biotech/Pharma. This position involves deep collaborative engagement with Gilead's/Kite's Cell Therapy R&D leadership to review opportunities for strategy/portfolio fit and build. Diligence efforts are supported internally by a highly collaborative effort utilizing teams comprised of functional delegates. The position enables and requires close partnership with colleagues in Corporate Development leading transactions and enables collaborative involvement in term sheet and contract negotiations. Search and Evaluation is a critical and primary role, however, the position also has the potential to enable career development more broadly in Corporate Development by allowing for transaction and contract experience with the potential for a future transition, if desired, from a science-focused role in Search and Evaluation to a more traditional transaction role in Corporate Development.Responsibilities and Job Functions
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills
- Proactively identify, engage, and evaluate external opportunities aligned with Gilead's R&D Cell Therapy strategies
- Work directly with Gilead's Competitive Intelligence group to understand therapeutic area landscapes including inflection points of key programs and to define competitive landscapes for external opportunities of interest
- Oversee and guide cross-functional scientific diligence teams assembled to evaluate selected opportunities and summarize overall assessments and recommendations
- Work in partnership with transaction colleagues in Corporate Development and cross-functional diligence teams to prepare and present opportunity proposals to Senior Leadership governance committees for approval
- Be a highly collaborative and inclusive team member of the Corporate Development organization
- Partner with Corporate Development Business leads to help define structure and terms for proposals
- The position also offers the opportunity to learn the financial, business, and contractual aspects of partnering and acquisitions based on the applicant's career aspirations.
- Bachelor's degree with 12+ years of professional and scientific experience, Master's Degree with 10+ years of scientific experience, or PhD/PharmD/DVM/MD or similar life sciences education with 5-8+ years of scientific experience in the biotech or pharmaceutical industry. Will strongly consider candidates who have significant scientific and Biotech/Pharma experience but no previous experience in corporate or business development
- Experience or previous role in Search and Evaluation is optimal
- Must have direct experience in and a deep understanding of drug discovery and development in the biotech/pharma industry
- Significant expertise and experience in one of Gilead's therapeutic areas Oncology, Inflammation, or Virology
- Ability to lead, guide and closely collaborate with cross-functional teams and effectively engage and communicate with team members and Gilead's leadership
- Strong commitment and demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and inclusively in a fast-paced organization.
- Advanced written and oral communication skills with the ability to engage summarize and objectively present complex scientific information
- Capable of managing and prioritizing parallel activities in a fast-paced work environment
The salary range for this position is: $214,795.00 - $277,970.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.