Director, IT R&D Medical Affairs & Safety Global Capability Lead - Foster City or Raleigh
United States - California - Foster CityUnited States - North Carolina - Raleigh
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases. Office Location: Foster City, CA POSITION OVERVIEW:
IT Business / Systems Analysis is a core job family within Gilead's broader Information Technology (IT) group. IT Business Analysts support Gilead business strategies and operations by taking the lead on evaluation, analysis and planning of technology, process and related business needs to enable more efficient business operations and faster, more effective achievement of business strategies and goals. IT Business Analysts work closely with business leads and other IT partner functions to develop and maintain in-depth understanding of business needs and objectives in both general business and technology realms. IT Business Analysts play a critical role in use case analysis, functional design specification, processing mapping, testing and validation of business technology solutions. IT Business Analysts lead the coordination of IT resources to deliver against business needs and objectives. This group stays abreast of dynamics and evolutions in their business and technology areas of assignment to proactively recommend future solutions or other opportunities to the business.
You will act as lead Business / Systems analyst to assigned business groups or for assigned IT domains. You may oversee and manage business systems analysis for a portfolio of projects, such as multiple systems / applications. You will oversee and direct or otherwise lead evaluation and feasibility analysis for new or updated systems or applications. You will oversee and direct or otherwise lead all analyses, planning and coordination of IT resources to support assigned projects, including compilation and recommendations on possible solutions, process or other implications, costs, etc. You will oversee and direct process updates, configuration, testing, troubleshooting and training for assigned projects or new / updated solutions. You will oversee and ensure technical support and problem resolution for customer inquiries and to resolve other operating issues. You will play a key role in supporting and modeling the culture within your team and the broader IT organization - a culture of high-performance, data-driven decision-making, value-driven prioritization, quality governance, and compliance. Specific Responsibilities & Skills
The Director IT R&D Medical Affairs & Safety Global Capability Lead will report to the Head of R&D IT and be responsible for overseeing functions including:
- Business Partnership: Partner with functional leaders in Research/Pre-Clinical, Regulatory Affairs and Clinical Development to deliver new and improved products. Understand the value drivers of the business and ensure IT solutions enable profitable commercial opportunities to grow revenue and market share
- Strategy: Contribute towards the objectives, priorities and goals of the organization and ensure KPI goals are achieved; Implement marketing automation, evolve operations, optimize business enablement, and build engagement analytics
- Management: Oversee the IT R&D Medical Affairs and Safety group including employees and contractors and improve customer and patient experience, improve speed to market, reduce cost per asset and campaign and help optimize agency spend across Marketing
- Improve Speed to Value: Continue work to invest in cloud-first business architecture, ensuring scalability to meet unanticipated business demand and continuously invest in innovation to incubate new opportunities for differentiated growth
- Data & Analytics: Develop of customer metrics while leveraging AI/ML to develop advanced insights across teams
Essential Duties and Job Functions
- Execute on current strategy: Build a scalable, agile foundation and mindset of capabilities, differentiated through intelligence and information, ensure an optimal customer experience, pursue long-term transformation while gaining incremental short-term value and work towards Clinical customer engagement optimization leveraging inputs. Lead complex, cross-functional execution of key strategic R&D projects and see them through to completion with internal and external stakeholders.
General responsibilities for this position will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Advises internal customers on short- and long-range technical strategies and opportunities
- Oversees and manages or otherwise leads business / user requirements gathering / needs analysis
- Oversees and manages or otherwise leads analysis for initial business case, resource requirements, categorization, and prioritization
- Ensures timely and appropriate analysis of current business processes and systems / applications and recommendations for improvement based on business needs and objectives, industry trends and best practices
- Experience in relevant platforms (Argus Suite, GLASS, PMDA, SSRS Eclipse, Egnyte, iEnvision), as well as other R&D Medical Affairs and Safety industry systems
- Ensures timely and appropriate design / documentation of business process flows for current and future state
- Ensures timely and appropriate design / documentation of user requirements and use cases
- Ensures timely and appropriate requirements and other analysis are provided to development teams for functional requirements definition
- Where applicable, collaborates on request for proposal submissions and responses, vendor evaluation, contract readiness and other assessments, such as GxP / SOX requirements
- Co-leads or otherwise participates in design reviews
- Ensures timely and appropriate development and delivery of test scenario definition
- Ensures timely and appropriate support for user acceptance testing (UAT), including reviewing UAT test results and collaborating with technical teams on any issue resolution
- Ensures timely and appropriate support for project roll-out on deployment / project delivery, including implementation requirements, project communications and training end users
- Leads or otherwise ensures timely and appropriate value affirmation analysis once the project is operational
- Oversees and guides enhancements, defect analysis, and recommendations for resolution
- Where applicable, manages vendor deliverables associated with own work
- Trains and mentors less experienced colleagues
- Ensures assigned work complies with established practices, policies, and processes and any regulatory or other requirements
- Participate on business strategy and capabilities as intake for R&D Medical Affairs and Safety
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. Please see the following for the qualifications and skills we seek for this role. Minimum Education & Experience
- 16+ years' relevant experience with High School Diploma
- 14+ years' relevant experience with AA
- 12+ years' relevant experience with BS / BA
- 10+ years' relevant experience with MS / MA / MBA
- Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
- Extensive IT experience in a corporate or other relevant business environment
- Significant experience supporting IT business systems analysis, planning, budgeting and coordination of IT resources to support business needs, including business process mapping, solution testing and user training
- Significant experience leading IT projects of varying size and complexity for one or more business functions, with a focus on Agile
- Significant experience supporting IT integrations and cloud transformations in a corporate or other relevant business environment
- Significant experience managing IT consultants and vendors
- Experience and proven effectiveness contributing expert input into longer-range IT and business strategies and roadmaps for relevant area / domain
- Experience overseeing, coaching and guiding the work of less experienced colleagues
Knowledge and Other Requirements
- IT experience in support of business areas in life sciences is preferred
- Familiar with many technologies and understands their capabilities and limitations
- Thorough knowledge of IT business systems analysis principles, practices, standards, methods and tools across the spectrum of end-to-end solution design, as evidenced by independence and effectiveness in leading projects of considerable scale and complexity
- Advanced business and financial acumen and able to apply this to strategically evaluate business, economic and technical trade-offs of possible solutions and options for both the short- and longer-range
- In-depth knowledge of dynamics and evolutions in own domain and is able to use this to develop domain expertise for less experienced colleagues
- Knowledge of best practices in IT or related project management, continuous improvements and change management
- Thorough knowledge of Agile and proven abilities to apply these to support IT solutions to meet business needs and objectives
- Thorough knowledge of SDLC and SLC relevant to business functions and their business and technology needs, including knowledge of the multiple IT functions involved
- Thorough knowledge of key programming languages and requirements relevant to assigned domain
- Knowledge of cloud computing, e.g., AWS, and migration requirements
- Knowledge of IT security, quality and risk management requirements relevant to assigned domain
- Strong working knowledge of installed technologies, with the ability to troubleshoot and resolve problems on existing technologies
- Understands how to leverage technical architecture to create optimal business solutions
- Understands UX principles, practices and techniques and is able to apply to IT solutions to ensure a good user experience
- Understands future trends in IT
- Knowledge of or aptitude to learn regulatory requirements relevant to the biopharma industry
- In-depth knowledge of all IT functions and services is preferred
- Strong communication and organizational skills. Demonstrable abilities to effectively communicate project direction and status to varying organizational levels, including leadership teams, executives, and steering committees
- Demonstrated excellence in complex project management and effectively managing multiple projects and priorities
- Strong leadership presence with demonstrated ability to lead without authority and influence programs, projects and/or initiatives
- When needed, ability to travel
The salary range for this position is: $199,835.00 - $258,610.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.