Sr Manager, IT Solution Architect Commercial IT
United States - North Carolina - Raleigh
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
At Gilead we believe every employee deserves a great leader. As a people leader now or in the future, we expect that you will model and create an environment of inclusion, be intentionally focused on the hiring, development, growth and retention of talent, and empower teams to align and achieve goals.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based biopharmaceutical company founded in 1987. Together we deliver life-saving therapies to patients in need. With the commitment and drive you bring to the workplace every day, you will be part of a team that is changing the world and helping millions of people live healthier, more fulfilling lives. Our worldwide staff is a close community where you can see the tangible results of your contributions, where every individual matters, and everyone has a chance to enhance their skills through ongoing development. Our scientific focus has resulted in marketed products that are benefiting hundreds of thousands of people, a pipeline of late-stage drug candidates, and unmatched patient access programs to ensure medications are available to those who could otherwise not afford them. By joining Gilead, you will further our mission to address unmet medical needs and improve life by advancing the care of patients with life-threatening diseases. Office Location
: Raleigh, NC POSITION OVERVIEW:
IT Architecture is a core job family within Gilead's broader Information Technology (IT) group. IT Architects support Gilead business strategies and operations by taking the lead on design of technology solutions to enable more efficient business operations and faster, more effective achievement of business strategies and goals. IT Architects work closely with business leads and other IT partner functions to develop and maintain in-depth understanding of business needs and objectives in both business and technology realms. IT Architects play a critical role in use case analysis, prototyping, blueprinting, functional design specification, processing mapping, building, testing, validation, and deployment of business technology solutions. This group stays abreast of dynamics and evolutions in their areas of expertise to proactively recommend future solutions or other opportunities to the business.
You will work with business leads and other IT partners to understand business needs and objectives and translate these into potential technology, process, or other relevant solutions. You will apply expertise in multiple areas in one domain, e.g., applications, infrastructure, security, data, etc., to assess and recommend potential technology, tools, process, and architecture options. Where applicable, you will participate in the identification and evaluation of third-party software, hardware and/or service options to meet business needs and objectives. You will provide input into project plan development to ensure alignment to architecture requirements and standards. You will stay abreast of domain, industry and other relevant dynamics and evolutions to maintain and evolve your expertise. You will play a key role in supporting and modeling the culture within your team and the broader IT organization - a culture of high-performance, data-driven decision-making, value-driven prioritization, quality governance, and compliance. Essential Duties and Job Functions
General responsibilities for this position will include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Leads or otherwise supports solution architecture initiatives in the assigned business area and/or other IT workstreams
- Sets the architectural strategic direction for roadmaps and initiatives in the assigned area, including contributing to the development and adoption of new architecture and standards
- Partners with other IT and business colleagues to capture, analyze and document technology needs and specifications
- Brings technical knowledge from external sources and incorporates this where appropriate into the overall architectural strategic planning
- Translates business requirements and use cases into architecture features and capabilities in order to meet business needs and specifications
- Participates in business case development for new projects / initiatives
- Partners with other IT and business colleagues to develop the project delivery work plan and schedule
- Leads the design and development of technology architecture in the assigned area
- Designs solution architecture models that enable achievement of business requirements while leveraging existing technologies and infrastructure where possible and ensuring effective and efficient integration / interoperability with other relevant technologies and infrastructure
- Develops solution architecture and standards that enable DevOps practices such as infrastructure as code, and automated continuous integration/continuous deployment (CI/CD)
- Continuously manages, monitors, and updates architecture models as business needs evolve and additional services become available, including optimizing solution architectures to manage costs and other efficiencies
- Uses cost/benefit models when mapping architecture models to business outcomes and key performance indicators
- Where applicable, manages vendor deliverables associated with own work
- Participates in post-project-implementation sessions to conduct value affirmation and determine any future actions
- Ensures assigned work complies with established practices, policies, and processes and any regulatory or other requirements
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. Please see the following for the qualifications and skills we seek for this role. Minimum Education & Experience
- 12+ years' relevant experience with High School Diploma or equivalent
- 10+ years' relevant experience with AA
- 8+ years' relevant experience with BS / BA
- 6+ years' relevant experience with MS / MA / MBA
- Computer Science or related discipline is preferred
- Significant IT experience in a corporate or other relevant business environment
- Some IT architecture experience relevant to IT area / domain of expertise
- Experience supporting IT integrations and cloud transformations in a corporate or other relevant business environment
- IT experience in support of business areas in life sciences is a plus
NOTE: Years of experience may not apply outside of the U.S. Knowledge & Other Requirements
- Advanced knowledge of assigned domain, including dynamics and evolutions in emerging technologies, tools and practices. Able to leverage this knowledge for appropriate and effective consultation and advice to business teams
- Working knowledge of IT architectural principles, practices, standards, frameworks (e.g., TOGAF), methods and tools across the spectrum of end-to-end solution design - from use case analysis to prototyping to blueprinting, to testing, validation and deployment
- Knowledge of best practices in IT or related project management
- Thorough knowledge of Agile and proven abilities to apply Agile methodologies to support IT solutions to meet business needs and objectives
- Thorough knowledge of SDLC and SLC relevant to business functions and their business and technology needs, including knowledge of the multiple IT functions involved
- Knowledge of cloud computing, e.g., AWS, and migration requirements
- Knowledge of IT security, quality and risk management requirements relevant to assigned domain
- Knowledge of the technical architecture for supported technologies
- Knowledge of principles, standards and techniques in creating and delivering technical documentation for supported technologies, as evidenced by ability to create appropriate technical documentation
- Understands UX principles, practices and techniques and is able to apply to IT solutions to ensure a good user experience
- Understands future trends in IT
- Experience in relevant platforms (Oracle, AWS, CRM), as well as other Commercial IT industry systems
- Knowledge of or aptitude to learn regulatory requirements relevant to the biopharma industry
- Demonstrated ability to be a fast learner
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and adaptable to change, to move between projects easily and provide support/expertise where needed
- Proven analytical abilities with high attention-to-detail as demonstrated through past experiences and/or academic achievements
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Ability to lead and influence programs, projects and / or initiatives
- When needed, ability to travel
The salary range for this position is: $146,200.00 - $189,200.00. Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including experience, qualifications, and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary. This position may also be eligible for a discretionary annual bonus, discretionary stock-based long-term incentives (eligibility may vary based on role), paid time off, and a benefits package. Benefits include company-sponsored medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans*.
For additional benefits information, visit: https://www.gilead.com/careers/compensation-benefits-and-wellbeing
* Eligible employees may participate in benefit plans, subject to the terms and conditions of the applicable plans.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.