Graduate Intern - Bioinformatics
United States - California - Foster City
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a research-based bio-pharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative medicines in areas of unmet medical need. With each new discovery and investigational drug candidate, we seek to improve the care of patients living with life-threatening diseases around the world. Gilead’s therapeutic areas of focus include HIV/AIDS, liver diseases, cancer and inflammation, and serious respiratory and cardiovascular conditions.Making an impact on a global scale
Inclusion is one of the company’s five core values. That’s because we know that we are stronger and more innovative at Gilead when we are informed by a diverse set of backgrounds, experiences and points of view. Gilead Sciences is a biopharmaceutical company that discovers, develops and commercializes innovative therapeutics in areas of unmet medical need. The company's mission is to advance the care of patients suffering from life-threatening diseases worldwide.
When you join Gilead, you join our mission to change the world by enabling people to live healthier and more fulfilling lives. Come join a mission-driven bio-pharmaceutical organization that values inclusion and diversity, has a strong portfolio of products, and is constantly #CreatingPossibleFor Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.
Gilead Sciences, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company that has pursued and achieved breakthroughs in medicine for more than three decades, with the goal of creating a healthier world for all people. The company is committed to advancing innovative medicines to prevent and treat life-threatening diseases, including HIV, viral hepatitis, and cancer. Gilead operates in more than 35 countries worldwide, with headquarters in Foster City, California.Graduate Intern - Bioinformatics
As a Gilead intern you will contribute to high-impact meaningful projects that will not only further advance our company's mission but will allow you to gain real world experience at one of the most innovative organizations in the world. You will also have opportunities to participate in special events including professional development and leadership presentations, social/network building activities and local community volunteer programs.Who We Are
The Clinical Bioinformatics and Exploratory Analytics team applies its expertise to support analysis, visualization, and interpretation of clinical datasets. These datasets include next-generation sequencing and clinical data collected from patients and associated pipeline development to aid in analyses these data. We work collaboratively with other functional teams to support drug development and translational programs in various disease areas.Job Overview
The ideal candidate will have a background in quantitative or life sciences and have a strong interest in the analysis and interpretation of patient-derived data. Interns will work closely with experienced data scientists on topics related to data visualization, integration, analysis, and pipeline development. The internship project will address relevant questions related to one or more of our core therapeutic areas, which may include oncology, virology, or inflammation disease areas. The intern will gain hands-on experience in statistical and computational methods for the analysis of biological and clinical data, as well as critical thinking skills. At the conclusion of the internship program, interns will make a poster and give a presentation summarizing their work to an audience with a broad scientific background across various functional teams.Key Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Learning and understanding the basic knowledge of the clinical trial life cycle
- Data visualization and analysis using machine-learning techniques and statistical methods
- Analysis of clinical or biomarker datasets
- Review of scientific literature for the interpretation of key findings
- Writing analysis reports
- Create, test, and run pipeline for analysis of clinical or biomarker datasets
- Discuss and convey findings through PowerPoint and poster presentations, including showcasing your work with a final poster board presentation near the conclusion of your internship
- Must show proof of full COVID-19 vaccination and first booster shot
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.8
- Authorized to work in the United States without Sponsorship now or in the future
- Must be currently enrolled as a full-time student in a Masters or PhD program at an accredited US based university or college
- Must be enrolled full-time in the Fall Semester at an accredited university/college after the completion of the internship
- Experience with R and/or Python and familiarity with Linux command line
- Excellent communication skills and strong self-motivation
- Must be able to complete a 10-12 consecutive week internship between May and August
- Must be able to relocate if necessary and work at the designated site for the duration of the internship
Gilead Core Values:
- Strong understanding of statistics
- Pursuing a degree in Bioinformatics, Biostatistics, Epidemiology, Computational Biology, Genomics, Computer Science, or related field
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite
- Ability to identify issues and seek solutions
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion and diversity in the workplace
- Efficient, organized, and able to handle short timelines in a fast-paced environment
- Integrity (Doing What's Right)
- Inclusion (Encouraging Diversity)
- Teamwork (Working Together)
- Excellence (Being Your Best)
- Accountability (Taking Personal Responsibility)
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact firstname.lastname@example.org
for assistance. For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the EEO is the Law poster.
We are an equal opportunity employer. Apply online today at www.gilead.com/careers
The expected hourly range for this position is $19.00 - $55.00.
Gilead considers a variety of factors when determining base compensation, including education level and geographic location. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary.
Benefits include paid company holidays, sick time, and housing stipends for eligible employees.
For jobs in the United States:
As an equal opportunity employer, Gilead Sciences Inc. is committed to a diverse workforce. Employment decisions regarding recruitment and selection will be made without discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, genetic information or characteristic, gender identity and expression, veteran status, or other non-job related characteristics or other prohibited grounds specified in applicable federal, state and local laws. In order to ensure reasonable accommodation for individuals protected by Section 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Vietnam Era Veterans' Readjustment Act of 1974, and Title I of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, applicants who require accommodation in the job application process may contact ApplicantAccommodations@gilead.com
For more information about equal employment opportunity protections, please view the 'Know Your Rights'
poster.NOTICE: EMPLOYEE POLYGRAPH PROTECTION ACTYOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAMILY AND MEDICAL LEAVE ACTPAY TRANSPARENCY NONDISCRIMINATION PROVISION
Our environment respects individual differences and recognizes each employee as an integral member of our company. Our workforce reflects these values and celebrates the individuals who make up our growing team.
Gilead provides a work environment free of harassment and prohibited conduct. We promote and support individual differences and diversity of thoughts and opinion.
For Current Gilead Employees and Contractors:
Please log onto your Internal Career Site
to apply for this job.