This Senior Counsel will become a key partner to support the legal needs of AbbVie’s Procurement and Supply Chain teams. The Senior Counsel will join a team of experienced attorneys and other legal professionals to provide valuable legal support in negotiating complex agreements for the purchase of goods, services, and emerging technologies. In this role, the Senior Counsel will be expected to interact regularly and effectively with senior management, internal business stakeholders, and suppliers. They must be strategic and innovative while handling a high volume of matters and be focused on bringing those matters to a timely conclusion.
This is a hybrid role based in AbbVie's Illinois Headquarters office 3 days/week.
Primary Job Function:
Responsible for preparing, reviewing, and negotiating complex commercial agreements and providing counsel in various substantive areas of commercial law, including manufacturing supply, packaging, R&D, compliance, quality, licensing, and healthcare.
Responsible for managing and providing legal support and counsel on a variety of commercial business transactions and supplier issues for the Procurement, Manufacturing Operations, and Supply Chain organizations and with respect to potential Licensing & Acquisition transactions.
Core Job Responsibilities:
- Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
- Takes ownership of matters and projects and drives them to conclusion.
- Identifies legal issues for assigned matters and helps business teams to address or resolve such issues.
- Assists other attorneys and stakeholders in resolving legal issues on cross-functional projects.
- Develops knowledge of AbbVie’s business and client concerns.
- Keeps abreast of changes in the law.
- Represents AbbVie externally to customers, suppliers, and competitors.
- Resolves legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise.
- Helps select and direct work of outside counsel.
- Law degree from an ABA accredited law school and in good standing with the state bar of the jurisdiction in which your office will be located (or ability to gain licensure in the state in which your office will be located)
- Minimum 7-12 years of experience in corporate or general transactional law and a record of demonstrated success in negotiating complex commercial agreements and counseling clients on a wide range of commercial business issues.
- An understanding of legal issues related to procurement, manufacturing, transportation, distribution, logistics, Licensing & Acquisitions, IT, outsourcing, compliance, IP, privacy, and the health care industry are beneficial.
- The successful candidate will have strong legal, analytical, problem-solving, decision-making, innovation, risk assessment, drafting, negotiating, and client communication skills, and will appreciate being a member of a collaborative Legal team.
AbbVie is committed to operating with integrity, driving innovation, transforming lives, serving our community, and embracing diversity and inclusion. It is AbbVie’s policy to employ qualified persons of the greatest ability without discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, status as a protected veteran, or any other legally protected group status.