Title: General Counsel
Reports To: President and CEO
Location: Redwood City, California
The General Counsel position will be responsible for overseeing the Company’s legal function. As the head of the department, the incumbent will be the top in-house legal executive, and the duties of this position include, but are not limited to, responsibility for corporate governance, securities, compliance, employment law, intellectual property, M&A, litigation, and privacy. The General Counsel provides senior management and the Board of Directors with effective legal counsel on company strategies and their implementation, manages the legal function, and assesses and manages risk.
- Advise senior management and the Board on a spectrum of legal issues, including compliance, portfolio strategy, securities regulations, commercialization agreements, risk management, government affairs, litigation and investigations, corporate structure, and operational matters.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations, including securities laws, corporate governance guidelines, and bio/pharma regulations.
- Provide leadership and guidance on mergers and acquisitions and business development and licensing transactions.
- Oversee contract management and negotiations, ensuring the company's interests are protected while minimizing legal risks.
- Advise on risk management strategies, identify potential legal exposures, and develop appropriate measures to minimize risks.
- Provide strong leadership, mentorship, and strategic guidance to the legal team.
- Allocate resources effectively, manage budgets, and ensure timely delivery of legal services.
- Oversee all litigation and legal disputes, including managing external counsel, if necessary.
- Enforce claims the Company may have against third parties, as appropriate, and defend the company against third-party claims and litigation.
- Coordinate responses to government investigations and regulatory inquiries.
- Advise on legal aspects of the Company’s financing activities and corporate structure.
- Oversee the preparation of securities disclosures and filings.
- Implement programs to prevent and detect violations of laws, company policies, and other misconduct.
- Promote ethical practices and ensure the adherence of compliance programs throughout the organization.
- Proactively address the rapidly evolving governance compliance environment, including changes in laws and regulations, and industry best practices.
- Provide oversight and leadership for all legal needs of the business, including but not limited to providing legal advice and guidance across business functions.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from an accredited law school and admission to the bar.
- 15+ years of general corporate legal or regulatory experience in biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industries with general counsel experience either in-house, in private practice, or a combination of both.
- Extensive experience advising senior management and the Board on a broad range of legal and compliance issues.
- Strong knowledge and expertise in portfolio strategy, securities regulations, commercialization, risk management, compliance, government affairs, litigation, corporate structure, and operations.
- Demonstrated track record of managing complex mergers and acquisitions, and business development and licensing transactions.
- Excellent leadership and management skills, with experience building and leading high-performing legal teams.
- Demonstrated experience in commercial legal analysis and planning, including effectively managing multiple projects and priorities.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to effectively influence across functional units and at all levels in the organization, as well as with external parties.
- Flexible, high level of integrity, action, and goal oriented.
- Commercial compliance experience is highly desirable.
- Experience with FDA and healthcare regulatory and compliance.
- Experience with public company reporting obligations.
- Working knowledge of US patent process and patent litigation.
The Base Salary Range for this position is $325,000 to $365.000. Coherus considers various factors, including professional background and work experience, when determining base pay. These considerations mean actual compensation will vary.
Coherus provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits unlawful discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. We also prohibit discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of these characteristics or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of these characteristics.
Beginning July 19, 2021, Coherus BioSciences requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Coherus BioSciences, and it applies regardless of whether the position is located at a Coherus BioSciences facility or is fully remote. If you are unable to receive the vaccine due to a disability or serious medical condition, or because it is prohibited as a result of your sincerely held religious beliefs, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation.
At Coherus, our employees are our most important asset. We have a dynamic and rewarding organizational culture that offers the opportunity to work with leading industry professionals who are dedicated to making a difference for patients. We are looking for individuals who see unlimited potential in themselves and are motivated by a continuous passion for breaking down barriers and expanding access to lifesaving therapeutics.
Coherus offers a competitive total rewards program comprised of various elements, including competitive base pay, short- and long-term incentives in the form of performance-based cash and equity, as well as health and wellness benefits that include
Healthcare: Coherus pays 90% of premiums for medical, dental, and vision coverage for our employees, their eligible spouses, dependents, and domestic partners.
- Health Savings and Flexible Spending Accounts
- Group Life, Disability, and Group Accident Insurance
- 401(k) with company match, and an Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Health & Wellness programs, including a Health Club Reimbursement and an Employee Assistance Program
In addition to providing attractive rewards packages, we encourage and support our employees to find the right balance of work and personal time. Coherus offers a variety of activities, perks, and holidays that encourage employees to have a healthy outlook, spend time outside of work with friends and family, and foster a productive and collaborative work environment. Our culture is one in which we challenge and support all our team members to do their best work.
For more information about Coherus, please check out: https://www.coherus.com/about-coherus/