At Element Biosciences, we are passionate about our mission to empower the scientific community with more freedom and flexibility to accelerate our collective impact on humanity. We have built a highly efficient product-driven organization where employees can learn, grow, and thrive in a challenging but encouraging environment. We are committed to scientific integrity, collegiality, honesty, objectivity, and openness.
We are seeking an experienced Senior Facilities Engineer who will play a pivotal role in providing technical expertise related to mechanical and HVAC systems used to support growing R&D and Manufacturing facilities. This is an incredible opportunity for someone who is passionate about leading parties through system design, qualification, daily troubleshooting, and equipment performance optimizations of Element’s growing facilities infrastructure. We are looking for candidates with a solid background in water purification (RO/DI) skids, HVAC units, chillers, centralized gas distribution systems, walk-in cold storage units, clean rooms, BMS/EMS system, and other plant utilities. Experience within the biotech/life sciences industry is a must. This role will report to the Facilities Manager and will be a San Diego based role.
If you possess the following and want to make a meaningful impact, we invite you to explore this role.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Maintain, operate, and repair all Element Biosciences’ facilities infrastructure systems and equipment, and lead preventive maintenance program
- Oversee all components of these systems, including drawings and schematics. Must have an understanding of compliance standards, and local building codes
- Communicate and coordinate with the landlord’s engineering team on construction projects, central plant PM’s, , and site operations issues
- Work cross functionally with lab operations, engineering, and scientific personnel to discuss plans, facilities modifications, and user needs
- Provide expertise and technical assistance for a 24-hour operational environment with limited documentation resources
- Respond to service calls and preventive maintenance inspections
- Track performance of routine and preventative maintenance to ensure availability of mechanical systems
- Test/validate systems to verify adherence to plans and specifications or to detect and locate malfunctions
- Train or assist with the training of facilities technicians and engineers
- Provide technical support and expertise for Building Management System (BMS), and building infrastructure. Familiarity with GMP processes and documentation a plus.
- Conduct building inspections to assess the current operational condition, document findings, and take appropriate follow up action
- Respond to critical alarms and participate in the on-call program for emergency service
Education and Experience:
- High School Degree/General Education Degree and successful completion of formal apprenticeship program. Bachelors degree is preferred.
- Certifications a plus - Siemens Desigo CC or similar BMS certification
- Experience in a GMP and/or ISO environment and experience with OSHA, EPA, and FDA regulations
- 10+ years of experience in biotechnology facilities
- 5+ years of experience with packaged equipment up to 100 tons, troubleshooting Variable Air Volume (VAV), Variable Refrigerant Volume (VRF), Variable Frequency Drive (VFD), and computer room air conditioning (CRAC) systems
- 5+ years of experience working with facility software tools, including, but not limited to, Building Automation Systems (BAS) and Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Experience with operation of Central H Plant (pumps, cooling towers, chillers, boilers)
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day
- Ability to travel approximately 10% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel
Base Compensation Pay Range:
In addition to base compensation noted above, you will be eligible for stock options, discretionary annual bonus, no cost health insurance plans, 401k with company match, and flexible paid time off.
Please note: Base compensation will depend on multiple factors, including geographic location, qualifications, and experience.
We foster an environment such that all people are afforded the freedom to pursue their passions without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, gender (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law.