HOW MIGHT YOU DEFY IMAGINATION?
Youve worked hard to become the professional you are today and are now ready to take the next step in your career. How will you put your skills, experience and passion to work toward your goals? At Amgen, our shared missionto serve patientsdrives all that we do. It is key to our becoming one of the worlds leading biotechnology companies, reaching over 10 million patients worldwide. Come do your best work alongside other innovative, driven professionals in this meaningful role.
Scientist Medicinal ChemistryLive
What you will do
Lets do this. Lets change the world. In this vital role you be part of an innovative Medicinal Chemistry group with responsibilities including (but not limited to) the design, synthesis, and purification of novel compounds for potential clinical drug development. This will also include the opportunity to work within Amgens Induced Proximity Platform (IPP), which is focused on novel and innovative approaches to modulate intractable targets in diseases using the emerging PROTAC modality.
- The Scientist will work in teams to develop, implement and perform organic reactions for ongoing Medicinal Chemistry teams, including troubleshooting of synthetic routes and reactions, scouting of new synthetic routes and performing high difficulty synthetic chemistry.
- Furthermore, you will contribute to the design of new compounds and the development of structure-activity relationships.
- This individual will perform structural determinations using NMR and mass spectral techniques and purify compounds using a variety of techniques.
- They will be recognized as a lab leader and should demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Additional responsibilities include maintaining laboratory notebooks, participating in group and project meetings and, as needed, presenting to groups and aiding in the writing of papers and patent applications
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The qualified professional we seek is a driven individual with these qualifications.Basic Qualifications:
- Masters degree and 3 years of laboratory experience OR
- Bachelors degree and 5 years of laboratory experience
- Doctorate degree in chemistry specializing in organic synthesis by June 2024 OR 6+ years of focus or specialization in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry (academic and/or industrial)
- Track record of accomplishments (e.g., peer-reviewed publications)
- Demonstrated ability to scout and troubleshoot synthetic routes, and perform high difficulty synthetic chemistry
- Clear understanding of structural determination using NMR and Mass Spectral techniques as well as knowledge of purification methods
- Demonstration of good lab practices, with particular attention to safety
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral), leadership skills and the ability to work well in teams
What you can expect of us
As we work to develop treatments that take care of others, we also work to care for our teammates professional and personal growth and well-being.
In addition to the base salary, Amgen offers a Total Rewards Plan comprising health and welfare plans for staff and eligible dependents, financial plans with opportunities to save towards retirement or other goals, work/life balance, and career development opportunities including:
- Comprehensive employee benefits package, including a Retirement and Savings Plan with generous company contributions, group medical, dental and vision coverage, life and disability insurance, and flexible spending accounts.
- A discretionary annual bonus program, or for field sales representatives, a sales-based incentive plan
- Stock-based long-term incentives
- Award-winning time-off plans and bi-annual company-wide shutdowns
- Flexible work models, including remote work arrangements, where possible
for a career that defies imagination
Objects in your future are closer than they appear. Join us.careers.amgen.com
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider you without regard to your race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.