About the role:
At Takeda, we are a forward-looking, world-class R&D organization that unlocks innovation and delivers transformative therapies to patients. By focusing R&D efforts on three therapeutic areas and other targeted investments, we push the boundaries of what is possible in order to bring life-changing therapies to patients worldwide.
Are you looking for a patient-focused, innovation-driven company that will inspire you and empower you to shine? Join us as a Senior Scientific or Medical Director/Head of Clinical Imaging in our Cambridge, Massachusetts office.
- As a core member of the PTS Center of Excellence for Imaging Lead Team develops and delivers on the Clinical Imaging Strategy, as well as, directs, coaches and supervises the Clinical Imaging Scientists in Takeda’s Clinical Imaging Group to optimize the impact of the use of imaging methods on decision-making in clinical development
- Provides strategic oversight and scientific leadership for efforts to develop and validate novel, or utilize existing, imaging biomarkers to support the translational and clinical portfolio for all of Takeda’s three Therapeutic Areas (Neuroscience, Gastrointestinal and inflammation, and Oncology)
- Provides technical and strategic advice to senior leadership and to programs seeking to employ imaging biomarkers
- Contributes to building and maintaining a global external clinical Imaging network for Takeda
How you will contribute:
- Provides leadership and strategic direction to the Clinical Imaging Scientists, ensuring rigorous validation of new methods and impactful implementation of imaging in clinical trials
- Provides leadership and strategic direction for the technical validation of imaging methods and their deployment in Takeda-sponsored clinical trials
- Serves as an in-house Subject Matter Expert in Imaging, especially in translational and clinical development
- Identifies and evaluates novel imaging technologies for transformative potential and applicability to drug development, with an emphasis on methods applicable across therapeutic areas
- Works closely with other PTS-Imaging sub-functions (Preclinical Imaging, Imaging Data and Analytics Lab [iDAL], Imaging Technology) and cross-functional partners (Therapeutic Area Units [TAUs], Data Sciences Institute [DSI], PTS, etc.) to develop translational and cross-therapeutic area synergies, leveraging the latest developments at the intersection of biology, technology and data science
- Ensures that Clinical Imaging activities are aligned with therapeutic areas’ strategies and goals
- Builds synergies with other PTS functions, such as Biomarker Sciences and Technology (BS2T), Drug Metabolism and Pharmacokinetics and Modeling (DMPK&M), Comparative Medicine, Drug Safety and Evaluation (DSRE), Quantitative Sciences and Non-Clinical Regulatory Writing and Submission (NRWS)
- Builds and maintains relationships with key cross-functional internal stakeholders involved in translational research and clinical development (drug discovery units, translational research, and clinical therapeutic area units)
- Provides advice and recommendations to senior leadership and development teams about the appropriateness, utility, feasibility, limitations and benefits of various imaging techniques
- Oversees Clinical Imaging spending requests and ensures that Clinical Imaging-related spending is within established guidelines
- Works closely with preclinical imaging leadership to ensure smooth translation of imaging biomarkers and alignment between preclinical and clinical platform activities
- Enables the conduct of imaging studies across technological platforms and geographies
- Maintains a state-of-the-art knowledge of advances in imaging and assesses these advances for their potential value for Takeda’s portfolio
- Serves as a knowledgeable Takeda representative on imaging issues to external imaging experts, imaging biomarker activities and consortia
- Contributes to developing external relationships with key academic imaging centers, imaging diagnostics companies and imaging CROs
- Maintains a scientific profile in the broader community via participation in relevant conferences, consortia and scientific disclosures
DIMENSIONS AND ASPECTS
Technical/Functional (Line) Expertise
- Requires deep knowledge of imaging science, especially in PET and/or MRI
- Requires experience and understanding of the drug development environment
- Requires experience in conduct of clinical trials with Imaging endpoints
- This position will be a highly visible clinical imaging expert within Takeda interacting with bench scientists, program leads, translational scientists, clinicians through VP-level management
- Will need the ability to accomplish goals through working collaboratively with project teams and management external to the Imaging group
Decision-making and Autonomy
- Will have substantial authority to manage and lead the Clinical imaging group
- Will have substantial authority to advise if/when imaging biomarkers are incorporated in clinical development
- Will ensure robust application of imaging biomarkers to portfolio programs, provide authoritative interpretation of the results and represent the findings to project teams and senior management
- Will require substantial engagement with senior scientists and management of cross-functional groups within Takeda
- Will require substantial interaction with the Imaging lead team, fellow imaging scientists and other cross-functional partners
- Will require effective interaction with leadership at external imaging core labs and academic sites
- Will require awareness and development of novel imaging biomarkers as warranted
- Will require the development of innovative imaging solutions for complex clinical problems
- Advanced degree (PhD scientist/engineer/physicist, or MD) with imaging expertise
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in imaging (post-PhD or post-MD)
- Experience in clinical drug development as well as design and implementation of imaging in clinical trials
- Cross-imaging modality expertise strongly preferred (especially MRI and PET) including knowledge of technical fundamentals
- Experience in preclinical as well as clinical imaging preferred, to facilitate translation
- Pragmatism to apply innovative imaging technologies in a “fit for purpose” manner in the drug discovery process
- Ability to engage in discussions on imaging biomarkers in innovative drug discovery from early preclinical through to late-stage development.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills, including presentational capabilities
- Good people skills, ability to work effectively with people from diverse backgrounds and expertise
- Superior analytic and problem-solving skills
- Agility and ability to respond quickly to changing situations
- Willingness to travel to both internal and external meetings, including overnight trips. National and international travel is required.
- Requires approximately 5-10% travel
What Takeda can offer you:
- Comprehensive Healthcare: Medical, Dental, and Vision
- Financial Planning & Stability: 401(k) with company match and Annual Retirement Contribution Plan
- Health & Wellness programs including onsite flu shots and health screenings
- Generous time off for vacation and the option to purchase additional vacation days
- Community Outreach Programs and company match of charitable contributions
- Family Planning Support
- Flexible Work Paths
- Tuition reimbursement
More about us:
At Takeda, we are transforming patient care through the development of novel specialty pharmaceuticals and best in class patient support programs. Takeda is a patient-focused company that will inspire and empower you to grow through life-changing work.
Certified as a Global Top Employer, Takeda offers stimulating careers, encourages innovation, and strives for excellence in everything we do. We foster an inclusive, collaborative workplace, in which our teams are united by an unwavering commitment to deliver Better Health and a Brighter Future to people around the world.
This position is currently classified as "hybrid" in accordance with Takeda's Hybrid and Remote Work policy.
- The role is based in Cambridge, MA
- Travel requirements may be 5-10%, primarily within the USA
Base Salary Range: $244,300 - $349,000. Employees may also be eligible for Short Term and Long-Term Incentive benefits. Employees are eligible to participate in Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, 401(k), Charitable Contribution Match, Holidays, Personal Days & Vacation, Tuition Reimbursement Program and Paid Volunteer Time Off.
The final salary offered for this position may take into account a number of factors including, but not limited to, location, skills, education, and experience.
Takeda is proud in its commitment to creating a diverse workforce and providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, parental status, national origin, age, disability, citizenship status, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, status as a Vietnam era veteran, special disabled veteran, or other protected veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws, and any other characteristic protected by law.Locations
USA - MA - Cambridge - Binney StWorker Type