: Director, Bioinformatics
: VP, Bioinformatics
: Richmond / Remote
Sangamo Therapeutics is a genomic medicine company building value with cutting-edge work across four distinct but complementary technology platforms – gene therapy, cell therapy, in vivo
genome editing, and in vivo
genome regulation. Using its deep scientific expertise and proprietary zinc finger genome engineering technology, Sangamo is working to create genomic cures for patients suffering from severe genetic diseases for which today's medicines can only treat symptoms. At Sangamo, we are passionate about transforming lives by building a robust, sustainable, differentiated, innovative, and high value genomic medicine pipeline that addresses patients with life-limiting conditions. Sangamo takes pride in being the first to edit endogenous human genes, first to treat patients with gene edited T cells, and first to treat patients with in vivo
genome editing. Our top priority is to meet the needs of patients with commitment and compassion. Along with our commitment to science and to our patients, we also endeavor to create an inclusive environment that promotes and values diversity. Sangamo is a company where individuals can flourish, grow and develop their expertise.
We are seeking top talent to join our mission. Let's build a better future together.
Sangamo Therapeutics is seeking an experienced and innovative Director to lead a team of Bioinformatics Scientists and Computational Biologists to work on transcriptomics and to support diverse research in genomic medicine. The successful candidate will oversee and guide the analysis of multi-omic datasets to further develop therapeutic clinical leads and support our clinical pipeline. We are looking for a bold problem solver with a strong analytical and statistical background who can effectively communicate with Molecular Biologists, Immunologists, and other Bioinformaticians to guide experimental design and the interpretation and presentation of data. The position requires adaptability, creativity, and a capacity for constant innovation in pursuit of company goals. The environment is exciting and fast-paced and offers the opportunity to work and publish at the cutting edge of genome engineering research.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIREMENTS:
- Supervise a core Bioinformatics team that exists within a corporate research environment.
- Partner with internal stakeholders in Immunology, Cell and Gene Therapy, and Neuroscience to gather and provide scientific input.
- Coordinate a diverse team of scientists to lead the development of computational applications to perform scientific analyses in genomic medicine.
- Propose and implement innovative bioinformatics solutions to improve and extend existing workflows.
- Standardize analyses and automate internal bioinformatics tools into solutions which can be effectively used by researchers.
- Work with IT partners and external service providers to support R&D staff with evolving needs for cloud computation, data management and security.
- Enable specificity analysis for genomic medicine development (using RNA-seq, scRNA-seq, full length RNA sequencing and other-omics) to generate robust, interpretable, actionable results from NGS and other data sources.
- Be responsible for the design, analysis, implementation, and interpretation of epigenetics experiments (ChIP-Seq, ATAC-Seq, Cut&Run/Tag, Hi-C/HI-CHIP/CaptureC).
- Streamline and optimize novel methodologies to identify disease-causing genomic and transcriptomic variants and find actionable targets for therapeutic development.
- Partner with stakeholders and other Bioinformaticians to manage, clean, and access data to accelerate data science goals.
- Work in collaboration with internal and external partners to design functional genomics experiments for therapeutic target selection and the successful advancement to clinical therapies.
- Maintain and demonstrate a level of quality, professionalism, and integrity to deliver therapies for patients.
- M.S. or PhD in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Bioengineering or affiliated field, preferably with 10+ years of industrial or post-doctoral experience and at least 5 years managing a diverse team.
- Track-record of leading a small group of core performers and delivering bioinformatics support, applications and pipelines.
- Demonstrated ability to manage priorities and work in a team-oriented, multidisciplinary environment.
- Experience with established and emerging technologies for Next Generation Sequencing (Illumina, PacBio, 10X Genomics, Affymetrix, etc.) and their computational processing.
- Experience deploying cloud computing and establishing cost structures with service providers that are sustainable for organizational needs.
- Experience with gathering user requirements, architecting software applications, and implementing software engineering best practices via partnering with software engineering leads.
- Proficiency in Statistics, Python, R, and Bash scripting.
- Experience with data management and using a version control system such as Git, in Linux operating systems.
Sangamo is an equal opportunity employer
- Experience with molecular design for genome engineering (Zinc Fingers, TALs, CRISPR, miRNA, shRNA, etc.)
- Experience handling complex data sources and applying machine learning to biological datasets.
- Knowledge and experience of lab workflow, neurology, immunology, and molecular biology.
- Knowledge of developing data pipelines using workflow engines such as Airflow, Snakemake or Nextflow and cloud computing resources.
- Knowledge of best practices for traceability and reproducibility of computational analyses.
Sangamo is committed to fostering belonging for all employees and embraces diversity, equity, and inclusion in recruiting and hiring. All qualified applicants for employment are encouraged to apply and will be considered without regard to an individual's race, color, sex, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family care status, marital status, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Commitment to Safety
Sangamo requires all U.S. workers to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as of their start date. This requirement is a condition of employment at Sangamo, and it applies regardless of location or classification of role. If you are unable to receive the vaccine, you will have an opportunity to request a reasonable accommodation consistent with applicable laws.
The anticipated salary range is for candidates who will work in our Brisbane or Point Richmond, CA offices. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience with the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education, etc.. This salary range may not apply to remote positions that work in other states.
Note to External Recruiters
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from any source other than from the candidates themselves. If you wish to be considered for the presentation of candidates, please email email@example.com. We will reach out to you directly if there is a business need for your services.